Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-05-2012, 20:53
Bored out of my mind

Fear Of Motion!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 31-05-2012, 21:26
Winterlover

Fear Of Motion is amazing.
Old 31-05-2012, 23:25
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
SATT is not awful.
No it is not.

I actually think it's a great album... wonderful melodic tunes. It's the Manics doing what they've always been best at... I think.
I'm pretty much alone on that one it seems
Old 31-05-2012, 23:26
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Fear Of Motion!

such a wonderful song.
Old 01-06-2012, 00:08
Administrator

We are somewhat off topic if its about new news
Old 01-06-2012, 11:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Nixon - nothing original? Yeah, there's been loads of pop/rock songs about Richard Nixon!
Not about Richard Nixon but they have done similar songs themselves b4 but Nixon is not near as interesting lyrically or musically as Kevin Carter.

Don't get me wrong I think Nixon is a good song but not original as they have written songs about Kevin Carter and Paul Robeson..both of which I consider wonderfully original and different..
Old 01-06-2012, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmanine View Post

such a wonderful song.
I am a big fear of motion fan also
Old 01-06-2012, 12:31
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafir_Lover View Post
Not about Richard Nixon but they have done similar songs themselves b4 but Nixon is not near as interesting lyrically or musically as Kevin Carter.

Don't get me wrong I think Nixon is a good song but not original as they have written songs about Kevin Carter and Paul Robeson..both of which I consider wonderfully original and different..
I don't think they've done a similar song to it before, whether you rate the lyrics/whatever or not.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 01-06-2012, 20:14
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
We are somewhat off topic if its about new news
No news is good news.
Old 01-06-2012, 22:40
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafir_Lover View Post

http://youtu.be/MJRF8xGzvj4

tlorn = tina
Old 02-06-2012, 07:42
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Fear Of Motion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
Fear Of Motion is amazing.
Someone mind linking me to somewhere where I can listen to/download this?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56

Goodness, I was unaware of the level of pure vitrol shown by some posters to their dislike of “Send Away The Tigers” and “Postcards From A Young Man”. Perhaps some would like to start up their own bands?

While admitting that those two albums don’t sit alongside the band’s best work, they don’t deserve to receive the kicking that they have. For the band’s new album and possible sound. Well, with the album most likely being their last studio album I do like the idea of letting them be able to record what they want. Wherever that might take them. I would like for them to record something in the same vein as “Know Your Enemy”. It’s probably the Manics album I reach for the most. The problem that that album poses is that nobody has ever really sat down and assessed it properly. Even the band. No one really knows where to put it in the Manics lifespan. Is it an extension of “This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours”? An album where the band went into the studio and just wrote and recorded what they wanted to? The final moments of “The Convalescent” with James’ ah ahs screaming out are some of my favourite Manics moments. If the band do go into the studio and record with the freedom of doing what they want to do then it’ll be a good album. “Journal For Plague Lovers” proved that the band can still find that heavy dark sound. I’ll be realistic and say that I don’t think that the entire album will sound like that. I also think we might hear a more subdued James singing.

What I do want to see is a return to some damn good lyrics. I know Nicky is a sentimental fellow and of late he seems to be only looking behind him. I’m glad that he had an ideal childhood growing up. Family holidays and the like. I like that, I do, but I don’t want to hear too much more. The past is a foreign land. I want the return of spite, hate, loathing. The feeling of alienation. Boredom. I want the lyrics to grab me. To be meaningful. Not songs about the good old days.

I was listening to “Lifeblood” before. A very mis-understood album and lyrically it is good. Very good. I’d go even as far to say that it is better than “Postcards From A Young Man”. To have a band write about Emily Pankhurst is what makes the Manics different. What sets them apart from all the other bland bands. That’s what I want. A return to the intelligence.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
Perhaps some would like to start up their own bands?
I'm sure a lot of people could to some extent should they want to, but I'm a bit lost as to how something completely unrelated and random like that would have any effect on their opinions over certain albums.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
Goodness, I was unaware of the level of pure vitrol shown by some posters to their dislike of “Send Away The Tigers” and “Postcards From A Young Man”. Perhaps some would like to start up their own bands?

While admitting that those two albums don’t sit alongside the band’s best work, they don’t deserve to receive the kicking that they have. For the band’s new album and possible sound. Well, with the album most likely being their last studio album I do like the idea of letting them be able to record what they want. Wherever that might take them. I would like for them to record something in the same vein as “Know Your Enemy”. It’s probably the Manics album I reach for the most. The problem that that album poses is that nobody has ever really sat down and assessed it properly. Even the band. No one really knows where to put it in the Manics lifespan. Is it an extension of “This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours”? An album where the band went into the studio and just wrote and recorded what they wanted to? The final moments of “The Convalescent” with James’ ah ahs screaming out are some of my favourite Manics moments. If the band do go into the studio and record with the freedom of doing what they want to do then it’ll be a good album. “Journal For Plague Lovers” proved that the band can still find that heavy dark sound. I’ll be realistic and say that I don’t think that the entire album will sound like that. I also think we might hear a more subdued James singing.

What I do want to see is a return to some damn good lyrics. I know Nicky is a sentimental fellow and of late he seems to be only looking behind him. I’m glad that he had an ideal childhood growing up. Family holidays and the like. I like that, I do, but I don’t want to hear too much more. The past is a foreign land. I want the return of spite, hate, loathing. The feeling of alienation. Boredom. I want the lyrics to grab me. To be meaningful. Not songs about the good old days.

I was listening to “Lifeblood” before. A very mis-understood album and lyrically it is good. Very good. I’d go even as far to say that it is better than “Postcards From A Young Man”. To have a band write about Emily Pankhurst is what makes the Manics different. What sets them apart from all the other bland bands. That’s what I want. A return to the intelligence.
I believe the band have resigned a new contract but I can only speculate that it will be for at least 3 albums. If the band come back with a LB/KYE/EMG hybrid I'll be happy. Personally, all I really want is for some time and care taken with song structures. The last few releases have simply been:

Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - repeat of first verse - Chrorus - Chorus.

It's a bit stale.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37
I live to fall asleep

Verse - Chorus - Verse - Chorus - Guitar solo - Chorus