Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-08-2019, 07:34
I am purity, they call me perverted

25 years of THB+an interesting observation

Of course, today is the 25th anniversary of the release of the band's most (rightfully) acclaimed album. However, this has been overshadowed by Oasis' Definitely Maybe which was released on the same day. Never in a million years would you get THB trending at #2 on Twitter or your bucket-hat-and-bumbag-over-the-shoulder-wearing, Strongbow Dark Fruits-chugging mates singing its praise.

But it got me thinking: I think this is a really overlooked fact in reviews. It really shows how distant they were from the fledgling Britpop movement at the time. They would later warm up to it, of course, but listening to these two albums back-to-back is a surreal experience.

What do you think? Hoping not to open up too big a can of worms but hey...
(Also I found out that Revol was released on the same day as Live Forever. Again make of that what you will.)
Old 29-08-2019, 15:53
Winterlover

Britpop is one of those things that meant more at the time than it does now. Of course, it's a nice box to put things in. But the reality is, Britpop itself was more of a (admittedly powerful) marketing tool to export British music, rather than a cultural movement. The far bigger movement was the shift of the alternative into the mainstream. Go and ask someone in 1994 what their mates and colleagues would say about going to a festival. It was seen as something for hippies who just eat lentils all day. Then, all of a sudden, those same people found themselves at Knebworth. Then Glasto was televised and the rest, as they say...

I seem to remember an interview where one of the chaps said something about seeing Some Might Say on Top of the Pops, with Noel lifting his union jack guitar up, and wanting a piece of that action. So while they were worlds apart in 1994, in 95 and 96 they were briefly much closer. There's a big difference between Revol and Live Forever, but there's less of a big difference between say Supersonic and Enola/Alone. And I don't think there's anything too surprising there. Since they bagged themselves the main support slot on a bunch of Oasis gigs across the world, they had the box seat to the rise of a phenomenon. Not everyone liked or loved Oasis, but they influenced a huge amount of what was going on at the time.

The thing that interests me most about Britpop is actually the reaction to it. By 1998, MSP and bands like Massive Attack, Radiohead and Pulp had all either moved on, or had started to ditch the cuddly jumpers and jangly chords that were the order of the day in the mid-90's. Although it got a bit dark at times for some of those bands, once the identikit shed-indie bands fell away, there were some seriously interesting albums coming out then.

Last edited by darkanddivine; 29-08-2019 at 18:04.
Old 29-08-2019, 19:32
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsAManic View Post
Of course, today is the 25th anniversary of the release of the band's most (rightfully) acclaimed album. However, this has been overshadowed by Oasis' Definitely Maybe which was released on the same day. Never in a million years would you get THB trending at #2 on Twitter or your bucket-hat-and-bumbag-over-the-shoulder-wearing, Strongbow Dark Fruits-chugging mates singing its praise.

But it got me thinking: I think this is a really overlooked fact in reviews. It really shows how distant they were from the fledgling Britpop movement at the time. They would later warm up to it, of course, but listening to these two albums back-to-back is a surreal experience.

What do you think? Hoping not to open up too big a can of worms but hey...
(Also I found out that Revol was released on the same day as Live Forever. Again make of that what you will.)
Listening to The Holy Bible back-to-back with any album is a little surreal ha.
Oasis have been back in the public eye again a lot of late haven't they so that might be partly why Definitely Maybe's been picked up on so much as well...
I don't think they found a role within Britpop no, the whole cool Britannia and partying down No. 10 not really their cup of tea....but they had their moment or were sort of adopted with Everything Must Go for a while...A Design for Life....mondeo man etc...Welshpop moment maybe with Catatonia, Super Furries, Stereophonics....whisper that last one....
In some ways they're not a million miles away from Oasis. I do remember Richey saying I'm feeling supersonic give me gin and tonic was a great line...but he didn't really feel supersonic so...a little tongue in cheek ...made me smile. I don't see the 2 bands as worlds apart but I am glad they didn't pop round Blair's for a brew (even if Noel did say at the time he had to do it for the wife...)

The date thing...it looks to have been the Tuesday but I remember looking everywhere on the Monday and finally finding one lonely cassette copy up on a high shelf at WH Smiths...As random then as they are now....
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 29-08-2019, 19:44
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsAManic View Post
Are you sure? It looks like the Oasis song was (a week?) later to me (wikipedia and officialcharts.com).

