Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 23-11-2010, 16:47
I live to fall asleep

Least it's not his Blackstar face!
Glad everyone in the Oz tour got to see them and enjoy the gigs.
Old 23-11-2010, 19:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post

my mate took a photo of me and James, though he doesn't look too impressed, i assure you he was overwhelmed to meet me...

At first glance I thought you were doing bunny ears behind his head, turns out it was just the 'Y'
Old 23-11-2010, 19:36
Builder of routine

Quote:
it was a brilliant gig...i saw them in Sydney as well and i thought this one was a notch above, i put this down to James playing his LP Custom without the pick-up covers (which he didn't do in Sydney), i noticed it as soon as he put the guitar on, and when You Love Us started the difference was noticeable.

my mate took a photo of me and James, though he doesn't look too impressed, i assure you he was overwhelmed to meet me...

thats not his grumpy face.. great photo
Old 23-11-2010, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack
it was a brilliant gig...i saw them in Sydney as well and i thought this one was a notch above, i put this down to James playing his LP Custom without the pick-up covers (which he didn't do in Sydney)
Hmmm... no pickup covers in sydney either

Old 24-11-2010, 00:46
Born to end

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here, but what a busy few days it has been.

Perth was amazing! The city, the gig.. it was all brilliant.

Lets start at the start, shall we (yeah, you should probably settle in and grab a cup of tea - this could take a while, I tend to rant!).

We were staying with some really good friends, one of which is a huge Manics fan. That was one of the deciding factors of going to Perth. To see them and go to the final gig of the tour with one of our friends. Seeing as he hadn't seen the band before we headed in to try and catch them at soundcheck. They were already inside so we stood around chatting and then James came out the side door, he started to walk the other way down this alley but then he turned and saw us and headed over and we had a quick chat. (by the way, there was only me, Jessy and Simon... no other fans at all). James said him and Nick had spent 5 hours wondering around looking at record stores etc (mentioned 78 records in particular) and that he was doing his bit to keep the local economy afloat. He was lovely and we said goodbye and off he wandered.

A few minutes later Nicky came out with a big grin and said hello, we had a quick line of conversation or two as he strolled past - off to make a phone call.

They both returned about 20 mins later and headed in and we heard a LONG soundcheck (with the door open, so it sounded amazing). Must have been nearly 1 1/2 hours. It was 6:30 before they finished.

We were talking amongst ourselves and i was facing away from the back door when Nick and Sean left, apparently Nicky gave us a huge smile but they were obviously in a hurry and scooted to the van. So we didn't get any autographs or photos or anything then... I don't like to be a pushy or imposing fan. You can always tell if the time is right or not.

We went around the front of the venue and were the first people to line up too (at 6:30 for an 8pm door haha.) While were were waiting in line we saw James walk past on his phone with some of the crew. They walked off up the street and around the corner.

When doors opened we got our positions on the barrier. It was a comparable size to HQ in Adelaide. It seemed pretty full as well, by the time the gig started. And it was SO rough down the front. I had spent all this time telling my friends about how it has been fine down on the barrier, so of course this time it wasn't!

The gig was amazing. After 1 or 2 songs (I can't remember exactly) James said something like "Ooh I see we've got a feisty Perth". And you could really see James loving the crowd's reaction through-out the set. Like someone else said, during 'The Everlasting' the crowd was so loud. At one point when we were all about to sing the chorus James walked to the front of the stage, away from the mike and said "You make me feel like I'm back in Wales". You could just see the pure joy on his face, really was special.

'Design For Life' was emotional for everyone I think. I was teary, it has that effect on my anyway, but it was the last song of the last gig of the tour. I knew I wouldn't see those boys again any time soon, I was with friends, and the crowd were into it - I have never yelled so loud in my life!

After the gig we headed around the back again and there were probably about 15 - 20 people who waited for the band to come out. Not many. And the band were super lovely and took their time signing and posing with everyone. Nicky was out first and we were standing a little more towards the Tarago so when he was finished with everyone else he came over towards us. He had a big grin and said 'Hiya' to me as he was walking over. I said the usual, thanks for the gig etc. He said thanks for coming to so many shows, and that I didn't have to do that! haha. I got a hug from him which made me so happy.

We spoke about the gigs and the crowds, he said he saw me getting a few elbows down the front.

