Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 05:25
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisvanity View Post
Agreed. I prefer The Manics 'Red Sleeping Beauty' too. They should do an album of McCarthy covers!
I prefer the Manics' version of Charles Windsor. Speaking of McCarthy....
Old 07-07-2013, 20:03
Bored of being bored

sounds great on vinyl, by the way.
just saying.
Old 16-07-2013, 14:54
Desire on its knees

THB EMG and KYE are my favourites... Never understood why KYE seems to get singled out as not that great (better than anything else post emg). I even liked wattsville blues! What's the problem
Old 16-07-2013, 18:21
Knowlede Is Power

It's now 2 weeks since I'm re-discovering KYE, what a true gem it is! Just can't stop listening, even the tunes I didn't like that much back then (The Convalescent, My Guernica, Dead Martyrs) are fine now. It's not even that long anymore.

Listening tip: Keep KYE in shuffle loop with the White Album, it will bring out even more awesomeness.

Old 16-07-2013, 18:27
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquerel View Post
It's now 2 weeks since I'm re-discovering KYE, what a true gem it is! Just can't stop listening, even the tunes I didn't like that much back then (The Convalescent, My Guernica, Dead Martyrs) are fine now. It's not even that long anymore.

Listening tip: Keep KYE in shuffle loop with the White Album, it will bring out even more awesomeness.
The tracks you listed are among my favourites on the album. It'll always be a disjointed listen but the second half is pretty strong.
Old 16-07-2013, 18:42
An imitation of dignity

Have always loved this album - 'We Are All Bourgeois Now' is not on the mini-disc version and I imagine not on the vinyl version either - mine is still sealed!
Old 16-07-2013, 20:11
Desire on its knees

i think one of the main things with this album is that many of the problems that can plague Manics albums across their entirety - occasional poor quality control that results in those "what were they thinking" moments, one or two clunky lyrics, a lack of consistency resulting in a sometime schizophrenic listen - on KYE, many of these occur over the course of just one song rather than the whole album.

Dead Martyrs, My Guernica, The Convalescent - probably my favourites on the album too, but very hard to love: some very crowbarred lyrics and references that stick out like a sore thumb: the "pieces of dust" and Alfred J. Prufrock lines clash with the amazing "keep it together" bridge on My Guernica... the nods to Payne Stewart, Jack Kevorkian and Marilyn Manson in The Convalescent just don't gel, the Srebrenica / Treblinka line is pure try-hard Richey that falls flat on its face - but then you get that falsetto outro and all can be forgiven...
Old 16-07-2013, 20:17
Desire on its knees

...the verses to Dead Martyrs always seemed like placeholder lyrics they forgot to rewrite, but that chorus is pure stadium...
Old 17-07-2013, 08:43
I am purity, they call me perverted

KYE , brilliant, love it. Worked in the Middle East when the band were at their biggest and before, missed out on alot of tours and album releases....

Have only really listened and taken notice since JFPL's, always had Everything Must Go ,since JFPL's release l've seen the band 10 times, including King Tuts, Roundhouse, o2, Brixton, Aberdeen, not bad for someone who lives in Norway.

Have always had KYE, not really listened since this thread. lt's a cracking album, keep Wattsville and Miss Europa, love the rest, lpod loaded for 2.5 weeks in Crete.

Manic's can you hear me????? Get rid of some of that tired old setlist and revisit KYE, you really have some old masterpieces tucked away.

Last edited by MikeS; 17-07-2013 at 08:54.
Old 17-07-2013, 09:40
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonic View Post
THB EMG and KYE are my favourites... Never understood why KYE seems to get singled out as not that great (better than anything else post emg). I even liked wattsville blues! What's the problem
KYE is not a good album. I could spend the whole day writing down the list of of what is wrong there. Basically Manics lost their self.control and the album is not spontaneous. The production is bad, songs are overproduced and they're missing energy (Ocean Spray!!!!), there are many week songs (Let Robeson Sing, Year of Purification, Epicentre, His Last Painting, Baby Elian (much better acoustic)), some great songs were ommited (Just a Kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Locust Valley...) and most of the lyrics are very bad (I think KEY has the worst lyrics by Manics ever) - Let Robeson Sing, Baby Elian (!!!!, such a great song musically), The Convalencest, His Last Painting...

The album cover is bad, double-single-release was bad, the video-clips are horrible.

Old 17-07-2013, 11:25
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
KYE is not a good album. I could spend the whole day writing down the list of of what is wrong there. Basically Manics lost their self.control and the album is not spontaneous. The production is bad, songs are overproduced and they're missing energy (Ocean Spray!!!!), there are many week songs (Let Robeson Sing, Year of Purification, Epicentre, His Last Painting, Baby Elian (much better acoustic)), some great songs were ommited (Just a Kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Locust Valley...) and most of the lyrics are very bad (I think KEY has the worst lyrics by Manics ever) - Let Robeson Sing, Baby Elian (!!!!, such a great song musically), The Convalencest, His Last Painting...

The album cover is bad, double-single-release was bad, the video-clips are horrible.

Couldn't disagree more with every single point in that post.
Old 17-07-2013, 11:56
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
there are many week songs (Let Robeson Sing, Year of Purification, Epicentre, His Last Painting, Baby Elian (much better acoustic)
All the shite songs on that record (SWSS, Wattsville Blues, MEDD, Royal Correspondent) and you pick YOP, HLP and (shockingly) Epicentre?!

I thought you were cool, man!
Old 17-07-2013, 12:11
Knowlede Is Power

I hate Year of Putrification, its so bland!

But I think that the lyrics to Baby Elian are Wire's most focused effort
Old 17-07-2013, 12:49
Bored out of my mind

I love Year Of Purification! And Epicentre!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 17-07-2013, 13:04
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I love Year Of Purification! And Epicentre!
"run away, run awaaaaaay as fast as you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, from anything, any discipline"