Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-09-2014, 21:06
Builder of routine

i think the fact the tickets sold out in 20 minutes tells them we're thankful
Old 30-09-2014, 07:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaitheanhorn View Post
I'd really hate the band to get through THB set and then get a bad reception for the newer songs.
I think the only way they'll get a bad reception on this tour is if the second half of the gig turns into Manics by the numbers with overpowering keyboards and bad backing vocals.

If they follow through and try to make it special it can't fail to connect based on emotion alone.
Old 30-09-2014, 11:22

The best approach would be to limit the non-THB set to Richie-era material but I suspect a greatest hits with Futurology set is in the offing!
Old 30-09-2014, 21:06
Desire on its knees

This entire gig was as a three piece wasn't it? http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp...7s_Wah_Wah_Hut

That was a fairly appropriate setlist, a short set in this vein with a couple of Futurology tracks thrown in wouldn't be too bad.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:45
Winterlover

Location: Getting down on my knees and praying for quick release
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwood View Post
Let us never forget the true horror of Reed's backing vocals on Slash n' Burn. "Keeel to leeeeev!", delivered in the same manner and pitch as Speedy Gonzalez. Never again.
That was actually Wayne....I have seen Sean R with his band The Rockingbirds where he sings a lot of vocals and no way was that in his range...

Lindz Delirum:" I was nearly a Mormon once"
Nicky Wire: "ah well, we all were weren't we?....you could have been one of seven wives"
Old 01-10-2014, 10:15
Administrator

Visibly wayne too. I don't like the backing vocals, but they must have been signed off on by the band.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51

Told a mate who's gutted about missing the tour about Nicky's talk of B-Sides, rarities and Futurology and while he isn't bothered about the Futurology he is happy to hear about the other stuff as it'll 'deprive the lager louts that roll up to these things of their fuel'.

I think he's got a good point, can remember so many times drunken non-fans shouting conversations over songs, jostling, spilling booze on me and just being assholes because they came 'for the craic' and to hear 'A Design for Life', 'Tolerate' or 'You Stole the Sun'.

I really hope that the hits and especially 'A Design for Life' are retired for this tour.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
I think he's got a good point, can remember so many times drunken non-fans shouting conversations over songs, jostling, spilling booze on me and just being assholes because they came 'for the craic' and to hear 'A Design for Life', 'Tolerate' or 'You Stole the Sun'.
The amount of times I've been around people talking over This Is Yesterday in the acoustic bit... I went to a tiny Wolf Alice gig not long back and people talked over the quieter songs. Why did you fucking come?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:47
Stretched out in the sun

Yeah, alright I like a drink but I like to remember gigs too. You're making a decent effort to get the ticket and get there so I don't get why people would just stand around and talk throughout which you could do in a pub at home. I don't know what people think they've got to say that's so important that it can't wait till after the gig, it's sad how it's increasingly unreasonable to expect basic respect.

Setlist wise, been speculating over setlists in my head and with various other sods for years now.. Wire's such a twat on twitter sometimes too, I wish I could resist reading it sometimes. Didn't he tweet the 227 lears thing just before they went on at Glastonbury? Glad I didn't see that, phone was off. He tweets every time they rehearse something, I don't know if he's deliberately being a twat and teasing us all or if he's just saying oh The Convalescent sounded good in rehearsals today to see how many replies he gets saying OMG PLEASE PLAY IT.

Anyway, realistically... yeah there are a few songs I wouldn't mind seeing dropped but I think, if we're looking at a 12 song set otherwise... it's gonna be a bit hard to cram. I'd expect Motorcycle, Tolerate, Design and You Love Us are the only real certs now, they've all been at every gig I've seen except the Forever Heavenly, acoustic Night And Day and Rough Trade - the special one off appearances. They've got a lot of semi-staples that come and go from the set like Tsunami, La Tristessa Durera, Kevin Carter and I think they're the ones that'll be giving way this time if anything. I'd love them to pull something off Futurology that they've not done, either Black Square, Next Jet To Leave Moscow or Misguided Missile.. B-sides.. realistically, Donkeys has been getting a few mentions and that'd be fucking great. Maybe we'll get Bright Eyes, that'll be nice. I could get carried away thinking about b-sides, as much as I'd love it I can't see em doing Us Against You in the Roundhouse, although I have seen em do We Her Majesty's Prisoners in the Royal Festival Hall... Hmm...

Last edited by sculptureofabloke; 02-10-2014 at 10:01.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53
I live to fall asleep

I really think that they'll go with their fav Richey lyrics for the b-sides and curios in the 2nd half of the gig.

They're guaranteed to play the big 5 of ME, YLA, T, YLU, DFL however.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01

Your Love Alone would be totally out of place and there is hope that they'll drop Design for Life as it's not the show closer anymore
Old 02-10-2014, 10:10
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
Your Love Alone would be totally out of place and there is hope that they'll drop Design for Life as it's not the show closer anymore
Ah, I can't see them dropping A Design For Life, the few times I've seen them close with something else it's been a bit weird and after all these years it still gets the hairs on the back of the neck live.

I like Your Love Alone but I'm kinda surprised how they seem to see it as a career saving song.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25

I think You Love Us was always a much better closer than A Design for Life, i was actually disappointed when they started using a Design for Life to finish gigs.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post

I like Your Love Alone but I'm kinda surprised how they seem to see it as a career saving song.
Well, they also see Postcards From a Young Man as a good album so their perspective is more than a bit off.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:14
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
It was a number two single, and their first release after their (self-perceived) career low point of Lifeblood, solo albums and a three year gap between album releases. As much as Lifeblood is liked on here, it didn't revieve the best reviews (though not terrible ones admittedly), and is seen by pretty much everyone outside of the band and its fans as their lowest point.

YLAINE got some of their best reviews in years, and so did the album. Understandable that the band would see its lead single as something of a career saver.