Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old Today, 12:22
I am purity, they call me perverted

I imagine the band will deal with it the way they have for the past 15 years, by talking about the new record and politely ignoring and deflecting any stupid questions about Richey that get dropped into an interview.
Old Today, 12:24
A self-made vacuum

I mean c'mon, it's 2024, the 80s nostalgia thing is a dead fad. The 90s and 00s seem to be all the rage now baby! And this only proves that the Manics have lost their touch with the zeitgeist they had back in their early days when they sounded like whatever was fashionable. Now they just sound unfashionable.
Old Today, 12:51
Born to end

Sadly MSP have fallen into the curse of the once cult, now popular touring band: release middling albums with low effort, the fans will buy it regardless of quality and laud it because they feel they have to.

They'll always sell out tours and concerts at middle class music festivals and we'll moan they played You Stole The Sun From My Heart. Again. And no Sleepflower. Again. And, oh look! Its The Anchoress! Again.

I'll remain optimistic but Decline and Fall is almost AI-generated Manics. It just lacks excitement. When was the last time they did something genuinely exciting or interesting? Plague Lovers? James' last solo album? Not even Sean's mid-life crisis is inspiring anything exciting.
Old Today, 13:27
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
He was part of the band and it's not a big deal.
I shouldn't keep replying but I'm not enjoying trudging through Kafka's The Trial. Richey was not just a band member but a close friend who in one form or another ended their life. Not only do James, Nicky & Sean have to contend with losing a friend, they have also have to endure asking themselves what could've done differently that might have saved Richey from his demise. Every memory becomes an interrogation, a mirror telling you that you failed to prevent the obvious, when in reality people have control over the path they are walking down and ultimately responsible for themselves. Perhaps I'm talking more about myself here and using this in vain as therapy, but I'm not convinced this is miles away from how others might process these tragedies.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old Today, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbojumbo View Post
When was the last time they did something genuinely exciting or interesting? Plague Lovers? James' last solo album? Not even Sean's mid-life crisis is inspiring anything exciting.
Bandwise, I think RTF and Futurology were the last sparks of doing something interesting but lets be honest, the writing has been on the wall about the rot since Nicky's acoustic demo of 'it's not war' was butchered and overproduced until it turned into a Steps flavoured rip off of Everybody Dance.
Old Today, 14:29
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
a Steps flavoured rip off of Everybody Dance.
Perfect description!
Old Today, 15:17
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbojumbo View Post
Perfect description!
When the strings kick in, it always sounds like it's going to be a Carpetright closing down sale advert jingle to me.
Old Today, 16:37
Mr Msppedia

*cough* you may wish to book your flights to New Zealand..........
Old Today, 17:19

I wish I’d stayed home. I’m quite worried for this album now 😩
Old Today, 17:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
*cough* you may wish to book your flights to New Zealand..........
Thanks, was in the middle of listening to the new Queen boxset on Spotify so this was a nice surprise.

Absolutely no sign of JDB's vocals on this new song.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old Today, 17:53

26 seconds of possibility and hope followed by 188 seconds of overproduced mush with a string rendition of the start of PCPs lead break. I actually thought it might be something good and now I'm just sad, sad in the same way as seeing a dangerous and catastrophically unhealthy obese person that you used to know in your youth and knowing that they have decent bone structure underneath it all but just prefer junk food to eating healthy.

Last edited by savemejebus; Today at 18:15.
Old Today, 18:10
Stretched out in the sun

I wasn’t intending to post anything about it but after hearing the new single…I’m just so fucking disappointed in them. I have loved this band with all my heart for 26 years and to hear them reduced to this kind of easy listening MOR low effort garbage is heartbreaking. I thought the PFAYM era was the nadir but, no, apparently not.

Remember when the Manics were incendiary, intelligent, articulate, intensely emotional and, most importantly, essential listening? These singles reek of a band just churning out something new as part of the album/tour/album cycle, not as a creatively unique and fascinating artistic expression. There is nothing essential about them. Nothing vital.

JFPL is where they should’ve called it a day. The last great album they ever made and definitely the last time that they still felt like the Manic Street Preachers.
Old Today, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richey View Post
I wasn’t intending to post anything about it but after hearing the new single…I’m just so fucking disappointed in them. I have loved this band with all my heart for 26 years and to hear them reduced to this kind of easy listening MOR low effort garbage is heartbreaking. I thought the PFAYM era was the nadir but, no, apparently not.

Remember when the Manics were incendiary, intelligent, articulate, intensely emotional and, most importantly, essential listening? These singles reek of a band just churning out something new as part of the album/tour/album cycle, not as a creatively unique and fascinating artistic expression. There is nothing essential about them. Nothing vital.

JFPL is where they should’ve called it a day. The last great album they ever made and definitely the last time that they still felt like the Manic Street Preachers.
I agree with most of this. The part about calling it a day after JFPL is debatable. I love futurology and The Ultra Vivid Lament so I’m happy they didn’t pack it in there.
Old Today, 18:22
Under neon loneliness

I liked half of Futurology and loved TUVL, but even they can't justify album after album of tossed off dross from what was once a relevant, potent and sincere artistic endeavour.

If anything it's more painful to watch them return to peddling the whimper, after the bang. Our generation's The Clash spent 15 years writing music for care homes.
Old Today, 18:28
Bored of being bored

Intrigued and feel I need to hear it

Where can I find it?