Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 27-09-2022, 18:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
If I remember correctly, the bass line from A Song For Departure came from James asking Nick to rip off 'Billie Jean'.
That’s a new one on me but I can sorta hear it!

He had a slow start but he’s a pretty decent player in his own right and has his own signature style (adding a note a whole tone up from the intended note every so often is quite a Nicky thing to do… the verses on Ocean Spray for example)
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 27-09-2022, 19:18
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
If I remember correctly, the bass line from A Song For Departure came from James asking Nick to rip off 'Billie Jean'.
Yes, but again from what I recall it’s James…
Old 03-10-2022, 13:17
I live to fall asleep

Door to the River is the most unique Manics's song ever. Remastered version is even better.
Old 03-10-2022, 15:01
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
Yes, but again from what I recall it’s James…
Because you're being willfully obtuse, listen to minute 34 for James giving Nick credit for the slap bass on Always Never. I'll track down the other interview at some point:

https://youtu.be/v3PpyUtxvMI

Stand back, I have political powers!

Last edited by Routine Builder; 03-10-2022 at 17:14.
Old 03-10-2022, 21:46

Quote:
Because you're being willfully obtuse, listen to minute 34 for James giving Nick credit for the slap bass on Always Never. I'll track down the other interview at some point:

https://youtu.be/v3PpyUtxvMI
Thanks. And nothing said there Nick is actually playing it on the recording. He wrote it, that’s something different.
And yeah, that riff/performance wouldn’t necessarily be something I’d push for not being Nick playing, but wouldn’t be surprised it’s actually James doing it on the record.
Old 03-10-2022, 22:29
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

5-10% max of recordings is James, that's all you get. Again happy for you to bring out proof of your own rather than you know, making stuff up:

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp...zine,_May_2014

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 03-10-2022, 23:12

Quote:
5-10% max of recordings is James, that's all you get. Again happy for you to bring out proof of your own rather than you know, making stuff up:

http://www.foreverdelayed.org.uk/msp...zine,_May_2014
Thanks.
I’m not making stuff up, I’m retrieving from my memory of reading and listening to interviews/articles for the last 30 years. Then I’m mistaken.
Old 06-10-2022, 00:42
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderliner View Post
Door to the River is the most unique Manics's song ever. Remastered version is even better.
I think I agree with you. I had to issues with the FD version. If anything, I always thought it was a bit out of place (but Grace of God somehow wasn’t). But I’ve always liked it as a track. But don’t remember going back to it in a while. This “new old” version makes the song even better in my opinion.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:28
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
I think I agree with you. I had to issues with the FD version. If anything, I always thought it was a bit out of place (but Grace of God somehow wasn’t). But I’ve always liked it as a track. But don’t remember going back to it in a while. This “new old” version makes the song even better in my opinion.
There's something in James's voice, in this song, that was never revealed in other tracks. From "All my best wishes are just lies" onward, it totally belongs to Everything Must Go era.
Old 08-10-2022, 20:18

Ok, one month later, I'm here and I don't know what to do with this re-release.
I will never change the KYE tracklist, because it is stuck in my mind since 2006 (the year I discovered Manics). I listened to KYE 101 times (both my iTunes library and my last.fm profile confirm this), so there is no way to make this album starter with a track that is not Found That Soul, etc. So, I like the idea of the two albums, etc., but I'll never change KYE's running order. Royal Correspondent will remain in it, the b-sides will belong to the b-sides collection (a companion album for each album, as in my thread), the two new songs have been added to that collection, the Avalanches remix will never be in my collection as I don't collect remixes (at least remixes by other artists).
Then, there is this big issue: I tend to like the new versions. No, it's more than this: I love them. It's like going from 2D to 3D, like in the 2009 Genesis remixes. There is more room, the songs breath wider (I don't know how to explain it, but I'm sure that everybody feels the same). What I'm thinking to do, as I only listen to music using my mp3 files, is to replace every KYE song with its remix, and then doing the same for the b-sides which have been remixed or which finally have a good quality. I'm thinking to do, but I'm not sure that I will do it, and that's why.

Not all the songs are better. I dont' know if I will ever be used to it, but the ending of Masses seems like the song has been amputated. The same is for Wattsville Blues, and it's even more annoying in Convalescent, where the very-long "oooh" part it's a very important part of the song. Ok, now it's more "radio-friendly"-ish, but...I don't know. I don't mind for the instrumental ending of Dead Martyrs, but, for example, I am confused by Guernica: it's a song I used to hate because of its sound (I hate that kind of overdrive effect), and now it's more polished and I tend to like it. But I shouldn't! So...I don't know.
I like everything else, but I have to decide whether to replace ALL the songs on the KYE playlist I have on iTunes or not to do it. I will never do a partial replacement, because the songs are so different now.

Maybe the podcast will shed some light, I still have to listen to it.

EDIT: The one song which I will never replace (but it's on the b-sides collection, so it's not a problem) is Door To The River. Without strings it sound like a demo; I know it isn't, I know that drums are guitar are better audible in this way but...it lost all its magic.

Last edited by gabo86; 08-10-2022 at 21:45.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:54
Freed from the century

You could....just.....have both?
Old 09-10-2022, 09:07
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverDelayed.com View Post
I can forsee a situation where the version of Grace of God (Stripped back version) replaces the original on another reissue. Dave Eringa flagged in an interview that they were never 100% keen on the big mixes done for the Greatest Hits, which let's face it isn't really the place for a curio or a bit of a non-commercial track - so they both got the widescreen Manics treatment. Personally, I don't especially love either mix of Door to the River. The original is flawed because the orchestra was tacked on, and you can tell. But the stripped back one is sparse in a way that I'm not sure about - I think that's because I've known it with extra sounds for 20 years. Intriguingly I felt that level of minimalism worked nicely on tracks like the demo of My Little Empire immediatley, when I heard the TIMT demo. But I'm not totally convinced that taking off all the extra instrumentation works on Door to the River. Maybe I'll change my view on that, but that's my initial thought. And also, I wouldn't touch Grace of God at all, I love that one as it is - but that's just me and I don't know what the other mixes are like.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 09-10-2022 at 11:01.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
You could....just.....have both?
I could, of course. But the point is: when I want to listen to KYE, what version do I listen to? That's why I have to choose one, and I think that I will replace all the tracks on the original version, using the remixed ones, except for So Why So Sad (I could use the TLA remix, anyway), and I'll to the same for the b-sides except for Door To The River which I can't really like.
For the rest, same running order as the original KYE, but with the remixed versions (some removals still annoy me, especially the Wattsville Blues ending, but I can be used to it).
Old 09-10-2022, 11:40
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo86 View Post
The one song which I will never replace (but it's on the b-sides collection, so it's not a problem) is Door To The River. Without strings it sound like a demo; I know it isn't, I know that drums are guitar are better audible in this way but...it lost all its magic.
You don't say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine
Personally, I don't especially love either mix of Door to the River. The original is flawed because the orchestra was tacked on, and you can tell. But the stripped back one is sparse in a way that I'm not sure about - I think that's because I've known it with extra sounds for 20 years.
You don't say?
Old 09-10-2022, 16:30
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo86 View Post
I could, of course. But the point is: when I want to listen to KYE, what version do I listen to? That's why I have to choose one,
But you really don't HAVE to choose one. Sometimes you may want the original as that's the one you've always known, other times you may want the one where the band think they got it right. I love that we have both now.

For the vinyl, I doubt I will go back to my vinyl pressing of the original much as it is a joke to begin with. But on my phone/laptop I will have both versions. There is value in both and I am sure my mood/feelings of nostalgia means both will get listens over the coming years.