Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-10-2022, 13:46
I am purity, they call me perverted

Some people prefer to have a definitive version of the album they go to rather than flipping between, it's not that uncommon.
Old 17-10-2022, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntlDebris View Post
Some people prefer to have a definitive version of the album they go to rather than flipping between, it's not that uncommon.
And we know it well, giving our other common passion (whose release history is way messier than Manics )
Old 17-10-2022, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
But you really don't HAVE to choose one. Sometimes you may want the original as that's the one you've always known, other times you may want the one where the band think they got it right. I love that we have both now.

For the vinyl, I doubt I will go back to my vinyl pressing of the original much as it is a joke to begin with. But on my phone/laptop I will have both versions. There is value in both and I am sure my mood/feelings of nostalgia means both will get listens over the coming years.
I've been trying to reply to this post for days, copying my reply and trying to paste it here every day, but I receive the same error:
Error 406 - Not Acceptable
Generally a 406 error is caused because a request has been blocked by Mod Security. If you believe that your request has been blocked by mistake please contact the web site owner.

There are no curses, or swears, or anything like that, I promise...has it ever happened to anyone else? It's just a normal post (and I cannot neither send it via pm...)
Old 17-10-2022, 17:34
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo86 View Post
I've been trying to reply to this post for days, copying my reply and trying to paste it here every day, but I receive the same error:
Error 406 - Not Acceptable
Generally a 406 error is caused because a request has been blocked by Mod Security. If you believe that your request has been blocked by mistake please contact the web site owner.

There are no curses, or swears, or anything like that, I promise...has it ever happened to anyone else? It's just a normal post (and I cannot neither send it via pm...)
I've had that message recently. Seemed to only happen in the Manics forums. Can post anywhere else on FD.
It normally rights itself but don't know what it is.
Old 17-10-2022, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I've had that message recently. Seemed to only happen in the Manics forums. Can post anywhere else on FD.
It normally rights itself but don't know what it is.
The very very very strange thing is that I tried to replay to Vancouver's post and I got that message. Than I copied my reply and tried to post it (or even pm it to him) and I get the error, but if I post something else, or pm something else, it works. It's as there are "banned" words in my post, but there aren't...
Old 17-10-2022, 19:38
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Test: PFAYM is a good album.

If that works, I don't know why anything else shouldn't.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 17-10-2022, 22:30
Freed from the century

lol
Old 18-10-2022, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

Ahahahahahahah

Anyway, I'm just listening to it right now, and yes, it shouldn't work...
Old 18-10-2022, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
lol
I don't want to stalk you, but can you send your email address via pm, so that I can send you my original reply? It's just because I don't want to leave your post unanswered, but really, on this forum I can't post my reply and I don't know why...
Or maybe...I could put it as an image. I can try.
Old 18-10-2022, 08:14

Ok, this is very funny. Anyway, that's it.
Old 18-10-2022, 09:51
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

You guys!
Old 21-10-2022, 21:44
Knowlede Is Power

Whacking this through the headphones again tonight. Can’t believe we waited all this time for the reissue and it’s already been out for 6 weeks.

Utterly majestic
Old 22-10-2022, 02:02
Stretched out in the sun

My copy is expected to arrive by November 3.
Old 22-10-2022, 07:59
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
My copy is expected to arrive by November 3.
That delay sounds agonising, but it is worth it
EDIT: including today you've got 13 days to go!

Last edited by Son of Stopped; 22-10-2022 at 13:05.
Old 22-10-2022, 15:17

So, how does it sound to you, 1.5 months later?

Every time an album hits me in a "big" way -- as this reissue has -- I have a 2–3-week honeymoon period followed by an equally long hangover period. I tire of the album, set it aside, and even doubt it. This doubt is seldom, if ever, founded, The hangover itself is a sign I'm dealing with a great album. It causes an emotional reaction big enough to exhaust me. I remember falling off In Rainbows the same way, kent's Du och Jag Döden... all sorts of classics.

I'm sure others get this honeymoon/hangover effect too. A month later, when I return to the album, its true potential is revealed. Now, finally comfy with it and without the pressure of a learning curve, I can truly assess my connection to the music. In some rare cases it really isn't as good as I hoped/felt it was -- but Door to the River / Solidarity is NOT one of those cases. Going back into it, it's amazing. Basically the 4th and 5th best manics albums, maybe 3rd and 4th, fallen out of the sky 20 years later.

I've decided to listen to Solidarity first. It's a more caffeinated affair, a Saturday album. (Door to the River being a Sunday LP.) Second time around I can already see it's better than I remember it was. An 8/10, maybe 8.5/10? Some thoughts.

