Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-05-2009, 17:25
Knowlede Is Power

True, but I don't know why they'd bring this kind of thing out now, even for publicity, because it makes him sound like a twat.
Old 17-05-2009, 17:26
Builder of routine

Yeah, don't get what's the big deal either. Hardly intriguing enough to earn the title.
Old 17-05-2009, 18:02
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus View Post
True, but I don't know why they'd bring this kind of thing out now, even for publicity, because it makes him sound like a twat.
I think it's been dug out by the paper because Richey is a current story again and they have an exclusive. We all hit their website meaning their stats go up and they can charge more for advertising.

The problem is that it is being presented completely out of context. Richey wasn't a hero or a saint, but he was an incredibly cool rock star - possibly the coolest ever!
Old 17-05-2009, 18:03
Knowlede Is Power

We've heard all these opinions before, possibly in the Price book.
Old 17-05-2009, 18:05
Builder of routine

The funniest thing about these claims, is that I never saw anyone presenting Richey as 'hero or saint'. It's all in over-defensive fans' minds!
Old 17-05-2009, 18:06
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristarman View Post
This. I didn't hear anything new.
Old 17-05-2009, 19:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Back when Richey was around though, probably a lot of fans would have agreed...now though, most of them have grown up, stopped taking themselves so seriously etc, so seeing this interview from WAY back then, he comes across a bit...well...y'know...
Agreed! Though, I'm not too sure I even agreed with him at the time...his sentiments were always addressed in an articulate way, but the meaning behind them felt like those ideas were the work of a child not a man in his twenties. Gifted man, but very childish in some of his views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro8 View Post
It's difficult to know what he felt. Maybe to himself he saw themselves as romantic figures, yet when it came down to it he fell victim to the temptation groupies offered even if he felt he knew better. The way he coped with it was by being blaze and realistic that it happens all the time. He convinced himself it happened all the time so it was okay, wanting to believe that the real fans discussed lyrics and the groupies were just there for sex. In the same way as people view masturbation, often people don't like it at all and view it a meaningless, but end up doing it anyway. They feel guilty and so are blaze and joke about it. Richey finds the need to joke about the groupies being meaningless for both because he doesn't want to feel either guilty or happy in doing it.

In some interview when asked about whether he had considered if the Bangkok prostitutes might have been underage, it was apparent he hadn't. He clearly didn't like discussing that kind of thing, but at the same time did so to be controversial and self pitying. He had an incredible knack for turning himself into the victim when he wasn't. I found that interview quite dark really. Bless him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro8 View Post
His version of romance was certainly very different to the generally held perception. He clearly wasn't romantic in the love sense, he just liked dark romantic imagery, words and symbolism. I think he meant that he didn't feel like 'a lucky b_____' because he wanted a meaningful relationship, and the groupies were meaningless to him, yet continued in a sordid way anyway. He was neither suitably moral to resist it or suitably unromantic to feel great about what was happening.
Yes, I agree with you here though I might also add that he probably saw it as his "duty” to play up the rockstar thing and as such, sleeping with hoards of groupies was part of maintaining that image. I’m of the opinion that in addition to the high he probably got from excessive female attention (or attention period), he probably also saw it as his “job” in the band to perpetuate some kind of rock-god myth. That’s the impression I always got at least.

Quote:
This type of shit from Richey doesn't, and didn't help though, it's nonsense and from such an intelligent person it really does sound like soemone desperate for attention. Richey, because of what happened, gets put on a pedestal of sorts at times when in actual fact he was just a man, a man who had faults like every other.
I’m sorry, have I missed something? Nothing stated in this particular interview is any different from other interviews given at the time. Why make it seem like this one in particular stands out as a testament to what an idiot Richey was?
No, he wasn’t a saint in any sense of the word and those that consider him as such are seriously deluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker88 View Post
This interview just proves why Nicky is so much cooler than Richey
Really? I guess publicly wishing that Michael Stipe would die of Aids is the reason why he’s so much cooler than Richey, eh? Nope, Nicky was never a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristarman View Post
Absolutely! Nothing new here in terms of “unlocking” the mind of Richey Edwards.
Still, it’s always nice to hear/read recently found material that hasn’t been available to the public in some time.
Old 17-05-2009, 21:02
Born to end

Thought I'd post this for people who can't get the paper!

Lost Richey tape - newspaper front page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36457686@N05/3540301806/
Old 17-05-2009, 21:27

With regard to RE, people, always remember: "I've been too honest with myself; I should have lied like everybody else"

Of course, there's always mischief too

I / We was / will be everything forever.

Last edited by chinaboatman; 17-05-2009 at 21:31.
Old 17-05-2009, 21:30

Quote:
Some nasty stories knocking about on that subject though wasn't there?

I was always into the Manics for their music first, and image last. I've always adored James' songwriting.

This type of shit from Richey doesn't, and didn't help though, it's nonsense and from such an intelligent person it really does sound like soemone desperate for attention. Richey, because of what happened, gets put on a pedestal of sorts at times when in actual fact he was just a man, a man who had faults like every other.

It's his examination of and enunciation upon his faults that make his lyrics what they are. Perfect men claiming to be perfect are liars. Artists are often bastards. There's no excuses for anyone but if you want the yield you ahve to sow the crop.

I / We was / will be everything forever.
Old 17-05-2009, 21:51
Builder of routine

Or was he too scared to get married because he thought of killing himself?
Old 17-05-2009, 22:00
Builder of routine

He had a rumoured girlfriend (I know Jo was a real person, the question is if they were close.)
Old 17-05-2009, 22:05
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
Or was he too scared to get married because he thought of killing himself?
Huh?
Old 17-05-2009, 22:08
Stretched out in the sun

Sheds a lot of light on the man as just a man. Childish opinions in places, clear examples of an emotional immaturity. But if these attributes were not part of the make-up of Richey Edwards, he might not have written the way he did. Swings and roundabouts, people. But I'm glad there is something of a record of his opinions, if only to make some of the more blinded fans see that he really was just a man. Not an icon or a legend. Just a man. It has a similar affect on me as the film 'About A Son', where we hear Kurt Cobain's opinions from his own voice. You not only feel you're getting to know something more about them as a person, but it brings that realisation back of them being just as human as you or I.

And I prefer that to godlike worship.

In the highly unlikely event that my own music ever became succesfull, I can't imagine anything worse than people talking about me in some kind of idealised way after I snuff it. Sure, the things that musicians write in their lyrics often contain personal elements, but to try and turn it into something almost Biblical in meaning is missing the point entirely of why people make music/poetry at all.
Old 17-05-2009, 22:11
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Huh?
If we start theorizing... It makes less sense to me he'd have not killed himself for the thought of settling down with a wife. Not really one to hold down a relationship! I'm not saying he didn't want to, it just not quite happened while he was in the band.