Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-08-2012, 09:48
Bored out of my mind

But then they wouldn't be my quirky Manics!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23
Builder of routine

Fair play to them for sticking to their guns. Though it does sometimes seem like the band want to fail. They're just coming out of "One last shot at mass communication" afterall. But if the band are against something and they choose not to participate, well done to them. Especially given the cash windfall they would have recieved. I'm glad they're not in it for the money.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicben View Post
Fair play to them for sticking to their guns. Though it does sometimes seem like the band want to fail. They're just coming out of "One last shot at mass communication" afterall. But if the band are against something and they choose not to participate, well done to them. Especially given the cash windfall they would have recieved. I'm glad they're not in it for the money.
except for tweeting about how many sales they've blow, no i suppose they are not in it for the money!

if i recall the specifics of how the ceremony went, they could have turned up, knocked out a belting Design For Life and fucked off before any Royals even pitched. oh well, next time.
blog
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Good point. They would have been called hypocrites or whatever in some quarters if they had decided to take part anyway. No pleasing people!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 02-08-2012, 10:33
Builder of routine

I think some people just enjoy hating and moaning far too much.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:25
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I think some people just enjoy hating and moaning far too much.
it's part and parcel of being a Manics fan

on a serious note, it would be phenomenal if one day there was some sort of opening ceremony or event that would give the band the exposure their music deserves (whether they want to sell records or not, they have them out for sale after all) and that they would feel comfortable doing. a natural i suppose would be a Rugby World Cup, but then again as Royals attend.....
blog
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26
Doors slowly closing

In theory the closing ceremony is going to be far removed from the class of the opening one. They'd have got to play one song sandwiched in-between turgid shite like One Direction and Kaiser Chiefs. Hardly a catalyst for a Queen at Live Aid resurrection but it's apt that Nicky should lament the lost bonus sales because that's all any of those acts will be turning up for. Macca's half-assed Hey Jude was undeniably the lowlight of Friday night.

What isn't good enough for Noel Gallagher or the Sex Pistols isn't good enough for the Manics. Although in fairness to Noel, he was also dignified enough to turn down Strictly...

Obviously with the benefit of hindsight, London 2012 has gone far better than anyone could have predicted (empty sets excepted). You don't really see any advertising at all in the arenas or on the TV coverage and Danny Boyle pulled the rabbit out of the hat in a way nobody could have seen coming. So I suppose there's a chance that the closing ceremony won't be as crass as it looks on paper, but they weren't to know that when they turned it down - and they'd still have had to play in front of the royal family, seeing as that bothers them so much.

As for that concert at Hyde Park where the Stereophonics represented Wales, I haven't stumbled across a single report or image of it (having not actively seeked one out).

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 02-08-2012 at 11:30.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
it's part and parcel of being a Manics fan
I don't understand it. Sure be critical, but people only seem to hang around to be negative these days.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56
I live to fall asleep

You know part of me thinks this band rediscovery of the genius of Revol is due to the reception it got at the O2... A further example of Manics not knowing what their best songs are.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:00
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
I don't understand it. Sure be critical, but people only seem to hang around to be negative these days.
a matter of point of view, really. a fair few of us liked some/most of PFAYM and thus we said so, but you have to respect that some people didn't like it at all and they are welcome to say so.

as for Nicky and his twitter account, well, it's sensational when he's talking about gigs, songs, the GT special edition and so on, but as i have said before he's worryingly going rather a bit Jeremy Clarksonish when he says other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
What isn't good enough for Noel Gallagher or the Sex Pistols isn't good enough for the Manics. Although in fairness to Noel, he was also dignified enough to turn down Strictly...
there was no way the Sex Pistols would do it, Royal Family free even, whilst John is busy with PiL. as for Noel, well, i am amazed he turned it down, since he seemingly wants to be part of the Establishment these days, getting worshipped Sting / Bono / Phil Collins wise off Q and so on. my best guess for him turning it down is either another gig or he simply wasn't offered it.
blog
Old 02-08-2012, 12:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Good point. They would have been called hypocrites or whatever in some quarters if they had decided to take part anyway. No pleasing people!
I don't see why. Nicky LOVES sport. The olympics is hardly a royal event or anything.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:24
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
I don't see why. Nicky LOVES sport. The olympics is hardly a royal event or anything.
Yeah, but you know what people are like. It's 'commercial MAAAAAAAAAN!!!' and all that. And the royals are usually lurking somewhere!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:25
Doors slowly closing

I'm glad they're not doing it. Although I wouldn't have cared particularly or thought worse of them if they had.

After doing SKON on Strictly the only way is up really.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Yeah, but you know what people are like. It's 'commercial MAAAAAAAAAN!!!' and all that. And the royals are usually lurking somewhere!
It's commerical? Since when have they not been into that. GT, GATS, EMG, TIMT, SATT, PFAYM are all about them trying to be commerical.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
I'm glad they're not doing it. Although I wouldn't have cared particularly or thought worse of them if they had.

After doing SKON on Strictly the only way is up really.
SKON on Strictly!