Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-04-2018, 21:43
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
You've moved on, clearly, and no one here or anywhere will have any problem with that, I'm sure.
I'm slightly intrigued why, on having hated their last three albums, you still post on one of their connected sites to say how much you dislike what they are releasing. Just feels like you need to move on, and nobody will better or worst off for you doing so.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 15-04-2018, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Would really love to go to one of the shows (prob London) but it would be a headache. And cost more than I'd want to pay for travel. Am I getting too old now in my early 30s? My last Manics gig was the singles gig at the O2 in 2011 and really don't want that to be my last ever Manics gig!!!!
I'm well into my 40's and I'm doing Newcastle and London. Obviously doing my hometown show in Belfast as well. Just gutted they're not headlining the 6 Music festival.

Old 15-04-2018, 21:55

Don't really get a lot of the negativity I'm reading here. From my viewpoint I absolutely love this album. Not a bad track in my honest opinion and I think the Wire totally nailed it on The Left Behind. Possibly his best vocal.

Old 15-04-2018, 22:01
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post
I really don't think any malice was intended with it. I've also not seen any comments about their weight either? More that their suits look crumpled (which they do, come on) and their stance makes it look like they're in a detective show. Most the jokes I've seen have been based around those two things, which say more about whoever styled them and took the photo than anything about the band themselves.

Come on FD, you've managed to be positive about the new album, don't let me down over a bloody meme
The jokes, true, some hilarious stuff there but I guess I am referring to the
comments I’m seeing. Btw did you see Sean’s response :-) http://https://twitter.com/seanmoore...070632448?s=21
Old 15-04-2018, 22:02
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
Don't really get a lot of the negativity I'm reading here. From my viewpoint I absolutely love this album. Not a bad track in my honest opinion and I think the Wire totally nailed it on The Left Behind. Possibly his best vocal.
It’s a stunning album.
Old 16-04-2018, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
You've moved on, clearly, and no one here or anywhere will have any problem with that, I'm sure.
I'm slightly intrigued why, on having hated their last three albums, you still post on one of their connected sites to say how much you dislike what they are releasing. Just feels like you need to move on, and nobody will better or worst off for you doing so.
Except you clearly...... Christ, leave the guy have an opinion. We are not a hive mind....

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 16-04-2018, 03:55
Bored of being bored

Loving the album . My top 3 at the moment: 1. Distant Colours (it was love at the first listen and it stayed this way), 2. In Eternity and 3. Hold Me Like a Heaven. There's not a single song I don't like. The Left Behind is lovely, so Nicky gets my thumbs up as well
Old 16-04-2018, 08:45
A self-made vacuum

OK, now that I've heard it in its entirety, I must say that RiF is not as shitty as I feared it would be. I even kind of like International Blue now, listening to it within the continuum of the album, without seeing that mess of a video The dissonant-then-consonant guitar scale in Broken Algorithms is brilliant! Hold Me Like a Heaven is definitely one of the highlights for me. Oh, and People Give In. There's hints of KYE and LB here and there as well, which is kind of good. On the other hand, I wouldn't cry too much if Liverpool Revisited and Vivian didn't make the cut, as I find them to be the weakest points.
Old 16-04-2018, 09:13
Doors slowly closing

Distant Colours has climbed back into the top 100 on the iTunes chart.

Stop enabling them!
Old 16-04-2018, 10:21
Doors slowly closing

I can't work out if I love or hate Vivian. It's a bit 'Turning Japanese'.

Great album - it's the best out of the triumvirate of SATT, PFAYM and RIF. And a big banker for the band, so we'll no doubt see PFAYM3 soon
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)

Last edited by UEF; 16-04-2018 at 10:38.
Old 16-04-2018, 10:27
I live to fall asleep

Location: I live in Seoul (S. Korea), but I'm from Umag (Croatia)
It's pretty much a love-at-first-hearing album. I think Broken Algorithms, Liverpool Revisited and In Eternity might be amongst my favourites for now. However, my brain keeps playing Vivian, International Blue and Distant Colours on repeat.
Old 16-04-2018, 10:58
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
I can't work out if I love or hate Vivian

Great album - it's the best out of the triumvirate of SATT, PFAYM and RIF. And a big banker for the band, so we'll no doubt see PFAYM3 soon
I wouldn't say love or hate for me, more like or dislike!! I do quite like it, but it just becomes a bit repetitive and lyrically reminds me a bit of "Emily" and "Let Robeson Sing" in that it doesn't really say anything too revelatory about the person in question.

Liking the album so far, but can see where one reviewer was coming from when they said that it feels more like a singles collection as opposed to an album. Unlike many of their albums, there doesn't seem to be an overarching theme and I suppose it is a bit like "Know Your Enemy" in that regard.

I had a few listens over the weekend and the only songs that didn't really register with me were "Sequels of Forgotten Wars" and "The Left Behind", but I probably need a few more listens. It reminds me a bit of of "This is My Truth" as well in that the more 'commercial' songs are in the first half of the album, whereas the second half is a bit more reflective. "Hold Me Like a Heaven", "In Eternity" and "A Song For the Sadness" from that second half of the album are particular highlights for me.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:24
I live to fall asleep

It's a fantastic album. There is a reason they booked arenas and are doing so much promo. The band and the team know it's a strong album. I see it as an album of two sides 1-6 and 7-11 and I've been kind of flipping between them depending on the mood. Still debating to go and see them now or wait til a winter tour.
Old 16-04-2018, 13:34
I live to fall asleep

I went to Harrogate for the day and stayed over last night and missed having the album to listen to. Got back home and one of the first things I did was slap the album on!
It's very different, but it's genuinely a very good album musically. I read the Q magazine quickly while in Harrogate and enjoyed the 6/7 pages the Manics got, some lovely photos too.
Oh, and not sure what the 'meme' stuff is about that photo of them in their suits, I just don't get that kind of pointless thing, but Bradders' suit is beyond creased up, it's really bad. Think they need to ditch the suit and tie look, I don't really understand it, I mean they can look smart at times in recent years with that look but I'd rather see them looking a bit more rocking or just casual. Anyway, great album!!
Old 16-04-2018, 16:18
I live to fall asleep

Chart sales on today, charts are announced on Friday's nowadays, so it's gonna be a tense next four days but I sadly can't see the Manics holding out for No.1 as has happened so many times n recent years
1 Manic Street Preachers - Resistance Is Futile (18.2k)
2 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman (14.0k)
3 Kylie Minogue - Golden (6.9k)