Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-08-2022, 19:08
Builder of routine

I'm still interested in the thing. But it's only music where this sort of stuff happens.
Buying a car? Like it? Well why not buy the prototype with no seatbelts or safety features!
I'm grateful there isn't an extra discs of alternate takes. Those suck.
Like that song? Well why not buy a disc of versions not quite as good or anywhere near the finished product!
If the energy crisis doesn't pop this trend then it's only a matter of time before it implodes.
Descendants will look back going "So they just bought box after boxes of stuff while their planet imploded?".

P.S. 9 days until the 9th.
Old 31-08-2022, 19:18
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I
I'm grateful there isn't an extra discs of alternate takes. Those suck.
Like that song? Well why not buy a disc of versions not quite as good or anywhere near the finished product!
If the energy crisis doesn't pop this trend then it's only a matter of time before it implodes.
Descendants will look back going "So they just bought box after boxes of stuff while their planet imploded?".

P.S. 9 days until the 9th.
Uh, not getting 3 disc version then?

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 31-08-2022, 19:28
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Uh, not getting 3 disc version then?
That's demos! Not many alternate takes. (Yes, didn't have enough for the three disc)
Old 31-08-2022, 23:46
A self-made vacuum

Talking about the Remixx of OoS there are songs where that approach doesn't work and the final product is lesser than the originals Microcuts(losing the first bar is something quite distracting, also gone is the panning in the outro). Feeling Good is limited and the crescendo that ends with Matt wailing is so fucking bad, like what the fuck were they thinking with that?

I do agree that Megalomania and Citizen Erased do have new perspective with the remix but I think I'll stick with the originals.
Beware!
Old 01-09-2022, 12:37
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic marios View Post
If they don't launch a KYE tour it means that they are rich enough not to tour and just record albums just for fun. I don't think so, remembering JDB saying that they took another mortgage for making their new studio. I strongly expect a KYE tour!!!
Rich people don't buy, they leverage. That's good debt.
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 01-09-2022, 12:48
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manualex16 View Post
Talking about the Remixx of OoS there are songs where that approach doesn't work and the final product is lesser than the originals Microcuts(losing the first bar is something quite distracting, also gone is the panning in the outro). Feeling Good is limited and the crescendo that ends with Matt wailing is so fucking bad, like what the fuck were they thinking with that?

I do agree that Megalomania and Citizen Erased do have new perspective with the remix but I think I'll stick with the originals.
To be fair, some of those remixes were about highlighting why those takes weren't included in the first place. The harpsicord on MC is just abysmal, but OoS XX is an interesting artefact as many of rejected takes point towards the sound they would pursue with Absolution e.g. the string on Citizen Erased and Space Dementia.

I doubt we will see anything similar with KYE20 because this was a straightforward record in terms of instrumentation. I think we're more likely to see things cut out (e.g. the strings on Door to the River) than new tracks being introduced. The interesting case will be Freedom of Speech where Kevin Shields's contribution is so buried in the mix that is pretty much inaudible.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 02-09-2022, 10:56
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat Sar View Post
Oh! Oh! I'll happily bite

Dead Zone on SATT was ill-fitting, that track just does not have a start that fits well anywhere, nor did it fit there. Useless change.

Prologue to History on TIMTTMY was even more annoying, as I had to do audacity engineering to get NLY back.

Neither takes any time -- and minimal thought -- to implement, and doesn't add to the album. (Other than an interesting glimpse into how the band views the era, which is something). It also distracts from what I wanted -- just remasters please.

What they're doing with KYE is different. The entire album has been remixed. This follows a recent and very cool trend in rock music. Consider the 2017/18 stereo remixes of Sgt Peppers / White Album, which had the eerie effect of giving the Beatles a completely modern (and impeccable) wide field mix. I enjoy these over the cramped 4 and 8 track "bounced" sixties mixes any day -- especially Sgt Peppers. And especially on headphones. A vast majority of Beatles fans agree it was at least a welcome and insightful addition. Then there's the XX Anniversary remix of Muse's Origin of Symmetry, which the band claim is the ultimate version of that album. Origin, despite strong tunes, had a crushed sound on release which made it a pity to listen to. Most (me included) agree that the new mixes are superior to the originals, much wider and better architectured. This rerelease also adds an extra track (Futurism, previously a b-side) and shuffles the running order of the second half of the album, successfully. Another example would be the French band Indochine remixing all their singles from this millennium, so they fit into a non stop barrage of muscular awesomeness on "Singles 2001-2021". (The original mixes leave much to be desired).

Would you rather have all these three albums just remastered? A remaster wouldn't add anything to the seven million times remastered White Album, nor would it improve, for example, KYE, which has a decent master already. I don't see anything wrong with bands and record labels starting to put real effort into these rereleases, not just a remaster, which literally anyone can do. (I can walk into a friend's mastering studio and remaster KYE today, from a CD rip, it wouldn't even be that expensive.)

