Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 05-07-2024, 19:14
Desire on its knees

Well that was one of the worst experiences I've had getting into a gig. On the basis of tonight I don't think I'll be doing another Cardiff Castle gig.

At least Suede are putting on a great show.
Old 05-07-2024, 20:26
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdavidj View Post
Well that was one of the worst experiences I've had getting into a gig. On the basis of tonight I don't think I'll be doing another Cardiff Castle gig.

Care to elab?
Old 05-07-2024, 20:31
Builder of routine

Quote:

Can I name it in one? "Security"? Oh wait! That Severn closure!
Well hopefully the band are on now and making the experience better.
Old 05-07-2024, 22:08
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Can I name it in one? "Security"? Oh wait! That Severn closure!
Well hopefully the band are on now and making the experience better.

Yep. You got it in one. It might have been better if it wasn't pouring it down or there was more communication as to why we kept stopping.

The band were the best I've seen them. jDB had extra energy tonight it seemed.

I hope that all the umbrellas they acquired tonight get donated to a homeless shelter or something similar. If they just get thrown away I have suggestions for another place they can go.
Old 06-07-2024, 06:41
I live to fall asleep

Yeah crazy getting in, had to walk miles in a circle to get to gig. Luckily made it before suede got in but seemed like hundreds were still coming in as their set finished.

As for the gig, sounded great, one of the best in a while.
Old 06-07-2024, 12:01
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Found That Soul* View Post
Yeah crazy getting in, had to walk miles in a circle to get to gig. Luckily made it before suede got in but seemed like hundreds were still coming in as their set finished.

As for the gig, sounded great, one of the best in a while.
I think the issue was that the nearest entrance to the town centre was reserved for those people with accessibility issues only so everyone else had a walk of half a mile + to get in to the only other entrance. Those who got in early were then "rewarded" by being drenched with a good hour and a half of rain.

1993 - Milton Keynes
2002 - Cardiff
2014 - Bournemouth
2018 - Wembley Arena
2019 - Bath
2021 - Cardiff
2021 - Bath
2021 - Wembley Arena
2022 - Bristol
2023 - Bath
2024 - Cardiff

Torn between the then and now, never really knowing the why and how
Old 06-07-2024, 12:53
Born to end

I didn't really have a problem with the long walk to the entrance and I thought the layout inside mostly worked well (not sure the toilets were in the best place as it created a pinch point though). Security were thorough but fine.

Thought both bands were great but understand the over familiarity of the Manics set list. Be nice to see them.do a rarities tour or something in smaller venues to appease us fans who go to every tour!

My only disappointment last night was it felt like the crowd was a bit muted. I was fairly close to the front and people seemed to be enjoying it but I wonder if the rain had dampened enthusiasm a bit...?
Old 06-07-2024, 14:27
Bored out of my mind

The previous times the Manics have played Cardiff Castle and when The Killers did, I've gone in the back way, so was expecting the same again. I think they'd moved the barriers to queue compared to the last time, but it was still in the same area. Security just gave my bag a quick once-over as we went in, so no complaints there either. I was glad they staggered the crowd out the main entrance afterwards too, as I'm sure in the past they didn't and it felt dangerous over those cobbles.

Obviously, the weather is out of everyone's control but it really was atrocious up until part way through Suede's set (my bag is still drying on the radiator)...not helped by the fact I've been struggling with a cold these past few days and ideally should have been somewhere warm and dry lol. I think the forecast is supposed to be better tonight at least.

I thought this was a better gig than Llangollen, but if they want to bring the best out of a large crowd, playing Orwellian and To Repel Ghosts probably aren't ideal choices (as much as I like hearing To Repel Ghosts). I'm surprised they haven't broken out Faster yet (apparently they rehearsed it for this tour). La Tristesse got a decent singalong though.

I think I've personally seen enough of Suede now. Nothing wrong with their performance and I can see why people like the energy Brett Anderson brings even if it's not my thing, but the fear of being singled out or hugged/serenaded is extremely offputting for me lol. Even standing a few rows back rather than on the barrier isn't safe, as he made a beeline for the crowd in front of us and caused a scrum as people tried to get closer to him.

I think someone earlier in the thread hit on a good point about this tour encouraging comparisons between the two bands and I'm not sure it's entirely helpful or fair, but you can't help it when they're both put in front of you on a co-headline tour that was sold on the premise that there was some sort of significant connection between them. I'm looking forward to having the Manics back to ourselves at Trentham tbh

Last edited by Abstract Unknown Girl; 06-07-2024 at 14:33.
Old 06-07-2024, 14:27
I live to fall asleep

From a 3rd of the way back I thought it was actually one of the most involved crowds I’ve seen at the Manics in a while. People may not always be bouncing around but I could loads of people singing every word
Old 06-07-2024, 16:26
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
I think I've personally seen enough of Suede now. Nothing wrong with their performance and I can see why people like the energy Brett Anderson brings even if it's not my thing, but the fear of being singled out or hugged/serenaded is extremely offputting for me lol
I know what you mean. My husband was "hugged" by Brett Anderson in Vancouver and it made him feel really uncomfortable.
Old 06-07-2024, 19:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Did James say something in Welsh when they came on yesterday? My partner claimed he said something in "not English", and I didn't hear what he said.

Hultsfred 1999 | Hultsfred 2001 | Truro 2007 | Hultsfred 2007 | London x2 2007 | Newport 2010 | London x2 2011 | Karlskoga 2011 | London 2011 | Copenhagen 2012 | Stockholm 2014 | Osaka 2015 | Copenhagen 2016 | New York 2022 | Cardiff x1.5 2024
Old 07-07-2024, 17:56
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by egaeci View Post
Did James say something in Welsh when they came on yesterday? My partner claimed he said something in "not English", and I didn't hear what he said.
I think it might have been 'Hello Cardiff Castle' or something similar, in Welsh
Old 08-07-2024, 12:32
Winterlover

Quote:

I'm in no hurry to go back there either, didn't rate it as a venue at all despite how cool it looks. Then again many big outdoor gigs can be a bit chequered, they often bring in the casual drunk talkers. Festivals aside it's rare I've enjoyed outdoor gigs anywhere near as much as smaller indoor events.

I'll happily return to Cardiff for other gigs or venues though, I love a visit there.
Old 08-07-2024, 20:53
Builder of routine

Darlings, the reviews are in on their website!
https://www.manicstreetpreachers.com.../live-reviews/
Has the Mojo review been published in this issue? And I was just in Liverpool this evening as well
Old 09-07-2024, 13:27
Born to end

Any inside knowledge on timings / running order for Manchester this Friday?

I have had an email saying doors are now at 5.30pm so I'm hoping that band times haven't been brought forward - my other half has to come direct from work. Is Mcr. Manics first or Suede?

1993 Southend Cliffs Pavilion and many, many times since then