Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 19-05-2009, 12:51
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Plus View Post
I accept that the words need to be honed down to fit into a song format but Williams Last Words seems to have either been dramatically lost in translation or misguidedly shoe-horned into being the kind of cryptic note people would like to imagine Edwards would leave.
As a translator I don't tend to give much credence to the concept of "lost in translation" or have a problem with people who interpret making something of their own out of the material. Which is probably why I'm not that upset about the edit.

They haven't been dishonest- they editing process has been laid very bare and we can compare the two, indeed examine the whole process of creation since we also have the demos. I'm more interested in why it was edited as it was.
I really don't mind if I'm being lied to

It's the facts of life sunshine
Old 19-05-2009, 12:57
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCarbohydrate View Post
They haven't been dishonest- they editing process has been laid very bare and we can compare the two, indeed examine the whole process of creation since we also have the demos. I'm more interested in why it was edited as it was.
I'm incredibly interested as to why it was edited in that way. I can also see why people would be upset about it. The way it was edited put it into a context that simply didn't seem to exist in the original prose, and I'm very iterested to know why Nicky did that when it was obvious how it was going to affect certain fans. The way it's edited now absolutely drenches it in the context of Richey's disappearance (farewell, almost) whereas if it had been altered even slightly according to the original text it wouldn't be nearly as tragic and emotionally loaded as it appears.
Old 19-05-2009, 13:01
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
I'm incredibly interested as to why it was edited in that way. I can also see why people would be upset about it. The way it was edited put it into a context that simply didn't seem to exist in the original prose, and I'm very iterested to know why Nicky did that when it was obvious how it was going to affect certain fans. The way it's edited now absolutely drenches it in the context of Richey's disappearance (farewell, almost) whereas if it had been altered even slightly according to the original text it wouldn't be nearly as tragic and emotionally loaded as it appears.
I totally agree.I'm sure Nicky was aware of the way he changed it. I wondered the first time I heard it if it was an attempt to make a farewell to Richey by making a farewell from him, could some (goodnight godbless) be interpreted as a dialogue? I dunno, I'm just speculating. The most important think to remember, I think, is that when the band took these lyrics they made new meaning from them (which I don't personally have a problem with).

Old 19-05-2009, 13:02
Bored out of my mind

Nick explains why in the interview on Planet Sound.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 19-05-2009, 13:11
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Nick explains why in the interview on Planet Sound.
Where is that? Is it online?

Edit: Found it!
Old 19-05-2009, 13:14
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Street Hippie View Post
Where is that? Is it online?

Edit: Found it!
Have you found it on Teletext or via the web? Good little interview though innit?
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 19-05-2009, 13:31
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Plus View Post
I didn't say they were being dishonest. Without reposting my previous post, it just seems odd that the text would be reinterpreted in such a way that has almost nothing to do with the original.
I didn't say you did, I was just talking in general terms about how they have made the editing process open for the audience to see.

I don't find the reinterpretation that odd really. Like I said, with a translation background I view this as a kind of translation of the original that brings in a new meaning, and we (luckily?) can compare the two.

Old 19-05-2009, 13:38
Footprint of history

I do think that Nicky basically wrote WLW himself. But I don't necessarily see that as a negative. If they hadn't put out the original lyrics for us to see then it would have been a bit dishonest, but the fact that they did allows me to look at WLW from a new perspective. If anything, finding out the true extent of Nicky's editing on that lyric just adds more meaning to it than if Richey alone had written it.

Incidentally, if it wasn't in such bad taste then I'd suggest we see how many different songs with different meanings we can all write from that original lyric.
Old 19-05-2009, 13:49
Freed from the century

I bought the deluxe edition, and looking through Richey's originals I do feel as though that it would've been much better if they had kept them as they were (Jackie Collins is the first that comes to mind - having a different second verse would've been better). But, it doesn't really bother me too much - the editing is, for the most part, sterling, it keeps the album short and punchy, which is quite welcome, and the album is utterly fantastic.
Old 19-05-2009, 14:31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Incidentally, if it wasn't in such bad taste then I'd suggest we see how many different songs with different meanings we can all write from that original lyric.
Maybe it is bad taste, but that sounds like a cool idea.
Old 19-05-2009, 15:07
Under neon loneliness

Location: In North Cornwall, bemoaning our lack of comedy venues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That actually sounds like fun...

Look, I went and wrote some books for kids....(clicky linky!)
"The best thing in life to hold onto is each other." - Audrey Hepburn
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
Old 19-05-2009, 15:08
Bored out of my mind

Hey, we could re-write some of the Manics greatest hits too! Or maybe not.........................
Old 19-05-2009, 15:12
Doors slowly closing

Bad taste is my middle name.

This is a little song me and Richey (shouldn't that be Richey and I?) wrote for Nicky to sing...

Code:
Verse 1
Let me sing a song
What a lovely way to surprise you
I’ve come a long way
Even for a tone deaf singer

Ch
Oooolaaaaa
Oooolaaaaa
First, second, third time
Oooolaaaaa

Verse 2
I'll sing one more song
You wouldn’t deprive a man
We're a land of singers
I'll try my best, how does it go?

Ch
Oooolaaaaa
Oooolaaaaa
First, second, third time
Oooolaaaaa

Bridge
Now do I want to finish this song
It was lovely singing to you
I don't know when I'll remember the words
It'll be a long time, maybe never

Finish it, finish it
I made a balls up again
That's bloody horrible that is
If I sing a song I'm up or down a scale

Verse 3 - including fan-baiting repetition
One more time let me sing a song
What a lovely way to surprise you
I’ve come a long way
Even for a tone deaf singer

Ch
Oooolaaaaa
Oooolaaaaa

Soundbite
"It's what Richey would have wanted."
Old 19-05-2009, 15:19
Bored out of my mind

Big LOL!!!
Old 19-05-2009, 15:28
Knowlede Is Power

Personally speaking, having now read the lyrics in full I think it's amazing this album ever came out. Some of them are just absurd and I think it shows how amazing a songwriter James is that he was able to write music to those words.