Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 16-05-2012, 10:56
I am purity, they call me perverted

There are indeed some here, though I do reserve the right to criticise when they bring forth something I don't consider to be up to their extremely high standards. Just because I occasionally moan about the odd song (you know which one GW!!), doesn't mean I'm no fan of theirs, hell I've been worshipping at the altar of JDB's mighty guitar since 1993, and like all long-term relationships, it has its ups and downs, but the love never diminishes.
Old 16-05-2012, 11:19
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Having been here nearly five years now, I'm not!
Yeah exactly, this is hardly something new. You have to be a fan to be invested enough to be genuinely disappointed by something a band does. You see a lot less of this kind of reaction in threads about THB or JFPL, for instance... you can be a fan of a band without loving every single track they put out, or even every album.
Old 16-05-2012, 11:20
Doors slowly closing

It's a track 6,7 or 8. A not so great album track, but not awful either. It's not a track 1 or a lead single. There's no lead single on that album. They should have taken more time to write a lead single before releasing it.
Old 16-05-2012, 11:53
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Selfdestruct View Post
It's a track 6,7 or 8. A not so great album track, but not awful either. It's not a track 1 or a lead single. There's no lead single on that album. They should have taken more time to write a lead single before releasing it.
i disagree - history would have been different if they had pushed the actual Postcards From A Young Man as the 1st single. releasing it as the 3rd, after a massive drive to get more people to just buy the album, means that this ace tune and great single did rather badly.

they should have also taken some time to do things like "make it possible to buy the fucking single" instead of the warped "exclusive to Townsend Records" thing, something that wasn't even listed or linked on the Townsend home page. making it very difficult to see the video on youtube outside of the UK was also something less than a masterstroke, and the mind boggles as to why they chose to promote the single 6 (six) weeks prior to release and then did fuck all else in the way of promotion, least of all in the week it came out.
blog
Old 16-05-2012, 12:06
Doors slowly closing

The only good thing i can say about Postcards(the song) is that it provided the time i needed to go to the gents and bar when they played it live. It's the most flat, laboured sounding single they've ever written. I can see them in the studio saying to each other, ''Just through a fuck load of strings at it and see what happens''.
Old 16-05-2012, 12:19
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
The only good thing i can say about Postcards(the song) is that it provided the time i needed to go to the gents and bar when they played it live. It's the most flat, laboured sounding single they've ever written. I can see them in the studio saying to each other, ''Just through a fuck load of strings at it and see what happens''.
Disagree. Natch!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-05-2012, 12:37
I live to fall asleep

Postcards is easily the best song on the album. It's a bit shit live sadly*. Although, if James didn't try to sound so 'sweet' and instead growled the words it would be a lot better. Piano should be much louder too. Should have been the lead single as the last third of the songs is fantastic.

As for It's Not War - It's a bit meh. A few nice lyrics but the strings don't work well at all. Kinda flat compared to other singles.

* Not as shit as SKON though.
Old 16-05-2012, 12:44
Bored out of my mind

SKON is fandabulous!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 16-05-2012, 12:46
I live to fall asleep

I really like it on the album! But it's kinda boring live.

Sorry
Old 16-05-2012, 12:49
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post
I really like it on the album! But it's kinda boring live.

Sorry
No worries! I'm not gonna come round with one of Sean's shotguns or anything!
Old 16-05-2012, 13:02
I live to fall asleep

I want to believe that
Old 16-05-2012, 13:05
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
I'd have to disagree, it's the only song on the album I like at all.
Old 16-05-2012, 13:12
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoney MoJunk View Post
I want to believe that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
I'd have to disagree, it's the only song on the album I like at all.
Proof there is no such thing as your average Manics fan!
Old 16-05-2012, 13:16
Doors slowly closing

The thing is i don't actually hate the song, it just sums up everything that was wrong about the backwards direction they went in after Journals. SKON isn't great either, but it doesn't sound as forced as Postcards.
Old 16-05-2012, 13:33
I am purity, they call me perverted

SKON....
Well, what can I say? Considering I have a long-term THB habit, you may be surprised. Love it.
It's almost as "un-manic" as Autumnsong, but unlike the Hair song, I love it.
Lyrics are really moving, although I prefer JDB's vocal to old Ian's (obviously, MSP are way better than the Bunnymen). Despite the fact it does feel lyrically like Wire's 73rd "Ode to You-know-who", it's great.
Maybe I'm biased, opinion twisted by my two year old daughter, who adores it and sings along with the choral bits, but I love it.