Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-11-2011, 17:22
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Bradfield View Post
Ah cool!

I told Nicky I was looking forward to the o2 gig, and asked if it was going to be filmed, basically Nicky said no. He said it would be too expensive and even tho I said loads of people would buy it, he was just like 'oh it'll be such a good night that you'll remember it anyway,' I think I thumped the table at that point and said, 'Look, it won't be the same!' haha. anyway so looks like no dvd which is rubbish.
Let's just ponder that phrase for a moment.

"it would be too expensive"

What, like a £100+ PFAYM box set? A £500 photo book? A £165 single box set? A £15 Q magazine and vinyl?

And what utter nonsense anyway. It's not like their past video releases have been like Fellini films or something is it? They could just give a competent fan a £500 camcorder, add the soundboard audio and post it on their website, or even just sell it via iTunes. "Too expensive" indeed, what a joke.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
| I know our time has come and gone / At least we blazed a trail and shone |
Old 18-11-2011, 17:23
Freed from the century

Had fun today, Nicky was lovely as usual and got the books signed for 2 others so success!
Old 18-11-2011, 17:47
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post

What, like a £100+ PFAYM box set? A £500 photo book? A £165 single box set? A £15 Q magazine and vinyl?

And what utter nonsense anyway. It's not like their past video releases have been like Fellini films or something is it? They could just give a competent fan a £500 camcorder, add the soundboard audio and post it on their website, or even just sell it via iTunes. "Too expensive" indeed, what a joke.

Trust me, all of the above went through my mind amd i was on the verge of saying the above to him, however i managed to keep quiet. It is ridiculous to be fair, but then all the manics merch farce Has been such a let down, it doesnt suprise me.
Old 18-11-2011, 17:55
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post

"Too expensive" indeed, what a joke.
To expensive for the band to film, whereas boxes full of CDs are probably cheap to print... and cream off the profit?

Cynical but true. Possibly.....

Probably.
Old 18-11-2011, 18:39
A self-made vacuum

I also think that he actually meant it would be too expensive as in cost to the band to arrange and organise, but the sentiments the same, i mean he's sold a few of his £300 deluxe edition and the boxset sold out so it's not like the band is brassic!!
Old 18-11-2011, 18:39
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOnMyBack View Post
Went to Cardiff today for the signing. Arrived at Waterstones about 10am bought the books (one for myself and one for Refresher). As there was nobody in the queue went for a coffee and a walkabout for an hour. Headed back to the shop about 11am, still no queue so looked around the rest of the bookshop for 1/2 hour then noticed the queue had started to form. Well there was one girl (and her friend who was waiting with her but not getting a book signed). So I decided to join it and double the size to 2.

Numbers were looking pretty low until about noon when quite a few more people joined and they started to queue outside.

Nicky arrived on time at 12:30. Spoke to him for a minute or so whilst he signed the two books and then headed home at about 12:35. At which point the queue numbered about 50 people. So still pretty quiet at that point.

Anyhow, books signed, quick chat with Nicky, mission accomplished.

Refresher your book is ready for collection when you want to pick it up.

Oh and I took one quick snap of Nicky during the signing before I left:
Thanks Pete
2001 Brixton, C.I.A.
2002 Millennium Stadium, St. David's Hall, Wembley, C.I.A. x 2
2003 Move Festival
2004 Wembley
2005 C.I.A., Millennium Stadium, Bristol, Swansea
2006 JDB Solus
2007 Cardiff Uni x 2, Bristol, Reading, C.I.A., Bournemouth, Brighton
2008 NME Awards, NME Big Gig, Newport
2009 Roundhouse x 2 , Wolves, Brighton
2010 Millennium Stadium, Newport, Bristol ,Leicester
2011 Brixton, Blackwood, Wolves, C.I.A., JDB Solus, O2 Arena
2012 The Hague, Amsterdam
2013 Newport, Festival No.6, Bristol
2014 Cardiff Motorpoint, Leicester, Wolves, The Roundhouse x 3
2015 JDB at W.M.C, Washington, New York, Boston. Wolves & Cardiff Castle
2016 Brussels, RAH x 2, Swansea, Cardiff, Eden Project
Old 18-11-2011, 18:57
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Trust me, all of the above went through my mind amd i was on the verge of saying the above to him, however i managed to keep quiet. It is ridiculous to be fair, but then all the manics merch farce Has been such a let down, it doesnt suprise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterlanguage View Post
To expensive for the band to film, whereas boxes full of CDs are probably cheap to print... and cream off the profit?

Cynical but true. Possibly.....

Probably.
Quote:
I also think that he actually meant it would be too expensive as in cost to the band to arrange and organise, but the sentiments the same, i mean he's sold a few of his £300 deluxe edition and the boxset sold out so it's not like the band is brassic!!
I just don't think it's a valid excuse at all, and I'm being grumpy about it because I'd love to go to the gig and remember it because it's so great, but I can't, so a DVD/Blu-ray release was the only way I was going to see it unless there are lots of clips on Youtube afterwards (funny how plenty of ordinary fans attending gigs can manage to shoot lots of video for no money, I guess all music fans must be lottery winners or something ).

