Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 13-06-2024, 14:58
Bored of being bored

London screening of Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave & Nicky Wire Q&A

https://www.picturehouses.com/movie-...ant-behave-q-a

Scared To Dance: Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave + Manic Street Preachers Q&A

Manic Street Preachers peerless classic third album The Holy Bible was released on the 30th August 1994.

Thirty years to the day since that album’s release, the band (in conjunction with Picturehouse Central and Scared To Dance) will mark the 30th anniversary of the album’s release with an exclusive one-off screening of Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave - the acclaimed concert film that captured the extraordinary live performances of The Holy Bible the band played on a ten date tour in December 2014.

The evening screening on Friday 30th August 2024 will be followed by a Q&A with Manic Street Preachers’ Nicky Wire and the film’s director Kieran Evans during which they will discuss the processes that went into making the film and the long standing creative collaboration between them.

Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave was pieced together from footage shot by Evans alone on each of the tour’s ten dates, culminating in three nights at London’s iconic Roundhouse. Arriving in each new venue, Evans would choose a different vantage point to capture James Dean Bradfield, Nicky Wire and Sean Moore’s performances from in as intimate yet unobtrusive a way as possible.

The result is a stunning testament to the band, their history and the bond they share with their fanbase. During performances where the album was performed in full for the first and only time, the band dragged every inch of emotion and anger possible from their most painful, intense and blistered record, enthralling fans for whom that collection of songs is everything.

Propelled along by an astonishing live mix by long time Manics collaborator Dave Eringa, Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave has been described as "the Sex Pistols directed by Gaspar Noé” - an all out assault on the senses and a visceral, brutal yet transcendent document of a series of incredible shows by one of the country’s most vital rock’n’roll bands.

Nicky Wire on Be Pure - Be Vigilant - Behave: “We wanted to transfer the intense claustrophobia of the record onto film to reflect the sheer emotional intensity and physical demands of playing those songs. Armed with just one camera, dug in on stage, we knew Kieran could capture that energy.”
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 15-06-2024, 16:57
Knowlede Is Power

Just put out a damn dvd already and stop dicking around showing it in cinemas every couple of years.
Old 15-06-2024, 18:14
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
Just put out a damn dvd already and stop dicking around showing it in cinemas every couple of years.
I'm sure the original excuse was epilepsy inducing strobing worries. It'll help in their bounce back after their shows. I can't make it but could we start a bet about Q&A?
I love the few minutes footage each night to a soundboard recording method. By comparison, other band Live DVD's contain complete performances.
If we can't get a DVD/Blu-ray then a live album version of THB would have suited.
Old 16-06-2024, 13:50
I live to fall asleep

I've got a copy of this, had it a few years, someone on here sent me a link... it's like 3 gig in size!! I might watch it tonight actually.
Old 16-06-2024, 20:58
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

It's on YouTube for those inclined. Bug skip, it's cringe inducing watching close ups of unaware and overly aware fans just on a laptop let alone a cinema screen.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 17-06-2024, 14:35
Bored of being bored

The Q&A with Nicky is the big draw for me.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 17-06-2024, 18:12
I live to fall asleep

Q&A would be cool. I honestly think the artistic direction of the gig (or gigs I should say) is pretty shit.
Old 19-06-2024, 20:45
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
It's on YouTube for those inclined. Bug skip, it's cringe inducing watching close ups of unaware and overly aware fans just on a laptop let alone a cinema screen.

I agree, it's a bit of a cringe fest re too much filming on the crowd. Wish the focus was more on the band.
Old 14-07-2024, 11:48
Born to end

I've never been able to get all the way through the film, something about the way it's edited and filmed tends to annoy me when I've had it on. I will say that description above - the Sex Pistols directed by Gaspar Noé - doesn't really describe the film for me but is a brilliant line. Was it one of Nicky's? Haha.
Old 16-07-2024, 21:06
I live to fall asleep

I think they need to stop working with Kieran Evans. He did some decent videos that were well shot like Show Me The Wonder (won a Q award!) and Hold Me Like A Heaven, but bar that his videos are crap and boring, especially recent ones that are just lyric videos with fancy colours swirling about. Maybe he works for free and that's why they work with him, but his artsy fartsy style just bugs me nowadays. They're very dull, but guess the record company don't pay out money nowadays for a band to make good catchy videos to grab people's attention.
Old 17-07-2024, 08:40
Winterlover

Would agree with every word of that, everlasting. His style is samey and lazy. I haven't been interested in a video of theirs for years now and the live visuals are a waste of production potential.
Old 17-07-2024, 12:46

I loved his video for Rewind The Film, but that was a real exception. Be Pure.. looks like a fan film by someone who was lucky enough to get into the pit and ran out of angles and ideas, so filmed the crowd far too much.

I've only watched it a couple of times, probably for that reason but mainly because for me it shows why the majority of gigs shouldn't be recorded & released. Especially the THB gigs - amazing to be there but too often Be Pure lays bare the flaws and the fact that they're different, older people compared to when they made it.

Oh and Pieces Of Sleep, the other Kieran Evans doc... don't get me started. What a wasted opportunity. Pretentious cobblers.
Old 19-07-2024, 08:23
Doors slowly closing

The Generation Terrorists one was good, where they talk through each song
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 19-07-2024, 08:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
The Generation Terrorists one was good, where they talk through each song
I do love a track-by-track by any musician really, even if with Manics it inevitably leads to them saying 'this is a load of rubbish, I hate this one etc' about some of my favourites. There went my dream of hearing So Dead live.
Old 19-07-2024, 11:47

Yes really liked Culture, Alienation, Boredom and Despair. Well worth watching on Youtube if you haven't seen it.