1. Found that Soul needs to be 1, and Intravenous 2, no question about it. Before tiring of the whole thing, I spent a week in Audacity to smooth out the transitions of the first 4 songs on, as that seemed like the only "problem" remaining in the project. I edited a piece of this Lacan quote -- (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW2F...rlindBoshnjaku) -- in front of IA as it seemed appropriate and made the transition feel more like the original KYE opening (I feel there needs to be a quote after FTS). I also worked on the ending of IA and the beginning of We Are All Bourgeois Now, adding a tiny drum kickoff to WAABN so it follows smoother. Then I fiddled around with Freedom of Speech's beginning to the same effect. The edits sound quite pleasing (sometimes they're shit, lol). Once I've perfected them, I might up to Sound and Vision -- for one person to download it and tell me I'm an idiot. Anyway, I think I've made my own copy sound more like a "real" album and I'm satisfied with it, as the opening four did not sound completely credible to me out of the box (unlike the rest of the reissue). Good boy.

2. Fuck this thing DRIPS. What energy all the way through. I was afraid the 12-song mammoth -- divided into two chunky 6-song suites -- might be too long, exhausting, etc, especially compared to the lithe DttR. But no, it's like a good jog, just the right length. You do need energy to embark on it, but the way it's sequenced goes a long way to help. The first half is by far the heavier and more challenging listen, from Baby Elian onward it's basically smooth sailing, poppier by the minute. For example. Studies in Paralysis brings a nice splash of melody in its airy chorus, after the excellently textured but heavier My Guernica. The final three are still a strong candidate for their best closing trio. Even the new mix of Masses sounds pretty good in the middle -- you just need to turn up the volume on that, otherwise it can be unengaging (I might add 1 or 2 db of gain later, the master of this song is a little quiet next to the others). The end solo of Dead Martyrs still absolutely superchargers the album. What a banshee.

3. Solidarity does have its problems too (though nothing crippling.) Even with a smoother kickoff (edited) after IA, We Are All Bourgeois Now is a barely okay third track. The good: it doesn't kill the album, the guitar solos sound great, it adds a bit of melodic respite, and the reverb on JDB is nice and a bit 60s. But you do sense the lyrics just aren't their own, a slight mismatch. And the production isn't as detailed or gripping as the other songs on Solidarity either. As is often the case with covers. The mix isn't as wide either. Then the transition of this into to Freedom of Speech... just doesn't work very well. But there's nothing to be done here. 4 is where Freedom of Speech has to be, I've tried a million other sequences and can totally understand why Nicky put it here. Everything else is just worse / even more amateurish. I might have liked Masking Tape instead of WAABN altogether, musically it works muuuch better (the transitions into and from MT are very good). But the lyrics don't work -- MT is a DttR song lyrically, spoils the personal / political concept of the 2 albums. So yeah, this is basically the optimal running order after the FTS/IA flip, warts and all. Even like this, though, it's an opening much superior to, say, the schizophrenia of Rewind the Film. (That just throws me off the album every last time). Though I do feel it's not until the excellent ending of The Convalescent that Solidarity truly unfolds for me, emotionally. (And yes, I too wish it was longer, like the original, but that's a minor problem)

4. I love how shiny and futuristic, yet extremely warm the album sounds together. The low pass filters on those guitars and drums are massive, sometimes too much so, but whatever, that's what different sound settings are for (I use more trebbly tips on my IEMs). It fits into their sonic evolution really nicely too. That little taste of Lifeblood / Forever Delayed on Wattsville Blues and Baby Elian is electrifying. (A completely natural transition: This is My Truth Tell Me Yours - Door to the River - Solidarity - Lifeblood.) These new mixes bring out all the pretty little details in these songs and make them absolutely swoosh by. Baby Elian especially is one of the most accomplished things they've ever done, sonically. The shimmering guitars, the bassy little electric kicks, the ethereal vocal processing... it's just a palace of heaven. And I think I now OFFICIALLY prefer the new Miss Europa Disco Dancer to the old one. It's just even more impressive in its crashing chandelier sonic architecture: a lone blue and white tile of coldness after 11 warm yellow and orange tiles.

5. Think I'm gonna go to a friend who's a graphic designer, have him write "Solidarity" and "Door to the River" on the bottom right corner of the old and new covers. The same handwritten font as the artist, small size. Like a signature. Would be the final piece to make them function like 2 separate actual releases.

Last edited by Marat Sar; 22-10-2022 at 15:48.