Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 14:15
Born to end

Recording "Generation Terrorists" -- Which Telecaster, vocal mic, and bass were used?

"Generation Terrorists" is my favorite album of all time. I'm having trouble finding any information on how it was made and what the band used in the studio, making it in 1991.

Amazing songwriting, performance and concept are what made it revolutionary and an amazing instant classic album, but the sound itself is standard. That said, I haven't been able to find as many or any "Making of" or "In the studio" articles or videos for it.

It's not exactly Nirvana "Nevermind", Weezer "Pinkerton" or Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream" in terms of sonics, where there are hundreds of forum posts talking about the sound, nor do I believe obscure equipment or anything out of the ordinary was used.

In regards to "Generation Terrorists", a lot of people have said James actually recorded with a Telecaster for his guitar tracks. Which Telecaster was this? An American Standard or Richey's Thinline? Was this mystery Telecaster used exclusively on that album or also in conjunction with JDB's trademark Gibson Les Paul Custom? How was it established that James used a Telecaster on this in the first place?

Which microphone did James use to record vocals on GT?

As for Nicky's bass tracks on GT, what bass guitar and amp did he use to record that album with? There's a lot of information on Nicky's live rig, what he uses today at shows, but I'd like to find out from someone who actually knows, what his recording rig was like during GT. His GT bass tone doesn't sound like a Rickenbacker Bass to me, as that's more the sound he has on THB.

Did James use a boost pedal for his amps recording GT or just plug in without pedals and play?

For those who can actually view the Generation Terrorists 20th Anniversary Documentary or the Track by Track commentary videos, do they talk about recording the album and equipment?

Also, are there any actual photos or videos of the band in the studio recording GT?

Any insight on their 2 main instruments (guitar and bass) and what mic they used for James' vocals for that album would be great.