Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14-10-2018, 20:54
Europa Gluten Free's Avatar
Europa Gluten Free Europa Gluten Free is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,002
The next album should be about the band

This idea is very much inspired by the photos that (I guess) Wire is putting up on the Instagram account this evening.

I really think that the next album should be about the band. The Manics are always so forward thinking and always looking to drive forwards - but I'd love an album of pure melody (and less JDB/Eringa sheen) that is somewhat self-reflective and self-celebratory in a modest straightforward way.

I think now really is the time for them to do it. I'd love to hear 10 songs just about the power of music or words or art or escape or keeping going. Some songs that are self-aware without being kitschy. Less melancholia when looking to the past and more magic in the memories.

Looking forward to the new songs anyhow. I'm sure we'll get them in 2019.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14-10-2018, 22:51
Routine Builder's Avatar
Routine Builder Routine Builder is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,566
Instrumentals inspired by lyrics that never see the light of the day, would be a totally Manics thing to do. I just hope they take some risks and expand their borders a bit and not worry about writing three or four singles targeted for airplay.
__________________


Stand back, I have political powers!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15-10-2018, 08:29
roi roi is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 797
Suppose they’ve occasionally written about themselves as a band to a certain extent (eg Stay Beautiful, Everything Must Go, Walk Me to the Bridge).

Yes, Wire’s folder shown on Instagram of ‘New Ideas’ suggests things are moving along
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15-10-2018, 09:40
Suicide Aldi's Avatar
Suicide Aldi Suicide Aldi is offline
Desire on its knees
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 826
Indian Summer aswell I think.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15-10-2018, 12:16
Glyn Glyn is offline
Freed from the century
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 545
Masses against the Classes is another stand out that is clearly about 'the band'. Close My Eyes too .A very introspective single all round really and themetically rather neat that you have both 'I love being in a band' and 'I hate touring arenas' right next to each other.

Off the top of my head you can also add in :
Ballad of the Bankok Novotel
You Love Us
Happy Ending
Let's go to war
Askew Road

Last edited by Glyn; 15-10-2018 at 20:33.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15-10-2018, 21:33
everlasting's Avatar
everlasting everlasting is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wakefield
Age: 36
Posts: 4,335
I am pretty optimistic we'll get a new album next year.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15-10-2018, 21:49
ohsoso ohsoso is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: sweden
Posts: 34
my dream would be - release a cover of 'lavender lane' as a single.
https://youtu.be/MF95crf8ado

and rest of the album as 'know your enemy'-songs of whatever random stuff they find interesting + an acoustic album of old decayed wire lyrics that's been laying around for far too long.

and no more re-issues.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15-10-2018, 23:44
Son of Stopped's Avatar
Son of Stopped Son of Stopped is offline
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Make a cup of tea
Age: 44
Posts: 15,031
Won't get any reissues as nothing links until 2021? JFPL or Manic Millennium, fuck them, do new stuff. What have you got in your new vaults anyway? You holding out on us? That it?
The critics would hate it (at first) but what if uncharacteristic "Fuck it, here's all we got, you compile an album out of that!" which of course no band could ever be allowed to do even if they wanted.
But yeah, new stuff and also confident album news ( from recording to releasing) by May.
I am able to wait more like got shit enough to deal with until then.
__________________
www.bridgesacrossborders.net "ORDERED WHAT CALMNESS MEANT" https://youtu.be/KGjbb_f_hn4
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16-10-2018, 14:53
tomd2103 tomd2103 is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 150
I would like to see something a bit different with their next album. I was always a bit intrigued about Wire's idea about an album based around cities and we have seen quite a few songs over the years with cities in the title (Ballad of Bangkok Novotel, Cardiff Afterlife, Liverpool Revisited, Dreaming a City (Hugheskova), Last Jet to Leave Moscow, (I Miss) the Tokyo Skyline etc.) and I have always wondered if some of those titles came from that original idea. Wire has also recently lavished praise on the Arctic Monkeys' new album so maybe we will see a concept album next!!

In terms of previous material, I would still like them to release a more comprehensive B sides collection than Lipstick Traces at some point.

Last edited by tomd2103; 16-10-2018 at 14:56.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17-10-2018, 12:42
Marconi Delorian's Avatar
Marconi Delorian Marconi Delorian is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxfordshire
Age: 36
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Stopped View Post
Won't get any reissues as nothing links until 2021? JFPL or Manic Millennium, fuck them, do new stuff. What have you got in your new vaults anyway? You holding out on us? That it?
The critics would hate it (at first) but what if uncharacteristic "Fuck it, here's all we got, you compile an album out of that!" which of course no band could ever be allowed to do even if they wanted.
But yeah, new stuff and also confident album news ( from recording to releasing) by May.
I am able to wait more like got shit enough to deal with until then.
The Kaiser Chiefs did this - released around 20 songs and said it was up to the individual to make an album from them! I'd quite like this.
__________________
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17-10-2018, 12:55
Dancing Kirby's Avatar
Dancing Kirby Dancing Kirby is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
The Kaiser Chiefs did this - released around 20 songs and said it was up to the individual to make an album from them! I'd quite like this.
It was a fun idea back in the day when everyone was trying to follow Radiohead and make the release of an album more interesting than the album itself. Except it was the Kaiser Chiefs so I couldn’t even come up with an EP that wasn’t awful.

Today it’s called a Spotify playlist and is done by every listener for every album.

Anyway, the next album should be about anything other than the band IMHO.

Quote:
I'd love to hear 10 songs just about the power of music or words or art or escape or keeping going. Some songs that are self-aware without being kitschy. Less melancholia when looking to the past and more magic in the memories.
...is basically the last album.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17-10-2018, 14:29
Marconi Delorian's Avatar
Marconi Delorian Marconi Delorian is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxfordshire
Age: 36
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
It was a fun idea back in the day when everyone was trying to follow Radiohead and make the release of an album more interesting than the album itself. Except it was the Kaiser Chiefs so I couldn’t even come up with an EP that wasn’t awful.

Today it’s called a Spotify playlist and is done by every listener for every album.

Anyway, the next album should be about anything other than the band IMHO.



...is basically the last album.
I'm pretty sure Spotify was well established when this happened - the idea was that they don't say which songs make the cut and in which order. Plus music fans have been make playlists/compilation CDs/tapes of new tracklists well before Spotify existed.
__________________
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17-10-2018, 14:45
Dancing Kirby's Avatar
Dancing Kirby Dancing Kirby is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
the idea was that they don't say which songs make the cut and in which order.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Medi...9783771&sr=8-5
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17-10-2018, 15:24
Marconi Delorian's Avatar
Marconi Delorian Marconi Delorian is offline
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oxfordshire
Age: 36
Posts: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Yes, but that came out a while after! Not sure why you're being quite so pedantic, you already know all this.
__________________
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17-10-2018, 15:55
Son of Stopped's Avatar
Son of Stopped Son of Stopped is offline
Builder of routine
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Make a cup of tea
Age: 44
Posts: 15,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
Yes, but that came out a while after! Not sure why you're being quite so pedantic, you already know all this.
Well it's made me realise it was a terrible suggestion of mine in my post! Keep posting!
__________________
www.bridgesacrossborders.net "ORDERED WHAT CALMNESS MEANT" https://youtu.be/KGjbb_f_hn4
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.