Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-09-2010, 18:23
A self-made vacuum

Ostopolitik has grown the most for me and I love it now. I don't think much about the space for vocals in it now, and I'm assuming that James and Sean (probably Nicky too) still compose the music after the lyrics in the main, so although vocals would be nice for the song that music may never have come to be based on some lyrics.

Lost Voices has grown on me a bit too, it's just annoying that the verse vocals are drowned out, like... a lost voice.
Old 13-09-2010, 18:54
Bored out of my mind

Listening to Distractions right now. Really good!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 13-09-2010, 18:59
Bored out of my mind

No vocals on Ostpolitik. Lovely tune though! Could have been a bit longer.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 13-09-2010, 19:10
Bored out of my mind

Second listen of Distractions and really loving it. Has that same euphoria about it as Masking Tape in that Manicsy way!
Old 13-09-2010, 19:54
I am purity, they call me perverted

are Lost Voices and I Know the Numbers on the vinyl release or have i missed a cd2 somewhere?

I love this little growing array of Manic instrumentals as well...Vorticists/Alien Orders and now Ostpolitik, all quality and different in their atmospheres.

Oh, and hearing Solitude on cd rather than a youtube rip, it sounds much better...strong
B-sides usually point to a consistently solid album.
Old 13-09-2010, 19:55
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle-the-wagons View Post
are Lost Voices and I Know the Numbers on the vinyl release or have i missed a cd2 somewhere?
Only available online from Townsend Records. (think they might be on iTunes too?)

*edit*
You can get them digitally from Amazon UK too
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Not-War-...07757&sr=301-2

Last edited by nocultureicons; 13-09-2010 at 19:59.
Old 13-09-2010, 19:56
Bored out of my mind

Hearing It's Not War playing in the warehouse at work sounds like the band are actually performing it amongst all the machinery. Now there's an idea lads!
Old 13-09-2010, 20:06
Doors slowly closing

Just bought I Know the Numbers, Lost Voices and Distractions from Amazon. Saw no point getting the full sets as I don't like instrumentals, we were sent I'm Leaving You For Solitude and It's Not War will obviously be on the album.

Think this is the first time I've ever chosen digital over physical. I just sold my soul.
Old 13-09-2010, 20:06
I am purity, they call me perverted

oh, thanks Nocultureicons...hopefully they'll end up on youtube (or S+V) as i've never bothered with credit cards and don't have a computer, guess i'm still an old fashioned kinda guy lol.

Hehe Gutless, actually GATS sounds in parts like its being performed amongst a load of machinery because of Seans amazing percussion on it
Old 13-09-2010, 20:08
Bored out of my mind

Very true Circle-The-Wagons!
Old 13-09-2010, 20:13
I live to fall asleep

Here's a daft question cos I don't know owt about Itunes - if you buy the b-sides (say the one that's only on the vinyl) does this count towards a sale of the single? Do you get the single and the b-side or just the b-side? Hope they count.Thanks.
Old 13-09-2010, 20:22
Doors slowly closing

Lost Voices = better than most of the album and I like the album. Reminds me a bit of Masking Tape and the chorus is equally as weak.
*edit* the last chorus could have had more oomph really.

Distractions is fun, like James' voice on it a lot. Wish he'd stop bending those low guitar notes a-la Ghost of Christmas, Imperial Bodybags etc, it's a bit Status Quo cheesy.
*edit* anyone else think the first few chords of the chorus sounds like Peeled Apples?

The music for I Know the Numbers sounds like a James solo bside but slower... Lost Again perhaps? Fantastic, best one. Wish there'd been something stripped down like this on the album.

Last edited by nocultureicons; 13-09-2010 at 20:30.
Old 13-09-2010, 20:22
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Here's a daft question cos I don't know owt about Itunes - if you buy the b-sides (say the one that's only on the vinyl) does this count towards a sale of the single? Do you get the single and the b-side or just the b-side? Hope they count.Thanks.
That's a good question, I didn't think about that.
Old 13-09-2010, 20:34
Bored out of my mind

Lost Voices sounds like Masking Tape as well? Good! Love that particular KYE era b-side!
Old 13-09-2010, 20:39
Doors slowly closing

Apologies, it's mainly just the chorus that reminds me of it.

I'm thoroughly enjoying these bsides.