Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 07-04-2024, 16:40
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
It charted at no.2 so not terrible.
Made no reference to the single - both charted at 2, which was clearly just fans buying for b-sides - just the album being their worst charting since GT (and effectively being much worse because they were practically household names rather than newcomers).

Now that the probable deluxe editions have dried up, I wonder if there's any chance at all for a Lipstick Traces II, basically tying up any b-sides and bonus tracks that aren't on the deluxe editions. Basically TBTGOG, God Save the Manics, and everything from JFPL onwards. It'd be really nice just to have a shelf with everything they've released on it.
Oh and a reissue of the 3CD version of GT, even if it's just in a digibook, would be bloody lovely too.
Old 07-04-2024, 20:49
Builder of routine

Page 20! Fully intend to buy the standard issue (Future me: Nooooo!!!) as I'm confident Lifeboat buyers can crack the top ten. Drop out probably next week granted!
Notice how Radcliffe and Maconie were on holiday at 6Music this weekend?
Publicity should kick off this week. As I said pages back, if it's going to be added to initial 2004 chart identification. Then come on! This time we can surpass 13!
I'm calling top five. Sheryl Crow new album 90 on 100 Album chart, but in the top ten on the physical.
They've been very coy about how many boxes have been sold? There's been nothing to drum up publicity for needed business in interviews. I know they've always been modest but probably none of my business.
Not got space (It's all my WRITING!) to buy digital. But physical the box and then standard from HMV.
Plans from the 15th if not before. Lifeblood finally going top ten in the UK album charts.
That sentence again. Lifeblood in the top ten charts. We can do this!
All wings spreadle out whatever star wars reference.
Old 08-04-2024, 15:41
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
FD didn't go down particularly well with the fanbase because of the tracklisting being biased towards EMG/TIMT. Plus a largely pointless set of remixes on CD2 of the limited edition. But then again it's ended up selling 600,000 copies.
Greatest hits albums aren't aimed at die hard fans of bands. To appeal to the wider public the radio friendly hits were always going to be included.

The biggest crimes were using the radio edits and not including Roses in the Hospital on the album despite the song giving the album its name. Whilst Nicky later said it should have been included ahead of So Why So Sad, that would have meant having nothing at all from Know Your Enemy on the album.
Old 08-04-2024, 19:20
Desire on its knees

I've always felt I'm in the minority of one on here by not particularly rating 1985 as a track, but I have to say that Steve Wilson remix has finally opened my ears to it.

The first four minutes or so go on a fair bit (I know, 1980s extended 12" remixes and all that), and at first I thought it was going to end up in typical Manics remix territory (endless dance loop of one main motif, vague hint of the original track, listen once and forget, etc)... but when the song proper kicks in after that build up, I'm getting more than I ever got from the album version... those little Peter Hook-esque high-fret bass riffs, the beefier crunch of the guitars throughout... I can almost (almost!) get over what I still feel are Nicky's poorest lyrics on the album...
Old 08-04-2024, 21:36

Having radio edits on hits albums is generally the done thing.
Old 09-04-2024, 14:44
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
Greatest hits albums aren't aimed at die hard fans of bands. To appeal to the wider public the radio friendly hits were always going to be included.

The biggest crimes were using the radio edits and not including Roses in the Hospital on the album despite the song giving the album its name. Whilst Nicky later said it should have been included ahead of So Why So Sad, that would have meant having nothing at all from Know Your Enemy on the album.
Totally. Ideally they'd have done something more like National Treasures, but back then the record company no doubt wanted the greatest hits all on one CD - commercial reasons too, like Everything Live was the edit instead of the whole show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTMA View Post
Having radio edits on hits albums is generally the done thing.
Although if they'd included the Roses radio edit, that would've been shit. I bought FDTW in 1993, first Manics purchase. But the RITH edit annoyed the crap out of me and, being a fickle kid, put me off them again til late 1994.

Last edited by counterlanguage; 09-04-2024 at 15:04.
Old 09-04-2024, 14:52
Builder of routine

In the reviews one mentioned Gwenno has a psychedelic remix and that's made me grin my ear. I really loved Gwenno when she was support act. It was heartbreaking seeing her trying to work the crowd (really weird having her playing as I entered the venue as well. Have support acts always done that? I remember seeing the Manics but I keep forgetting how the other support acts began) and only I was responding given I knew fuck all of her music.
The fact that the reviewer was being diplomatic about Gwenno's remix makes me happier.
Imma let you get back to Lifeblood reissue in a minute. But I've really got to get into Gwenno's music. As get into Gwenno looks even weirder written down.
Old 09-04-2024, 15:29

I already have the Japanese 2x CD with all the B-sides and bonus tracks, so just the vinyl for me!
Old 09-04-2024, 18:40
Desire on its knees

Does anyone know why the vinyl version extends to two records? As far as I'm aware, the album is short enough to fit onto one? It'll be a bit annoying having to turn it over after three songs, then change the vinyl after six.

Didn't stop me buying it though. The bigger artwork alone will be lovely.

Manic Street Preachers

Rock City Oct 1994; Newport May 1996; Knebworth Aug1996; Exeter Oct 1996; Reading April 1997; Cardiff Dec 1999; Manchester Mar 2001; Brixton Mar 2001; Llandudno Aug 2001; Leeds Festival Aug 2001; Birmingham Dec 2002; Cardiff Dec 2002; Brighton Dec 2004; Manchester Dec 2006; Sheffield May 2007; Bristol June 2007; Birmingham Dec 2007; Reading Festival Aug 2008; Royal Festival Hall Sep 2008; Camden Roundhouse May 2009; Sheffield Oct 2010; London O2 Dec 2011; Manchester Sep 2013; Leeds Mar 2014; Manchester Dec 2014;

James Dean Bradfield

Manchester May 2006; Sheffield Oct 2006; Sheffield Graves Art Gallery Oct 2011
Old 09-04-2024, 18:53
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiB View Post
Does anyone know why the vinyl version extends to two records? As far as I'm aware, the album is short enough to fit onto one? It'll be a bit annoying having to turn it over after three songs, then change the vinyl after six.

Standard "double album". On the store page of the vinyl it's got pictures of what it looks like.
If I had a player I'd buy one, but I've got enough stuff around taking up space!
It will look beautiful two albums of.

Forgot to post Clash review where I've even misremembered the Gwenno review. https://www.clashmusic.com/features/...blood-breathe/
Thought this had already been posted. But that was Standard Deluxe.
Old 09-04-2024, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiB View Post

When you don’t squeeze it in on one disc you can achieve higher quality in the sound. It will sound better this way.
Old 09-04-2024, 21:41

Does anyone know what the bonus tracks on the Japanese cd edition are?
Old 09-04-2024, 21:44
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
Does anyone know what the bonus tracks on the Japanese cd edition are?
Antarctica and The Soulmates weren't they?
Old 09-04-2024, 23:48
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
When you don’t squeeze it in on one disc you can achieve higher quality in the sound. It will sound better this way.
For sure.

This one won't be as noticeable as KYE (lol to THAT being on one LP) but side one of Lifeblood at 24 minutes is probably a couple minutes longer than it should be for optimum sound (given the instrumentation). I am pleased the reissue is 2xLP.
Old 09-04-2024, 23:48
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Antarctica and The Soulmates weren't they?
On the original for sure.