Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-08-2024, 17:14
Born to end

While I am reading comments, lots of fans are upset but this is 15th album! What are u waiting? Didn't they do everything on their musical journey? We can not have an another The Holy Bible, Everything Must Go or This is My Truth... They try their best and want to be in their comfort zone maybe. After 30+ years you can not wait big shifts in direction.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:26
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsturkey View Post
While I am reading comments, lots of fans are upset but this is 15th album! What are u waiting? Didn't they do everything on their musical journey? We can not have an another The Holy Bible, Everything Must Go or This is My Truth... They try their best and want to be in their comfort zone maybe. After 30+ years you can not wait big shifts in direction.
It's only a first single - no one is completely dismissing the new album, I think it's fair to say. Just saying it's not exactly exciting or inspiring.

I hope the rest of the stuff's a bit more imaginative. Listen to Futurology, Even In Exile or Intimism - it's possible for them to push themselves.

This could just be the record company's radio-friendly single.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:31
I live to fall asleep

I wonder how much James will play guitar if they do this live? I can picture him standing and fiddling with the microphone stand as he does a lot these days on certain songs haha. It's decent, nothing amazing, but it's them trying something a bit different and hey, I'm happy with any new Manics songs so will enjoy this moment
Old 29-08-2024, 17:32
I am purity, they call me perverted

A little business as usual since 15-20 years, but at the same time maybe the best first single(melodies, hooks etc) from an album during the same period.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:35
Builder of routine

There is a tiny ten second guitar solo hidden in there. Although not there yet. I'm sure I'm going to be Complicated Illusions levels of love for this track at some point in my life of listening to the Manics.
But it doesn't feel a chore! I'm looking forward to the journey ahead with Decline and Fall.
However other songs have had replay replay instead of the pauses between listening.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:36

It’s pleasant enough, but was hoping they would move on from this sound to something a bit more sophisticated, especially after the Lifeblood reissue.

It’s just so daytime TV/Radio 2. This must be the longest run of the same kind of sound on albums?

Totally agree with the comment about sounding like Manics by AI.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:36
I live to fall asleep

It’s shite lads.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:39
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
It's only a first single - no one is completely dismissing the new album, I think it's fair to say. Just saying it's not exactly exciting or inspiring.

I hope the rest of the stuff's a bit more imaginative. Listen to Futurology, Even In Exile or Intimism - it's possible for them to push themselves.

This could just be the record company's radio-friendly single.
Even in Exile, Futurology and Intimism they are all my favorites. But according to me they are trying to stay in comfort zone as a band. I cant know why. For me their existence is enough. I am really listening to Jazz and Fusion for five years. The only and my childhood heroes is The Manics I listen whatever they make)
Old 29-08-2024, 17:39

I mean I like it more than almost everything on TUVL, but three years on and I still can't get into that at all. It's very, very polished, isn't it? The shininess of RiF dialed up a notch.

I like the amount of chorus on the backing guitars, the synths are nice, I'd quite like to hear them go a bit more '80s new wave on the rest of the album. Since TLORN they've generally gone with very safe lead single choices, so there could be some more interesting stuff on the album.

The chorus itself feels very calculatedly catchy, almost an intentionally designed earworm, but it's not a particularly good earworm. I can't disagree with the TV theme comparisons. Something I really dislike is opening with an instrumental version of the chorus, it's the same in 'It's Not War', it's something I often find ends up sounding quite cynical. The only example I can think of where it doesn't bug me is 'You Held the World in Your Arms' by Idlewild, and that itself wasn't the band's idea, but a suggestion by Dave Eringa. But yeah, for some reason that sort of structure always feels like the intro is an advert for the chorus to me. Not sure if that makes any sense at all, but it's just something that always bothers me. The chord change going into the verse is very reminiscent of 'International Blue'.

That's more thoughts than I expected, especially given my overall reaction is just... a shrug, really. It's mostly what I expected it would be, but a couple of the production touches suggest the album could be more interesting. If it picks up where those sounds, and the second half of RiF, left off, maybe it'll be decent.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsturkey View Post
Even in Exile, Futurology and Intimism they are all my favorites. But according to me they are trying to stay in comfort zone as a band. I cant know why. For me their existence is enough. I am really listening to Jazz and Fusion for five years. The only and my childhood heroes is The Manics I listen whatever they make)
It’s only the single so far - people have mentioned the hope they have some variety on the full album.

It’s ok not to like one song. Art is subjective. The Manics are everything for a lot of people, myself included. The love won’t fade just because the lead single isn’t universally loved.
Old 29-08-2024, 17:55
Builder of routine

Wow! Now I'm finally into it. It started off thinking it was going to be ordinary but then if it disappointed. I just really love the changeover on the microphone onwards.
I'm glad a lot more pieces of the tune are sticking into.
It's fine if you aren't there with it yet. It's not the deepest or inspiring of things they've ever done. And all I can find are streams. No way to buy from.
Old 29-08-2024, 18:03
Winterlover

Completely agree with others that the song is a dud version of International Blue - itself hummable but inessential - with a TUVL spit-and-polish job. Horrid drums.

In short, thin soup. Nice and shiny for Radio 2 daytime play though, innit?
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 29-08-2024, 18:09

I like it okay, but it's just too over-produced and shiny for my taste.
Wish it was a bit more raw and rough around the edges.
Old 29-08-2024, 18:18
Desire on its knees

Quite a forgettable track, I'm not too bummed, nice to have the lads back. I'll play it a good bit before seeing if it sticks around. Even if the album isn't something new I hope the rest of the tracks are catchy. RIF didn't break new ground but song for the sadness is wonderful and international blue was a great single. Least get a decent tour out of it!
Nothing is secure but life, transition, the energizing spirit. No love can be bound by oath or covenant to secure it against a higher love. No truth so sublime but it may be trivial tomorrow in the light of new thoughts. People wish to be settled; only as far as they are unsettled is there any hope for them.
Old 29-08-2024, 18:19

I quite like it. Recommend the Atmos mix on Apple Music. I listened once without and again in Atmos binaural via AirPods. Could definitely pickup more of the rhythm guitars. Is this their first forays into surround sound?