I tend to kind of go into mini-journalist mode when I meet people like this (I did the same with Billy Corgan). So I asked Nicky what exactly were they expecting before the tour, he said they thought there would be less people and that they had been pleasantly surprised.

I asked if there was a reason why they didn't play any songs from 'Journal' and this was hilarious. Nicky just smiled and said "We couldn't really be arsed!" haha. He said its getting towards the end of the tour and they are pretty tired, and I guess those songs must be both emotional and physically draining. Can't really argue with the man!

I thanked him for playing FDTW and LTD and said that they should have done that more (i.e. mixed things up a little more). I don't think they expected people to go to more than one show.

Nicky said its so much nicer doing the M&G's in Australia after the shows because the weather is so much nicer and you aren't huddled up (and he kinda put his arms around himself and huddled up, cute!)

He said that he didn't realise (or forgot I guess, as they have been here before) that Australia is so big. And he asked if people drive from city to city? I told him that Adelaide to Melbourne is 9 hours, and he said - do people do that? Sometimes I said. And then he asked about driving to Perth. I said it would take like a week and be all desert etc. He said that sounds kinda nice, and we all laughed because we know it would be horrendous. I said that we all think that the green Welsh countryside looks nice to us, just like we see in Doctor Who. And that reminded me to ask him about his Doctor Who script. He said its done, but he has no avenue to get it to anyone involved with the show. He said he would like Michael Sheen to play Dylan Thomas in it.

He stood and spoke for quite a while. By this time all the other fans had left after getting stuff signed etc. So it was just me (doing all the chatting, like a chatter-box with Nicky), Jessy, and 3 of our friends. Was pretty special. Nicky was so comfy that he even took a few steps over to be able to lean on a wall while he chatted to us. That made me laugh, I said to the other guys he probably thought - Here we go, this girl is gonna go on for a while, better make myself comfortable.

When we were finished talking to Nicky he went off into the van, and James walked by (i still had my You Love Us 7" to try and get signed, and missed Sean while I was talking to Nicky) so I scooted off after James, I shook his hand and then got a hug from him and a thanks for coming. I thanked him for all the gigs etc. He was lovely as always. James kept apologising to everyone for the technical issues, and everyone was saying "bah, what ever, doesn't matter AT ALL!". It was cute.

They were so polite and accommodating and just really nice guys. Was such a great way to end the gig and the tour. I would have loved to have got photos then but I had already had them in Adelaide, and didn't want to be THAT person who gets photos at every gig, especially when you know that the band knows who you are. So it was nice just to get that 10 mins with Nicky, and a little chat with James.

/End Rant.

I just watched some of the video's that are up on You Tube, I hope some more emerge. They seem to all be 'The Everlasting' 'Australia' and 'Design For Life' haha. But they are great to watch!

Now we have the come-down

Last edited by scotopic lux; 24-11-2010 at 02:18.
Old 24-11-2010, 01:46

Great great stuff K. Sounds like Perth was a blast. So nice to meet you and Jess.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:18

Ditto!!

Love your rant. Hope you're having a lovely birthday too
Old 24-11-2010, 06:17

That sounds like an awesome gig! Can understand why they prefer to do the meet and greets in a country where it's warmer! What I wanna know is...... Did anyone say 'YOU'RE NOT IN PERTH, YOU'RE IN FREO!'????
Old 24-11-2010, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehammer View Post
Hmmm... no pickup covers in sydney either
right you are

i'm starting to understand why my detective agency went bust so quickly
Old 25-11-2010, 04:07
Tyrion

Photos

Just found some photos of the Perth gig at this website.
http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/galle...reet-Preachers
Old 26-11-2010, 11:57
Born to end

Quote:

James looks as beautiful, charming, sexy, gorgeous, hot, mysterious, stunning as ever.
Old 30-11-2010, 05:40
sunky

Hello, long time lurker ... first time poster and close friend of scotopic_lux from Perth that caught the Manics in Perth.

It has been a week since the show and I can't stop thinking about it. I've never felt this way after any other concert I've seen, it was near on perfect. The band, the crowd and the venue all came together for an enjoyable night.

I've uploaded some photos from the show:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brunky/...7625326588275/

and a few others of when I was lucky enough to meet the guys after the show.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:40
Born to end

Thanks for sharing Sunky, you have some brilliant photos there!