But what I can make of it is this:

If ever Revol = Live Forever

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 30-08-2019, 12:59
Bored of being bored

Wasn't there an anecdote that the band had just finished recording THB and feeling rathe excited about its prospects, then turned on the radio and heard Supersonic for the first time and realised where the music scene was heading and that they were truly out of touch with it.
Old 30-08-2019, 15:11
Knowlede Is Power

It's fucking mental that these two so diametrically opposite albums both came out on the same day. One's about political sexual perversion, prostitution, anorexia, depression and self-harm while the other one is about sunshine, parties, drinking, cocaine and having fun. I love them both equally but for completely different reasons.

I also remember Richey saying something along the lines of "I'm feeling Supersonic / Give me Gin and Tonic" being such an amazing line and wished he could have written it.
Old 30-08-2019, 19:52
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
I did wish the band would make another out of step album, but you could argue they still did with RIF given most other acts are solo artist and a female solo artist and another solo artist and another female solo artist.
That said, how things have fallen since THB was seen as out of step!
There's probably metallic albums being released now but they just don't seem to be an extension of THB.

I at least feel compelled to introduce it to my Bangladesh friend (loving in Liverpool) and his family next time I see him. Sparked his interest at least.
He is involved with a Bangladeshi band that make mellow music but get videos banners for using using political imagery. So if doing that already, they must at least be familiar with THB!
Will let you know how it goes but probably be next week when I see then next
Happy 25th! And great thread!
Old 31-08-2019, 01:33
Freed from the century

Nice to read a few 25th anniversary articles today (bit surprising given the focus on THB20). Also learned there was a 33 1/3 book published a few months back I had no idea about.
Old 31-08-2019, 05:28
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
I did wish the band would make another out of step album, but you could argue they still did with RIF given most other acts are solo artist and a female solo artist and another solo artist and another female solo artist.
That said, how things have fallen since THB was seen as out of step!
There's probably metallic albums being released now but they just don't seem to be an extension of THB.

I at least feel compelled to introduce it to my Bangladesh friend (loving in Liverpool) and his family next time I see him. Sparked his interest at least.
He is involved with a Bangladeshi band that make mellow music but get videos banners for using using political imagery. So if doing that already, they must at least be familiar with THB!
Will let you know how it goes but probably be next week when I see then next
Happy 25th! And great thread!
Journal For Plague Lovers? That was completely out of step for them. ESP considering it was sandwiched between Send Away The Tigers and Postacards For A Young Man.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:20
Knowlede Is Power

Two thoughts on THB after listening to the US mix today...

1. There seems to be some spoken word under the chorus of The Intense Humming of Evil on the US mix version. Never noticed that before... seems too low to tell what it's saying though. Any idea?

2. Did the US mix actually improve any of the tracks? All I can hear are lots of effects added to the guitars and vocals. It loses that sense of sparseness and urgency that made The Holy Bible to gut-wrenching and special.
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 02-09-2019, 16:34
Knowlede Is Power

I think the US version of Yes is an improvment to be honest.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:11
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicide Aldi View Post
I think the US version of Yes is an improvment to be honest.
It's not horrendous, but the main guitar line sounds too... synthy
Leeds Uni - 17 Apr 2005
Leeds Uni - 9 May 2007
London Brixton Academy - 12 Dec 2007
Forever Heavenly (London) - 12 Sep 2008
Camden Roundhouse - 30 May 2009
London O2 - 17 Dec 2011
Manchester Ritz - 27 Sep 2013
Manchester Albert Hall - 11 Dec 2014
Tokyo Studio Coast - 8 Nov 2016
Tokyo ZEPP Diver City - 26 Sep 2019
Old 03-09-2019, 11:42
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkymotown View Post

1. There seems to be some spoken word under the chorus of The Intense Humming of Evil on the US mix version. Never noticed that before... seems too low to tell what it's saying though. Any idea?
No idea what it is (beyond barely audible mumbling?), but it terrified me first time I heard it. Still creeps me out now, like the track's been possessed - works well, especially considering the song in question...
Old 03-09-2019, 16:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

I only heard the US mix earlier this year - always thought 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' so never even bothered listening - and immediately thought 'fuck, this is so much better'. It's the only one I've listened to since then.
Old 03-09-2019, 17:25
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkymotown View Post
Two thoughts on THB after listening to the US mix today...

1. There seems to be some spoken word under the chorus of The Intense Humming of Evil on the US mix version. Never noticed that before... seems too low to tell what it's saying though. Any idea?.
Maybe drawn from the same documentary as the intro. It doesn't sound like English, maybe extracted from the trials, but even if it was English I still wouldn't be able to make it out

(less it's Trent Reznor)
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson