Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-07-2024, 13:00
Born to end

Westminster more ugly than a gas chamber - if you wanted to demonstrate the Manics early lyrical approach in one line, that would be a strong choice! But more importantly: does this mean they hate Westminster more than Slowdive or not? Haha

Bethlehem Radio is a good one. Never quite got that one, although the WWII link is interesting!

I never quite got one of the lines in Black Holes for the Young: "Sandy, sandy feet, ice cream to sleep." I've always thought the song was about souless London urban young professional types, so where does the sand come in? Stretching further afield to Brighton? Is 'Ice Cream to Sleep' a reference to people being so childish that they have to have a kids treat to put them to sleep?
Old 16-07-2024, 13:34
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_yrself View Post
I never quite got one of the lines in Black Holes for the Young: "Sandy, sandy feet, ice cream to sleep." I've always thought the song was about souless London urban young professional types, so where does the sand come in? Stretching further afield to Brighton? Is 'Ice Cream to Sleep' a reference to people being so childish that they have to have a kids treat to put them to sleep?
I remember Nicky saying it's about London in general and how he hated it - especially the whole coffee shop culture that had just started to become fashionable. There's a hilariously grumpy quote from him in 98:

""Drinkin' 100 percent car fumes! I’d just go in my back garden with a flask and sit there if I wanted to be 'continental!'"

So I reckon the 'sandy, sandy...' line is probably a reference to summer holidays on the beach, an early appearance for Tenby - as there are a few bits in the lyric where he's yearning for home.
Old 16-07-2024, 14:04
I live to fall asleep

This one has always confused me.

"Take the GIs, I will have the spies"
Old 16-07-2024, 14:19
Born to end

Genius, of all places, suggests the following for the GI's line:

"The final line draws on Cold War imagery of the East and West exchanging prisoners.

This implies a tacit peace and a resolution of the unspoken conflict between the sisters, and the society that institutionalised them."

I don't know if that's correct but I can see how it fits.
Old 16-07-2024, 15:08
I live to fall asleep

I always thought the last line of Tsunami was quite a nostalgic line about a memory of Nicky and his brother playing with toy soldiers - to extend the idea of the song being about inseparableness between siblings seeing as the main levels of the song might well about the silent twins / about Nicky and Richey / about Nicky and his brother.
Old 17-07-2024, 19:03
An imitation of dignity

Off the top of my head, "Cut your hair in front of businessmen" (Sorrow 16) and "As a ball with a touch feels through its fall" (Too Cold here) are odd lines for me.
Old 18-07-2024, 09:24
Born to end

"Cut your hair in front of businessmen" I took as being either the idea of making yourself presentable for the approval of bosses who will employ you as a wage slave. Alternatively, it could be a cynical jab at the music biz - record labels are businesses after all, and they will try to dictate or jump into trends, image of bands being a big part of that
Old 18-07-2024, 09:58

Sorrow 16's full of lines that seem to have been influenced by the Situationists - for me the song mostly seems to be about the people who conform to things like expected ambitions/appearances, and how the Manics refuse to do that. So yes, cut your hair so people know you're going to do what's expected of you.

There are a couple of lines that make me think they're talking about someone more specific - "Your Vanity Kills People / Paint Your Ego In Blood." Not sure who though. Patrick Bateman just sprang to mind but the song was released before American Psycho was published - so much for that theory.
Old 23-08-2024, 08:37
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_yrself View Post
Is 'Ice Cream to Sleep' a reference to people being so childish that they have to have a kids treat to put them to sleep?
Studio 1997/98

Nicky:... So... noone else gets an ice cream before going to?...
Sean': We'll stick it as a b-side. Stick it as a fucking b-side...
Old 23-08-2024, 10:15

Is it not I scream instead of ice cream (the inverse to Peeled Apples "The more ice cream, the Morrissey")

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 23-08-2024, 14:22
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Is it not I scream instead of ice cream (the inverse to Peeled Apples "The more ice cream, the Morrissey")
This reminds me of the good days on the forum around 2009 when JFPL was out.

The more I see, the less ice cream....

Trespass your torments, Nicky Wire who you wanna be?

Ah the memories!
Old 23-08-2024, 22:14
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Found That Soul* View Post
This one has always confused me.

"Take the GIs, I will have the spies"
Think this thread gets the closest to explaining that line… http://foreverdelayed.org.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=59945
Old 24-08-2024, 14:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
This reminds me of the good days on the forum around 2009 when JFPL was out.

The more I see, the less ice cream....

Trespass your torments, Nicky Wire who you wanna be?

Ah the memories!
Zane Lowe's "yeah man, bravo".
Old 27-08-2024, 17:45
Winterlover

The one that I've always intended to ask Wire about if I bump into him in the street*.....

Look through my venetian blinds
Dusting the past off my mind
Seeing orange everywhere

So....... anyone??

*my ex actually did once bump into him in the street and, rather sweetly, the first time she got to say the words 'my boyfriend' about me was to Nicky Wire of all people.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 28-08-2024, 08:30
Stretched out in the sun

Is it too obvious to give an honourable mention to 'Revol', a song so baffling not even the rest of the band know what the hell Richey was on about?

I can remember having a really in depth and lengthy conversation with a friend of mine about "got no future, just dead stars for dead eyes" and our completely different interpretations of it.

He thought it reflected the inevitable decay and entropy of life and the universe, but I imagined it related to the vacuity and shallowness of certain elements of pop culture and how that airlessness is received and reflected by people who don't want to care.

(Ah, to be a pretentious teenager again...)