I'm not even sure I blame the band themselves, it shouldn't be their job to even have to think about having the gig filmed really, it should just be an obvious thing to do by their management. They're playing the O2, not a pub for goodness' sake, if they can manage that they'll sell enough video copies to make money on it...

Anyway, sorry, don't want to de-rail the thread anymore than I have done, I'm pleased for people who've got their copy of Death of a Polaroid signed, it's a lovely book I think.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
| I know our time has come and gone / At least we blazed a trail and shone |
Old 18-11-2011, 19:43
Doors slowly closing

It's gonna be filmed anyway for the screens... right? He said there would be big screens.

If not, enjoy your view in the vertigo seats!
Old 18-11-2011, 20:27
I live to fall asleep

That's a bitch, I'm gutted it won't be filmed. I just hope then, that a soundboard recording leaks out as they sometimes do somehow and loads of fans in different areas can film songs and maybe someone with some talent can edit it all well and make DVDs for fans on here
Old 18-11-2011, 21:55
Winterlover

Well I went down today and it all went very smoothly, Nicky was lovely as ever and I thanked him for kicking off my indiepop phase by playing a Talullah Gosh record on the radio a while back. Anyways, got him to sign my copy with 'keep warm, make trouble' and he seemed pleased at the not entirely obscure but we'll say 'niche' reference!....

...as you can see from the photo... sort of! Giant shades/glasses + flash don't always go well together. Still, I was happy. Not sure if I bumped into any FD'ers but everyone in the queue seemed really relaxed and friendly. A good day I have to say; one the way home from work after I felt a bit strange, and then realised it was the extremely rare 'contented'. Ah, there's not many things, people or events that make me go all fanboyesque y'know.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 18-11-2011, 21:57
Stretched out in the sun

aye, congrats everyone!!!
Rough Trade, London - 2012
Rewind The Film Tour Bristol/London/Manchester/Glasgow - 2013
BBC 6 Music - Maida Vale Studios - 2013
Futurology Tour 2014 - Leeds/Cardiff/Leicester/Manchester/Brighton/Brixton x2/Bruxelles/Luxembourg
Rough Trade - 2014
London Acoustic Guitar Show Olympia, London - 2014
BBC Mastertapes, The Holy Bible special - Maida Vale Studios - 2014
The Holy Bible Tour 2014 - Glasgow/Manchester x2/London x2
The Holy Bible Tour 2015 - Southampton/Cardiff/On Blackheath
EMG20 2016 - Bruxelles/Liverpool/Birmingham/London x2/Glasgow/Swansea/Portsmouth
Old 18-11-2011, 22:06
I'm just a pasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Well I went down today and it all went very smoothly, Nicky was lovely as ever and I thanked him for kicking off my indiepop phase by playing a Talullah Gosh record on the radio a while back. Anyways, got him to sign my copy with 'keep warm, make trouble' and he seemed pleased at the not entirely obscure but we'll say 'niche' reference!....

...as you can see from the photo... sort of! Giant shades/glasses + flash don't always go well together. Still, I was happy. Not sure if I bumped into any FD'ers but everyone in the queue seemed really relaxed and friendly. A good day I have to say; one the way home from work after I felt a bit strange, and then realised it was the extremely rare 'contented'. Ah, there's not many things, people or events that make me go all fanboyesque y'know.
That's great.

My radar's off. I always thought you were a girl...sorry.
Old 18-11-2011, 22:30
A self-made vacuum

Lovely pic!! How many people were there still when you got there bambi? I was one of the first in queue and it was all NO PICTURES AT CLOSE RANGE and NO POSED PHOTOS!! Maybe the rules were relaxed somewhat when it was apparent that there was only about 50 people queuing? I dunno.
Old 18-11-2011, 22:33
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
That's great.

My radar's off. I always thought you were a girl...sorry.
That'd probably be the misleading cutesy username then, amongst other things. This is now making me laugh as I'm think of the Blackadder Goes Forth episode with 'Bob'.

Blackadder: So you're a chap, are you, Bob?
Bob: Oh yes, sir. [bursts out laughing and growls like a tiger]
Blackadder: You wouldn't say that you were a girl at all?
Bob: [nervously] Oh, definitely not sir! I understand cricket, I fart in bed, everything.

Ironically, I do not entirely understand cricket.
Cardiff CIA Aug 2001, Dec 2002, Jan 2005, Swansea Brangwyn Hall May 2005, Hammersmith Apollo May 2005, Cardiff University May 2007, Reading Hexagon June 2007, JDB Spillers Records instore Cardiff May 2009, National Treasures at London o2 Arena Dec 2011, London Roundhouse Dec 2014, JDB at Brickstock fest Cardiff Oct 2016. Maybe also James in Cardiff in 2006, now lost in the fog of memory....
Old 18-11-2011, 22:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Lovely pic!! How many people were there still when you got there bambi? I was one of the first in queue and it was all NO PICTURES AT CLOSE RANGE and NO POSED PHOTOS!! Maybe the rules were relaxed somewhat when it was apparent that there was only about 50 people queuing? I dunno.
Seems that way. I got there at about 12.15 and when I left just after 1, I could only see 4 or 5 more people queuing outside.