Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: What did you think then?
It was a cool statement and a good idea 27 49.09%
It was a sales push but that's fine 19 34.55%
Meh 5 9.09%
It was a sales push and that's a bit sad 2 3.64%
It was unequivocally a bad idea 0 0%
Other (show your workings) 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2013, 22:29
Doors slowly closing

I voted 'It was a cool statement and a good idea' though I also agree that 'It was a sales push but that's fine'. I think it was both those things. And I think it'd be quite hard to construct a good argument as to why this was really so different to playing CD:UK or Gimme 5 or Strictly Come Dancing (still don't agree with anyone's problem with that either) or The Andrew Marr show or even TOTP really… any subversion should be inherent in the music and lyrics, regardless of where it's performed or played. If it has an extra layer of irony in certain contexts that's just a bonus.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
| I know our time has come and gone / At least we blazed a trail and shone |
Old 02-07-2013, 22:33
Winterlover

Good vocal performance, excellent trolling within the context of the absolute worst thing in the music industry. Next time they should play Of Walking Abortion to really irritate them.
Old 02-07-2013, 22:43
I live to fall asleep

Just watched it now on Youtube. It's good exposure for them, more people should hear them. it was strange hearing the song play at the end with the "Aaaaahhh" and James also singing over it, never seen them do that before. I enjoyed seeing them though on a TV show, even though I don't watch shows like this. If it gets them some more sales and people interested in them then cool
Old 02-07-2013, 22:45
I live to fall asleep

According to the bands FB page its heading up the charts in NZ which is a result.
Old 02-07-2013, 23:06
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Just watched it now on Youtube. It's good exposure for them, more people should hear them. it was strange hearing the song play at the end with the "Aaaaahhh" and James also singing over it, never seen them do that before. I enjoyed seeing them though on a TV show, even though I don't watch shows like this. If it gets them some more sales and people interested in them then cool
The weirdest part for me is hearing James sing it live, but at its normal tempo. It gets sped up when they play it live, I've become so used to the loud guitars and quicker pace.
Old 02-07-2013, 23:41
Bored of being bored

it was very punk. A lyrics such as "if you tolerate this then your children will be next" on the X factor is making a statement..

they came from an era where it was about blue collar music. play in a band and write your own songs and learn the instrument.

these days it feels like the charts are a wash with none of that.

Last edited by bigboots; 02-07-2013 at 23:44.
Old 03-07-2013, 00:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
The only opinion I have is that if X Factor NZ have decided to have the Manics on and have them do a song that was a No.1 in 1998 then it must have pretty shit standards and no real audience (sorry Manics!). Melanie Blatt on the panel? Jesus.
What does when it was written have to do with the quality of the song? That doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12
I live to fall asleep

I voted "other" and as I have given my reasoning already this morning in the Newspapers thread, here's a self-quotation:

But seriously, this indie whining starts pissing me of - even though I think performances like this are cringeworthy. But there's nothing more Manicsy than media-whoring on cringeworthy TV programmes. They LOVE doing that, they think it's subversive I assume. They've always done it!
And a bunch of grannies clapping along to "baby death's our only friend" surely made me chuckle a bit (at Strictly).

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 03-07-2013, 06:26
Stretched out in the sun

Nicky Wire's always slagging stuff off, X Factor must've had a turn by now? It's audacious and I love it.

Eh, yeah it is promo but whatever. Every band that's ever signed a record deal has "sold out". As far as a desparate push for sales goes, I think that'd hold more water if they'd played summat off Generation Terrorists or a new song but playing If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next isn't gonna be the one to make that push. This Is My Truth has been in more bargain bins, second hand and charity shops than I've had hot dinners, there have probably been about 15 brand new copies of it sold this century. Yeah, there's downloads but if appearing on X Factor was a sales push, they picked the wrong song. If appearing on X Factor was their way sticking their fingers up at an even shittier aspect of the record industry, they've gone the right way about it I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
What does when it was written have to do with the quality of the song? That doesn't make any sense.
Absolutely nothing to us, but to an X Factor audience that consistently shows over and over that their performers are here today gone tomorrow it's gonna mean a lot more.

Last edited by sculptureofabloke; 03-07-2013 at 06:31.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
I think the band needs to earn their bread, so they accepted to play there. But, of course, a band like the Manics wouldn't merely just play at a place like that, so they chose the song very carefully to deliver their message with this most commercial song of theirs ever.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57
Stretched out in the sun

It still bemuses me that Tolerate is their biggest hit. I love it but I don't think it has the feel of a hit at all, think it's as much to do with timing as anything. If it were released now I'm sure it'd sink without a trace, but eh, maybe if Some Kind Of Nothingness were released in 1998 that could've been a hit.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03
Doors slowly closing

I didn't know they were in X Factor NZ... but I don't care, I like X-factor...

Old 03-07-2013, 10:18
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I don't mind The X factor, yes, we all agree that Cowell is a dick, it's ruining the music industry blah blah, ruining christmas #1s in the UK, blah blah, exploiting the people who obviously shouldn't be on TV blah blah. But anyone who doesn't wanna appear there, they don't. So the Manics obviously a) wanted it b) were partially made to do it by their record company (but they still wanted it). I think James&Sean don't care about these things that much, but Wire's more into it.
Anyway, it's a good for the exposure and the sales boost, cuz let's face it, many people watch it.
Now, the next stop - The XF UK, I just have to hear their name said by Peter Dickinson!
EDIT: It's funny that there are naive people who think that it was a statement. Statement my ass! If it was about that, they'd appear on THE XF UK ages ago! (watched by more people, even throughout the rest of Europe)

Last edited by yanushka; 03-07-2013 at 10:29.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22
Doors slowly closing

what I thought when I see the video? "yeah! a new Manics video!!" I didn't really care where it was.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:48
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Am I the only one smirking at the delicate irony of 'not-performing' (it's a backing track) on X Factor?