Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-05-2019, 21:04
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Fighting At Manics Gigs Can Just Fuck Off Thanks

Fighting reported to have broken out during I'm Not Working in tonight's Southampton show.
Fighting as well at last night's gig.
Posting in main Manics forum to tell whoever is doing it to fuck right off. You aren't what we are.
Old 24-05-2019, 21:49
Builder of routine

Again ??? Just close the fucking bar
Old 24-05-2019, 21:57
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

It's getting to be a bit shit..

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 24-05-2019, 21:59
Doors slowly closing

I’m Not Working is triggering people.
Old 24-05-2019, 22:03

"That's not how you tune a fucking sitar!!!"

It's not funny though, a genuine lack of consideration for others at gigs.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 24-05-2019, 22:09
Bored out of my mind

Wtf is wrong with some people?! Two nights in a row is really bad. I don’t get why you would spend money on something that’s meant to be fun and behave that way. Utter morons.
Old 25-05-2019, 00:48
I am purity, they call me perverted

I don’t understand why it’s happening so much on this tour. I’ve seen them since 93 and never seen a fight. Some proper mosh pits and the like but friendly.
This really isn’t good news. Do you think it may be more the casual fan as Timttmy was their most casual fan base?

Stay Beautiful.
Old 25-05-2019, 12:54
Desire on its knees

Ban two pint cups. Just silly innit.
Old 25-05-2019, 16:15
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by qster View Post
I don’t understand why it’s happening so much on this tour. I’ve seen them since 93 and never seen a fight. Some proper mosh pits and the like but friendly.
This really isn’t good news. Do you think it may be more the casual fan as Timttmy was their most casual fan base?
I really really hope so. I love standing at gigs but if it's not going to be safe I'll watch from the seats
Old 25-05-2019, 18:31
Bored of being bored

Like many have pointed out in the previous posts it's obvious that Manics fans are definitely much older and it's true older people certainly drink much, much more than probably people in their late teens or early 20s and are more prone to violent tendencies hence why the trouble happened at Birmingham & Southampton.

I was at Shepherds Bush Empire last Saturday and truth be told though there were a lot of men and older people thankfully no trouble occurred that evening that I saw. I know a female was assaulted on the Saturday, another terrible thing to happen.

What's interesting is that I was watching the Cardiff Castle gig & if you look at that crowd there are alot of guys and a very dull crowd, not very active and older as well. People active at gigs or moshing etc are not drinking or starting fights.

Manic Street Preachers are not attracting a younger generation of fans so for example if you got into them about 1994/1995 and you were say 20/21 then you know you would obviously be in or near your 50s literally so I think it says a lot about the band and their music in terms of what they also play, which is pretty generic, most folk acknowledge that PPF tour in 2005 were probably their best set lists ever.

A much younger generation of fans came in on the commercial LP releases but since 2001 faded slowly. I've seen literally every tour since 1994 but now I'm simply not interested.

Sadly the fans are turning more into football Hooligan, Barmey army type of people is not like before and that's really sad, asbefore it was proper Mosh Pits & friendly etc That will never be repeated or occur again.

It should not put people off from going but it does have an impact on everyone including the band. It's not how Manics fans behave.
Old 25-05-2019, 18:42
Bored of being bored

I can remember back in the EMG/TIMTTMY days there was a lot of concern from fans that had followed the band from the early days about the influx of newer fans who were just there to sing along to the one about only wanting to get drunk. Of particular concern were the chavy Oasis fans who may have latched onto the band from the various support slots the Manics had done for the Gallaghers. I can't remember hearing much about any actual trouble (the world being a different one now), although when I did saw them on the original TIMTTMY tour I do remember someone in the crowd loudly exclaiming "I think we can all agree old Manics fans are better than new ones" as if they were trying to start some trouble.

In 20+ years of gig going I can't remember seeing a punch up at a gig, especially not one that stopped a performance.... a few angry confrontations when people standing near the mosh pit got pushed, but that's about it. Why there's been three occurrences in two gigs is beyond me - is it a freakish statistical anomaly? Were the same groups of people involved? We can only speculate and hope it's not a growing trend.
Old 25-05-2019, 18:46

I just don't get the whole getting pissed at gigs thing. Three nights on this tour and I managed a single pint towards the end of the Dublin show. This was mainly due to a mate grabbing one for me. Once I get my spot close to the front I'm not for leaving.

I'd love to see them close the bar at venues but they're making far too much money to do that. It's inevitable that when there's alcohol involved there's always a dickhead close by.

Old 25-05-2019, 19:35
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
I'd love to see them close the bar at venues
Thats what has happened both times I have seen them at Leicester De Montfort Hall, so I guess that is their policy, and I whole heartedly agree with it.

Fortunately I have never witnessed any fighting at a Manics gig, and hopefully never will. However, I have been made uncomfortable a few times by the behaviour of drunk blokes. Swansea stadium was the nadir, when I felt genuinely scared by the end.

I don't understand either why these people pay so much for what is in effect another night on the piss, which they will hardly remember the next day. Much better for all if they just stayed at home with some cans and their cd's.
Old 25-05-2019, 20:23
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
Like many have pointed out in the previous posts it's obvious that Manics fans are definitely much older and it's true older people certainly drink much, much more than probably people in their late teens or early 20s and are more prone to violent tendencies hence why the trouble happened at Birmingham & Southampton.

I was at Shepherds Bush Empire last Saturday and truth be told though there were a lot of men and older people thankfully no trouble occurred that evening that I saw. I know a female was assaulted on the Saturday, another terrible thing to happen.

What's interesting is that I was watching the Cardiff Castle gig & if you look at that crowd there are alot of guys and a very dull crowd, not very active and older as well. People active at gigs or moshing etc are not drinking or starting fights.

Manic Street Preachers are not attracting a younger generation of fans so for example if you got into them about 1994/1995 and you were say 20/21 then you know you would obviously be in or near your 50s literally so I think it says a lot about the band and their music in terms of what they also play, which is pretty generic, most folk acknowledge that PPF tour in 2005 were probably their best set lists ever.

A much younger generation of fans came in on the commercial LP releases but since 2001 faded slowly. I've seen literally every tour since 1994 but now I'm simply not interested.

Sadly the fans are turning more into football Hooligan, Barmey army type of people is not like before and that's really sad, asbefore it was proper Mosh Pits & friendly etc That will never be repeated or occur again.

It should not put people off from going but it does have an impact on everyone including the band. It's not how Manics fans behave.
So many essential points in here.

Let's be reductive and indulge in a bit of typecasting here.

I was also at the Shepherd's Bush gig last Saturday like Crow. In fact I went with my better half and we took our place beside one of the doors.

Out of 10 Manics fans coming in that door, I'd say there were 8 guys for every 2 girls. Maybe even 9 for 1. And the guys were all 35+ and coming in together. In other words, they were at uni during this era and they were still dressing like there were at uni. So they were there to get hammered. And the TIMT merch t-shirts were stretching to cover the beer bellies. Not a good look.

And, quite frankly, the lack of female company with the lads therefore was of no surprise. It was incredible to me the lack of girls and women at the gig. But the lads didn't care as they were all there together to remember the times when they didn't feel like failures. No wonder the fighting started during "I'm Not Working" at one of the gigs this week.

Maybe I'm going overboard on an Internet forum for effect but it was embarrassing seeing the breakdown of the crowd.
Old 25-05-2019, 20:34
Stretched out in the sun

It is just not the venue’s bar that is the issue. Some folks are drunk, or high, or both before they get there.