Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you sometimes feel ignored?
Yes 16 72.73%
No 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2017, 00:47
Administrator

It doesn't really matter they haven't had many, my point is that north american tours are not profitable, and the fact they did two out of their own pocket is the point.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:42
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
It doesn't really matter they haven't had many, my point is that north american tours are not profitable, and the fact they did two out of their own pocket is the point.
I can see your point, but I still think the number does matter
3 US tours in 20 years, profitable or not, this number is laughable. We listen to their music, we buy their records and merchandise, we deserve to be able to see them live, just like any other fans.
(BTW, when they were planning their US tours they surely hoped they would be profitable )

Personally, I think they lost a lot of fans here between 1999 and 2009 because they didn't have any US dates.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:41
Stretched out in the sun

The band could easily have done the US festival circuit a few times. No, they wouldn't have been headliners, but could have gotten some much needed US exposure. Coachella, SXSW, Lolly, etc.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:06
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
The band could easily have done the US festival circuit a few times. No, they wouldn't have been headliners, but could have gotten some much needed US exposure. Coachella, SXSW, Lolly, etc.
Exactly!
Old 02-12-2017, 18:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagainstyou View Post
I can see your point, but I still think the number does matter
3 US tours in 20 years, profitable or not, this number is laughable. We listen to their music, we buy their records and merchandise, we deserve to be able to see them live, just like any other fans.
(BTW, when they were planning their US tours they surely hoped they would be profitable )

Personally, I think they lost a lot of fans here between 1999 and 2009 because they didn't have any US dates.
I don't buy this. They shouldn't have to pay out of their pocket so you can listen to them...though the festivals is a good point. Probably too hot for Nicky
Old 02-12-2017, 21:22
Bored of being bored

Quote:
I don't buy this. They shouldn't have to pay out of their pocket so you can listen to them...though the festivals is a good point. Probably too hot for Nicky
Their booking agents, PR people etc. should make sure their US tours are profitable. It's their job.
Old 02-12-2017, 22:41
Winterlover

Quote:
Their booking agents, PR people etc. should make sure their US tours are profitable. It's their job.
But to break the US is very expensive and as Takk says the tours they've done have cost them.....the PR people have arguably done their job by not organising more tours...ha....they would have had to tour extensively and I'm not sure they earn enough within home territory to have the kind of money and time they'd need......and I'm not sure they would even then find mass audience in the US.....I know I should do their PR ha
But sure the festival circuit maybe if they could get slots...selling a song to films/TV could also help mass communication.......face it you just need to come to Wales
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 02-12-2017, 23:05
Builder of routine

As they're not a big draw in America they've probably not been asked to play those festivals. I'm sure you can't just sign up.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:06
Administrator

Quote:
If they aren't profitable, how do you suggest they do that though? I'm sure they are not deliberately looking to make a loss. PR takes a lot of money.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:30
Bored of being bored

Quote:
If they aren't profitable, how do you suggest they do that though? I'm sure they are not deliberately looking to make a loss. PR takes a lot of money.
Sorry, but you can't convince me it's impossible. Lots of bands became successful in the US, and many of them are not even half as good as Manic Street Preachers.
Old 03-12-2017, 13:16
Builder of routine

Lots of bands become successful in the US because they spend months on the promotion treadmill that's required in such a large country.

Personally I think it's huge that they were prepared to pay for not just one but 2 tours out of their own pockets. I'd love to see them in such tiny venues.
Old 03-12-2017, 19:08
Bored of being bored

Ok, I found this bit. It pretty much sums up this thread (Nicky was asked if Futurology was even released in the States):

NW: [Sighs] Well, it’s our fault, to be honest. We almost gave up (on America). Sometimes, when things go so well in other countries, be it Japan or Europe? Well, America just felt like such hard work. So it was just one of those things. We’d been through so many things, when (1996’s) Everything Must Go started exploding, we kind of thought, “Well, it’s more fun playing to 2,000 people in Italy than it is trying to break America!”
Old 03-12-2017, 21:58
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry, but you can't convince me it's impossible. Lots of bands became successful in the US, and many of them are not even half as good as Manic Street Preachers.
Maybe not, but that's not an answer to my question. How good a band is subjective, and clearly they don't have the popularity today to make tours profitable, not matter what they could or should have done earlier in their career.
Old 03-12-2017, 21:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Personally I think it's huge that they were prepared to pay for not just one but 2 tours out of their own pockets. I'd love to see them in such tiny venues.
Exactly. Complaining after that is pretty ungrateful.
Old 05-12-2017, 18:13
I am purity, they call me perverted

So they don't want to put in the effort anymore to "break" America. That's fine, they are huge in Europe and Japan, and they're older so if they are fine with that great. Nicky’s quote comes across to me as a little lazy, but hey that’s their prerogative, they are a successful band in other parts of the world and if they are happy with that, then awesome.

There are still some fans over here though that want to at least hear their new stuff. I know they won't tour here much and I've accepted that but at least release the stuff, because if you don't I will just download it for free. I'd be more than happy to use my money to purchase it the day of release, but I don't want to wait months to. We live in a society of instant gratification, I want that shit now!!!!

As far as labels, and music industry politics go putting stuff on iTunes isn’t that hard. My band made a self-financed album and through some help from other websites, our album is on iTunes. Just search Sketchy Business, and the album is called Cellar Door, also available on bandcamp, shameless plug I know. They can do that stuff independently if they don’t want to deal with Record Company b.s.

Also, how did they lose money on these US tours? I mean are they staying in 5-star hotels, eating caviar, drinking champagne every night? When I saw them on the JFPL tour in Philly they were on a regular tour bus. The Holy Bible tour was like 5 dates, and the NYC show was packed. The Philly show not so much but I’m sure they had bigger crowds in cities like NY & LA. They should at least be making some money or they have piss poor tour managers and bookers, or they are spending too much and if that’s the case then that’s on them. I felt like they would probably treat it like a working vacation. Play some shows over here, make enough to cover travel and some expenses, see some sights or stuff they wanted to and that’s that.

Being a US fan for 20+ years I know what to expect, hell I got to see them twice which was two more times than I expected, but at least get your stuff out there so we can at least hear it and we don’t have to wait months after the rest of the world!!!!

Also I think the idea of playing at festivals over here is a great idea. They should have enough pull in the industry to get them on some bills, they probably would either have to fly over a lot or stay here for some time to hit a few of them though.

Last edited by gamehenge; 05-12-2017 at 18:16.