Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-09-2010, 22:24
Born to end

+ Ambition
+ James got thin again after this which gave me hope.

- Nicky writing Nicky lyrics rather than Manic lyrics. 'Kleenex kitchen towels and teletext TV', 'sick and PALE', 'What have I said again? I regret everything', 'My bedroom wall recalls what's in my head', 'Wattsville Blues'. I've come to feel this is one of big flaws of the album which instead of songs from an everyman perspective, it's Nicky telling us how bored he is. From Manics songs examining society, we have Manics songs watching Nick remove fluff from his bellybutton (Sorry everyone). It's actually a one-off in this regard until that is Hazelton Avenue which is just a remake of Ritual No1 almost made album-worthy by the beautiful riff and the change of setting.
- Difficult politics in rock and roll songs (Baby Elian) unfortunately didn't work, exposing a flaw in the band that took a while to recover from. Perhaps a misunderstanding in what the band actually was.

+ Ocean Spray, Found That Soul
- Wattsville Blues, Baby Elian

? Epicentre (I still have no idea what this is about)
Old 22-09-2010, 01:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'll reply to this properly if I remember. Out of interest, does anyone else like Miss Europa Disco Dancer? I like it and I really like the lyrics.
Old 22-09-2010, 03:03
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon Poet View Post
I'll reply to this properly if I remember. Out of interest, does anyone else like Miss Europa Disco Dancer? I like it and I really like the lyrics.
I love it, and the "Braindead motherfuckers" refrain is one of my favourite Manics moments. But then, I also quite like Wattsville Blues...
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 22-09-2010, 04:04

+ It's a mish mash of all sorts of ideas so is the most diverse of all their albums
+ It signalled a departure from the somewhat overproduced sound of TIMT

- It's a mish mash of all sorts of ideas so feels somewhat disjointed
- It's too long. Could easily be trimmed to 12 songs

Best songs - Found That Soul, Wattsville Blues (yes, I really do love that song)
Worst Songs - Dead Martyrs (yawn), My Guernica (what a bloody mess that song is)
Old 22-09-2010, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
I love it, and the "Braindead motherfuckers" refrain is one of my favourite Manics moments. But then, I also quite like Wattsville Blues...
I'm also a fan of Miss Europa and Wattssville Blues. I really don't understand why they get so much stick from fans.
Old 22-09-2010, 06:38
Freed from the century

+ The production and sound in general: good rock sound, not too pop, not pseudo-hard, no stadium rock. Probably, KYE has my most favourite manics sound ever.
+ The fact that I have a rather unique item in my collection: official Russian edition of KYE on cassette. I can sell it one day and get super rich

- This album is too long? Nah, it's too short! It should be a double album.
- "The band is wonky with it and refuses to play its brilliant live songs live" (c)

+ His Last Painting, The Convalescent
- Let Robeson Sing, Baby Elián (actually I don't think these are bad tracks, they're just a bit worse than others)
Old 22-09-2010, 07:15
An imitation of dignity

Had forgotten about The Convalescent until I just read these comments - what a great song that is, especially the end with James's 'ba-ba-ba' bit over the guitar refrain. Would be a great set closer even now
Old 22-09-2010, 07:52
A self-made vacuum

+ The little handfull of great songs it has
+ The energy

- Too long
- Generally terrible lyrics

Best: So Why So Sad, Ocean Spray
Worst: Wattsville Blues, Freedom of Speech
Old 22-09-2010, 10:29
An imitation of dignity

+ The adventurous spirit found within. Coming after the single-minded (but awesome) TIMTTMY it's cool to see them putting together an album with so much variety in the sounds they explore.
+ The sneaky manner in which it sounds disjointed, but after a... well... a LOT of listening, it comes together surprisingly well.

- LIKE GT before it, could've knocked off 4/5 lesser tracks and come off much better as an album.
- Lack of true classic tracks. There are good songs scattered across the disc, but overall the best tracks don't stand up too well compared to the best tracks from most of their other albums.

Best: Ocean Spray (didn't think so much of it to begin with, but context makes this a real heartbreaker), The Year of Purification
Worst: Royal Correspondent, Epicentre
Old 22-09-2010, 12:01

+ LOUD. The best songs rock a fair old bit.

+/- This is weird because although I like the fact that it's messy and convoluted I still think they could have chopped 4 or 5 songs off and have a great fuzzy rock record. I like the attitude, but that attitude resulted in some pants songs! I'm not explaining this very well.

- The fact that they felt they had to react with Lifeblood, which is great but lacking in confidence. It was seen as horrific mistake for a while, but they seem to be acknowledging it more now.

Best: The Convalescant, Dead Myrtyrs
Worst: Epicentre, MEDD (sorry)

Bonus +: Awesome B-sides.
Old 22-09-2010, 12:23
Doors slowly closing

+ the excellent screensaver you could download off the internet that the band hates that went with the album
+ the audacious decision to release two singles on the same day from it

- the absolute rubbish, imagination free cover
- they can go to Cuba and do a gig because they wrote Baby Elian, yet they can't come to South Africa and do a gig despite the fact they wrote Kevin Carter?

+ We Are All Borgeouis Now
+ Ocean Spray

- Intravenous Agnostic (just gets on my tits)
- Freedom Of Speech Won't Feed My Children (a good idea gone bad. very bad.)
blog
Old 22-09-2010, 12:25
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

2 Positives - Lots of loudness and energy; a record made by a band who were not afraid to fuck up.
2 Negatives - Too much blandness inbetween; poor lyrics which occasionally lapse into self parody.

2 Favourite Tracks from Know Your Enemy - Dead Martyrs, Let Robeson Sing
2 Worst Tracks from Know Your Enemy - So Why So Sad; Royal Correspondent.
Old 22-09-2010, 12:25
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by leericketts View Post
- Intravenous Agnostic (just gets on my tits)
- Freedom Of Speech Won't Feed My Children (a good idea gone bad. very bad.)
The wire mentioned KYE in a Drowned In Sound interview today and these were his highlights!! Haha!
Old 22-09-2010, 12:30
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
The wire mentioned KYE in a Drowned In Sound interview today and these were his highlights!! Haha!
Intravenous Agnostic - musically brilliant because it's ridiculously OTT; lyrically shite for the same reason.
Old 22-09-2010, 12:40
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
blimey! had no idea - i guess when the inevitable civil war breaks out, i'm in Camp James. i was hoping to stay in the Switzerland haven that is Sean Moore, but never mind.

Intravenous just really, really grates me. it's weird, happens often - a lot of people hold up Accelerator as one of Primal Scream's best, for example. i love the band, but have yet to make it all the way through that track.
blog