Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 17-07-2013, 19:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Still think PFAYM is SATT done right. One of their lesser albums but still scoring comfortably in the positive sector.
Ah jesus no.

PFAYM is right up there with GATS for completely soulless over-produced crap.
Old 17-07-2013, 20:22
I live to fall asleep

RTF on Jo Whiley now x
Old 17-07-2013, 20:23
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
RTF on Jo Whiley now x
she's cruel!
Old 17-07-2013, 20:29
I live to fall asleep

First listen on the radio and actually liked it better than the video link. The sound quality is much better. Was good to hear it getting some air play.
Old 17-07-2013, 20:36
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireobsessed View Post
First listen on the radio and actually liked it better than the video link. The sound quality is much better. Was good to hear it getting some air play.
The video kills the song for me.

My advice is to listen to RTF on repeat while you are doing something. I am currently writing an article and listen to RTF constantly. After a while you forget where you are in the song and JDB coming in and lifting the song up to the high heavens unexpectedly is just so so magical.
Old 17-07-2013, 20:41
Winterlover

Listened to RTF on Sunday when I was out walking on an old Colliery site. It was absolutely perfect in those surroundings.
Old 17-07-2013, 20:42
Under neon loneliness

Agree with the above few posts, I quite like the video but if I'm honest I prefer it on it's own. I suspect it'll actually sound pretty great in situ on the record.
Old 17-07-2013, 21:10
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I'll be honest, first time I heard it I thought "What they done?" and was pretty down about it. I heard it on the 6 Music breakfast show, and that's the version I keep going back to. With the DJ talking over the beginning.

But then later on in the day I listened to it again. Being stoned really helped. I knew it was like putting 3D glasses on your ears.
It was then I noticed the twiddly folk bit, and the way James comes in as if sunshine through clouds.

On my third listen, I thought it would be one of those album tracks that were quite good, but wasn't really worth re-listening to.
It was then I noticed I'd played it repeatedly over seven times...

Even today, I was with my gorgeous Georgian* and played her the video. It reminded her of her homeland and she found the video "Sad". But "sad" in the classic sense. The sense that actually means what the word says.
I've been slowly getting her into the band. It's not time to put on your pants as there's someone at the door, but it's getting closer. And I've only given her National Treasures (And someone's stolen the first CD!) I'll leave it a bit longer before showing her the other stuff.

So I'm looking forward to hearing the album and going through several stages of denial, disbelief, depression, deflation moving to interest onwards.

I don't think it'd make a good single. I really don't. But, as a taster. Yeah...
And obviously, of course I haven't got a copy of PFYAM any more!

*=Not in the biblical sense, but her welfare is now my concern, whether she wants it or not! She left everything. Everything. I want to be her right arm. And that's all you need to know.
Old 21-07-2013, 20:23
Winterlover

RTF has become one of the expensive Manics rarities...
Old 22-07-2013, 13:32
Knowlede Is Power

I'm completely and utterly in love with this song now, can't stop listening, it's just gorgeous. I don't like the video, I feel it was a bit lazy and they kind of missed a trick. As cheesy as it would be I would have preferred to see much more flashbacks, the elderly folk interspaced with images/photos from their youth instead of just the bits nearer the end. A guy has put a video on Youtube to RTF of just photos of him, his wee boy, flashbacks to photos of him as a kid and his father and so on and it's absolutely beautiful and fits the song perfectly