Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-05-2009, 23:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernica View Post
The only one I take a bit of issue with is WLW. It seems to me to be the only one where Wire deliberately changed the intent and made it say something it wasn't necessarily meant to.

I can see why he did it; just not sure I like it.
Yeah, I agree. It gives that song a meaning that wasn't there, or it seems wasn't there before. It reads nothing like a suicide not on the lyric sheet.
Old 18-05-2009, 23:34
Doors slowly closing

Having had a day or so to think more about this I reckon I'm mainly irritated by the repetition of entire verses in addition to the repetitive nature of choruses in general, rather than 'butchering' via lines being left out. The best songs, for me, are the likes of Marlon JD and Pretension / Repulsion where they make full use of the verse / chorus structure.

Incidentally... it's just occurred to me... anyone else think the title track sounds a little like Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters?
Old 18-05-2009, 23:41
Freed from the century

It would've been good if a full version of the folder had been released alongside the album in book form, it would be fascinating to see the lyrics that were unused and also to see the original versions of the ones that were on EMG, James sings very different lines on that early mix of TGWWTBG on the 10th anniversary edition so that song, at least, must have undergone some editing too (and of course Nicky added some bits later), and I suspect the others were tweaked to some degree. I suppose though that the fact that it hasn't happened now means that it's very unlikely to happen in the future.

Last edited by cherrybomb; 19-05-2009 at 01:05.
Old 18-05-2009, 23:44
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post

Incidentally... it's just occurred to me... anyone else think the title track sounds a little like Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters?
No but Bag Lady makes me think of Scooby Snacks by The Fun Loving Criminals
Old 18-05-2009, 23:44
Stretched out in the sun

Editing a lyric to fit a song structure is a standard practice of song writing. And as the Manics have allowed the original versions to be seen by all of us, that should tell you something about the writing process. Yes, lyrics will inevitably be different on the album to the original versions by Richey. But that's the album - that's how it goes. You can still see his original work thanks to the Manics making it available.

The point then is that you have to look at them as two seperate things - one is a journal of poetry left behind by Richey Edwards. The other is a musical tribute to Richey Edwards by the Manics, using pieces of his work to create something new and different. And it's a damn good album so isn't that what matters most?
Old 18-05-2009, 23:45
Knowlede Is Power

I reckon one day it will be released.
Old 18-05-2009, 23:47
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
No but Bag Lady makes me think of Scooby Snacks by The Fun Loving Criminals
Haha brilliant!
Old 19-05-2009, 00:13
Knowlede Is Power

In a supervision my supervisor saw my Manics badge and asked what the first album I heard of them was and how old I was. I was excited thinking I'd found a fellow fan, but sadly he was only seeing them since Fun Loving Criminals were there and claimed the critics said it was one of the worst performances by the Manics. He asked me if I was an emo kid who dressed in army gear, and said the previously miserable Manics fans bounced happily to Scooby Snacks. It was very saddening and I don't think I have forgiven Fun Loving Criminals yet. (I forgave my supervisor since he mocks everything anyway)
Old 19-05-2009, 01:16
Winterlover

Were they left as lyrics or poems?It's a crucial point when you look at editing them down. I haven't had a chance to look at all the full Richey lyrics yet. But the album certainly works so I guess you could say they did a good job with what they had to fit them into songs, they had to interpretate what would fit and what wouldn't its a hard job when the person who wrote them isn't around you know! How long did people want the album to be?
Old 19-05-2009, 01:20
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFlowerBill View Post
How long did people want the album to be?
At least four hours....
Old 19-05-2009, 07:12
Bored out of my mind

Void Interview With Nicky Up

Talking about the editing of the lyrics and how people might view WLW!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 19-05-2009, 07:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFlowerBill View Post
Were they left as lyrics or poems?It's a crucial point when you look at editing them down.
Most of them have verses, choruses and bridges outlined by Richey. They're just not always placed together as predictably as James loves them to be.

Oh, and there's possibly another issue here. Poor James wouldn't have stood a chance of remembering all those lines unedited, especially when performing as a trio on the upcoming tour. That said, I wouldn't bet on him remembering every line he's got now.

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 19-05-2009 at 07:48.
Old 19-05-2009, 09:05
Journal for Plaque Lovers

I really dont understand people getting all Richey purist on the lyrics - they had to make them singable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Poor James wouldn't have stood a chance of remembering all those lines unedited, especially when performing as a trio on the upcoming tour. That said, I wouldn't bet on him remembering every line he's got now.
Im looking forward to many many live manglings of the lyrics a la James:

"Saucy Saucy Marlon Jade Goodie" or "riding on horses with Chomskys cadaillac".
Old 19-05-2009, 09:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

Like people have said its a Manic Street Preachers album, not a Richey James Edwards solo album. The lyrics were always tweaked in the past - even Wire's "A Design For Life" was changed dramatically by James to make it a better song.

Some words are just poetry, not meant for music.

I'm just getting into the album now, cant wait to hear it over and over again, while reading the booklet.
Old 19-05-2009, 11:46
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Plus View Post
I think the song version of Williams Last Words is pretty much unrecognisable from the original prose form. A lot of fuss has been made about this song being a farewell or 'suicide note', and this is due to the way in which the lyrics used have been taken massively out of the context from the original.

The song version bears almost no relation to the original; the prose version reads as though it is in character and not autobiographical, a monologue suitable for the end of a film or play delivered from a rambling old British man. In the text there are a few parallels that might be similar to Richey's disappearance but it seems these very vague references have been removed from the rest of the work and presented as the bulk of the message of the text, whereas it seems the original is more like a drunken take on 'Removables'.

I accept that the words need to be honed down to fit into a song format but Williams Last Words seems to have either been dramatically lost in translation or misguidedly shoe-horned into being the kind of cryptic note people would like to imagine Edwards would leave.
Absolutely spot on!