It's a testament to how much work they've put into this release, that it's taken an extra year to complete. The additions, resequencing, reconceptualization -- it's the most ambitious of these modern rereleases yet. With a totally changed running order, new titles for the two resulting albums, two entirely new songs (one of which is single-worthy), plus five new tracks on the album, plus everything has a new mix with added elements / elements taken away -- it's just a lot of work. None of which take anything from the original. You can still just put it on. The master is great, the sequencing is what it is (not a lot of people here would say it's an immutable masterpiece of a running order, like say THB).

And even if the new running order and mixes suck, it will still be an incredibly interesting listen.

The only arguments I can see against Door to the River / Solidarity are

1) Their time would be better spent on making new music. Sure, but they just released a pretty damn strong album that went nr 1 in the charts.

2) The KYE era isn't strong enough to put all this effort in / the KYE concept goes against reworking. Most people think KYE is fascinating, JDB sounded amazing, and there was a grat atmosphere. And the KYE concept -- their Sandinista! -- lends itself perfectly for just such a reworking.

Actually, you know what -- I wish the 2017 Sgt Pepper remix went further. I wish Macca sat down and put Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane back into the tracklist, where they belong, and were originally intended to be -- before the label cashed them in as singles. Sgt Pepper would be vastly improved by Strawberry Fields in the first half and Penny Lane in the second. I've always found it underwhelming and short on hits, honestly; Strawberry Fields especially encapsulates the spirit of the album perhaps stronger than anything that was on it, save A Day In The Life Of.

Same goes for Masses Against the Classes and KYE. The Cuba-flag single that went nr 1 is not on the Cuba album. Of course you can't just shove it on there, since it sounds way different from the wiry demoish mixes -- hence the remix of the entire thing.

P.S. Sorry I go on these endless tangents guys I spend days listening to music, have nowhere else to write these thoughts down -- and am sooooo excited for this stuff.
I thought "I've written a very long post, nobody will reply to it", and instead you did with an even longer post! Kudos to you, but now let me reply.

Ok, we agree on the uselessness of the SATT-TIMTTMY changes. Then, I would split the issue into two different ones: remixes and tracklist changes.

About remixes: I'm not against remixes per se, but there should be a reason for it. I mean, if you recorded an album with a 4-tracks because you had no money, but then you make money in the following years and you decide to remaster/remix it...I can understand. Or I can understand it if the technology brings something better: it's the case of Genesis, whose album have been remastered in 1994, making the original versions sound very old, and then remixed in 2009 (even though they are officially called remasters, but it's clearly a remix), making the original versions sound very dull. I can understand: in the 70s sound recording technology was way worse than recent years.
But it's not the KYE case. It might be the GT case, but all the following albums have been recorded professionally (also GT, I know, but I can't stand that damn drum machine). So, if KYE sounds as it sounds, it must have been a choice. And if you did a choice in 2001, why change it 21 years later? That's this that I don't get. You could have done it differently, but you did not. Why do it now?

Tracklist changes: ok, I can understand this. They wanted to do two different albums (like RTF-Futurology) but probably Sony did not allow them to do so, so they released this "mega-album". I think that the "mega-album" is nearer to Wire's "career-suicide wish" than two separate albums, but it's ok if they decide to split it, and add b-sides, and add previously unreleased tracks. But, please, don't call it "the album we wanted to release back then", because the new tracks, as far as I've read, seems "unfinished" (like Midnight Sun, recorded during that era).

Anyway, I'm very curious about this album, and I'll buy it for sure. But I don't think it may replace the original one. We'll see.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:36

Sometimes this forum reads like a chapter of American Psycho
Old 02-09-2022, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
After all, we are babies crippled in Christ
Old 02-09-2022, 16:10

Touchι
Old 02-09-2022, 18:35
Builder of routine

Seven more nights and then it's released! Don't worry about the post strike.
Something to look forward to from Monday the 12th. Final stretch!
And with regards my post at the top of this page, we're still good, right?
EDIT: oh look! The store has posted a message on the page warning of delays.

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 02-09-2022 at 18:39.
Old 02-09-2022, 21:48
Knowlede Is Power

I still cant believe its actually happening!
Old 02-09-2022, 21:49
Doors slowly closing

The signed megatat bundle is now sold out
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 03-09-2022, 00:11
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
That reminds me…I must return those videotapes! 😊
Old 03-09-2022, 00:24
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
The signed megatat bundle is now sold out
Yet you can buy any of the individual 3 formats signed with a KYE T-Shirt �� Trying to make a few extra £££’s there me thinks ��

Still with Kontraband who knows, you might just get sent a signed insert when you didn’t even order one! (Ah, nostalgic for the GATS debacle ������).

Last edited by TheUglyLie; 03-09-2022 at 00:27. Reason: Emoji not valid