Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

View Poll Results: Which album do you preder
Journal for Plague Lovers 71 79.78%
Know Your enemy 18 20.22%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2009, 14:53
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
In the real World liking all the albums a band puts out is more dramatic and silly to me (this goes for nearly all bands who've put out more than 2/3 albums ), just given that no band is perfect. Music is as inconsistent as poetry.
a splendid example of this would be Mr David Bowie. i have bought everything the great one has chosen to release. when it came time to upgrade it all to CD, i dutifully purchased Tonight and Never Let Me Down. much like that guitar of Nigel Tufnel's that must never ever be played, or looked at for too long, they shall just sit there.

solidarity on GT, man. can't wait for a poll featuring that one, this will rock.
blog
Old 07-11-2009, 19:27
I live to fall asleep

Why are Manics fans obsessed with glossy production and albums where every track sounds the same? I love the raw production of 'KYE' and the fact it's got more ideas on it than most bands have in their career.

I'm voting 'KYE' if only because 'JFPL' is a bit too glossy in places - it could have done with being a bit rougher all the way through. Instead you get a few tracks that sound sharp and a few that have had their edges smoothed away (yes 'Jackie Collins', I'm talking to you).
Old 07-11-2009, 19:46
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Why are Manics fans obsessed with glossy production and albums where every track sounds the same? I love the raw production of 'KYE' and the fact it's got more ideas on it than most bands have in their career.

I'm voting 'KYE' if only because 'JFPL' is a bit too glossy in places - it could have done with being a bit rougher all the way through. Instead you get a few tracks that sound sharp and a few that have had their edges smoothed away (yes 'Jackie Collins', I'm talking to you).
You think JFPL is too glossy production wise but KYE isn't? Wow, you have really interesting opinions on the sound of music production.

For the record, just because I don't like KYE, doesn't mean I prefer the band to sound the same on each song. In fact, I've always been in favour of the band challenging themselves musically as well as moving away from a heavily produced recorded sound. I don't dislike KYE because of it's production solely - the songs musically and lyrically do not represent anywhere near their best work - but I'm not too sure how your arguement about production rings true considering KYE is a severly bombastic album...doesn't sound rough to me in the slightest bit. Oh well, to each their own and all that.
Old 07-11-2009, 20:12
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
You think JFPL is too glossy production wise but KYE isn't? Wow, you have really interesting opinions on the sound of music production.
Compare the production on 'Found That Soul' with 'Jackie Collins'. Which sounds rougher to you? Or 'Let Robeson Sing' with 'Facing Page: Top Left'? 'KYE' can be bombastic, but that's just because it's *loud* not because it's been heavily produced; it's distorted, rough and ready. Whereas 'JFPL' has too many tracks that sound like they panicked and wiped the distortion away (it's telling that they had it remixed after Albini had finished with it considering he usually leaves his records sounding very rough).

I find it odd that you're saying 'KYE' has glossy production though - in fact the only consistant opinion I've ever heard from fans about it is that it sounds rough as hell (although opinions differ as to whether this is a good thing or not). I mean, can you imagine a song like 'My Guernica' making the cut of 'JFPL' without having most of the fuzz taking off it (leaving aside what you think of the song quality-wise)?
Old 07-11-2009, 20:17
Bored out of my mind

I remember James bashing Dave Eringa about My Guernica. (In a typically matey, male way of course!) Naughty boy JDB!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-11-2009, 20:30
Doors slowly closing

i know close to f&*$ all about production, except that it seems to involve that class control board you see in videos and films, with all those excellent nobs, levers and things.

i do know, however, that if they released the "production" or "mix" they wanted to in the first instance, well, then they'd have nothing to slam out as a 10th anniversary edition, would they?
blog
Old 07-11-2009, 20:33
Bored out of my mind

I don't really understand production that much either.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-11-2009, 20:35
Bored of being bored

SERIOUSLY with this thread?!?!?!
JFPL is clearly gonna win my friends

*sparkle and believe*
Old 07-11-2009, 20:39
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
SERIOUSLY with this thread?!?!?!
JFPL is clearly gonna win my friends
Doesn't mean it's the right one though...
Old 07-11-2009, 22:22
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Doesn't mean it's the right one though...
He! He!
Old 07-11-2009, 22:41
I am purity, they call me perverted

I think it would be funny if someone created a mash-up of both albums.
It could be called "Know Your Plague Lovers", featuring the tracks: "Jackie Collins Intravenous Agnostic," and "Freedom of Speech Won't Feed Marlon J.D"

"There's still loads of anger and hate: that's what keeps us alive. When I go out there, it's always with clenched teeth." Sean Moore

Majestic Theater, Detroit 2009 * The Sinclair, Cambridge MA, 2015 * Cardiff Castle 2015, Massey Hall 2022

Last edited by JDMANIC; 07-11-2009 at 23:11.
Old 07-11-2009, 23:22
Winterlover

I voted for KYE but only because I felt sorry for it. Anyway, it's got more on it.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:19
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Discontent View Post
I voted for KYE but only because I felt sorry for it. Anyway, it's got more on it.
i once had a mate that bought and read books only after he had calculated how many pages he was getting in relation to the cost. whilst he read each book entire purchased this way, it was rare that he got one he really loved.
blog
Old 08-11-2009, 07:22
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

JFPL, but KYE doesn't suck as much as people say it does. I actually didn't even listen to it until this year because I was "warned" against it, bah!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:50
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarilynRoxie View Post
JFPL, but KYE doesn't suck as much as people say it does. I actually didn't even listen to it until this year because I was "warned" against it, bah!
CONSIDER YOURSELF...WARNED!

Repeat after me fuck fan opinions!

...yeah, I enjoy that sample of GT a lot.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.