Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #826  
Old 17-04-2018, 12:24
Routine Builder's Avatar
Routine Builder Routine Builder is online now
Bored of being bored
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,635
I think it speaks to the variety of music the band has produced? Similarly I don't understand people who love every single song the band has produced and heaps hyperbolic praise on even the laziest of b-sides.

My bottom three are PFAYM, GATS and SATT. The reason is that to varying degrees these albums musical directions are guided by a cynical push for commercial success rather than an organic creative growth of band's sensibilities. Listening to it's not war is akin to ticking off a checklist of Manics clichιs required to have a top five single. The band are at their best when they're not trying to sound like what they believe people think the Manics should sound like.
__________________


Stand back, I have political powers!
Reply With Quote
  #827  
Old 17-04-2018, 15:06
Bartek Wyre's Avatar
Bartek Wyre Bartek Wyre is offline
A self-made vacuum
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kielce, Poland
Age: 33
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
After all of this, I dug PFAYM out yesterday and listened to it through.
Had the same urge today. Fortunately I fought it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I think it speaks to the variety of music the band has produced? Similarly I don't understand people who love every single song the band has produced and heaps hyperbolic praise on even the laziest of b-sides.

My bottom three are PFAYM, GATS and SATT. The reason is that to varying degrees these albums musical directions are guided by a cynical push for commercial success rather than an organic creative growth of band's sensibilities. Listening to it's not war is akin to ticking off a checklist of Manics clichιs required to have a top five single. The band are at their best when they're not trying to sound like what they believe people think the Manics should sound like.
My thoughts exactly. At least maybe the Manics will go down in musical history as one of the most sonically and stylistically inconsistent bands to ever spew out a Top 10 album or something.

Last edited by Bartek Wyre; 17-04-2018 at 15:09.
Reply With Quote
  #828  
Old 17-04-2018, 17:43
everlasting's Avatar
everlasting everlasting is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wakefield
Age: 36
Posts: 4,344
Tuesday sales.... I think by Wednesday they may have slipped to No.2 and will stay there until the final placing is announced on Friday
1 Manic Street Preachers - Resistance Is Futile (19.8k) *
2 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman (17.8k)
3 Kylie Minogue - Golden (9.0k)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #829  
Old 17-04-2018, 17:49
Marat Sar's Avatar
Marat Sar Marat Sar is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 337
Hmh hmh hmh... this is getting better now. Listening on my (very good) earphones. Better fidelity certainty does good things to this album.

Does anyone have a link to a download that is counted in their infernal chart? Sorta feel like I need to contribute.
Reply With Quote
  #830  
Old 17-04-2018, 18:11
bgdaniels bgdaniels is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Tuesday sales.... I think by Wednesday they may have slipped to No.2 and will stay there until the final placing is announced on Friday
1 Manic Street Preachers - Resistance Is Futile (19.8k) *
2 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman (17.8k)
3 Kylie Minogue - Golden (9.0k)
That's a total bummer, but it's also basically MSP in a nutshell. I'm just glad they can come out with albums that consistently reach the top 2-3 this late into their career. I will never understand the appeal of The Greatest Showman soundtrack, but it's also gone completely gangbusters here in the US as well.
Reply With Quote
  #831  
Old 17-04-2018, 18:52
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 7,988
The writing is on the wall - they need to break into Circus Rock
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • London KoKo 2006 • The Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • London Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • London O2 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush 2013 • London Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • London Wembley Arena 2018 • London Shepherds Bush 2019 (35)
Reply With Quote
  #832  
Old 17-04-2018, 19:05
theb00radley theb00radley is offline
Born to end
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 20
At first I thought In Eternity was this album's tribute to Richie, but then today it occurred to me it's actually a homage to David Bowie.

"Close the curtains in L.A. Open them up on a Berlin day"
"The king and queen of style"

Seems blindingly obvious now.
Reply With Quote
  #833  
Old 17-04-2018, 19:10
Aestivate's Avatar
Aestivate Aestivate is offline
Knowlede Is Power
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Picking up dog shit
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
So I finally figured out what's been bugging me about the left behind, it feels like a reworking of Jarvis single...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ON5qhdt1jy4
Reminds me of William's Lost Chords
__________________
Once you are real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand
Reply With Quote
  #834  
Old 17-04-2018, 19:18
UEF's Avatar
UEF UEF is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London
Posts: 7,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by theb00radley View Post
At first I thought In Eternity was this album's tribute to Richie, but then today it occurred to me it's actually a homage to David Bowie.

"Close the curtains in L.A. Open them up on a Berlin day"
"The king and queen of style"

Seems blindingly obvious now.
Not that song, but I believe The Left Behind actually is a tribute to Bowie
__________________
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • London KoKo 2006 • The Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • London Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • London Roundhouse 2009 • London Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • London Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • London O2 2011 • London Rough Trade East 2012 • London Shepherds Bush 2013 • London Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • London Rough Trade East 2014 • London Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • London Wembley Arena 2018 • London Shepherds Bush 2019 (35)
Reply With Quote
  #835  
Old 17-04-2018, 19:30
Flint's Avatar
Flint Flint is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mancunia
Age: 30
Posts: 6,635
I'm presuming there's no Japanese digital music stores that would offer the two Japan bonus tracks? Had a brief look at Amazon JP but they didn't seem to offer them.

I mean obviously buying them is going to be a pain in the arse anyway but just to get an idea.
__________________

Last edited by Flint; 17-04-2018 at 19:49.
Reply With Quote
  #836  
Old 17-04-2018, 19:54
Porco's Avatar
Porco Porco is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
Not that song, but I believe The Left Behind actually is a tribute to Bowie
In Eternity is the one about Bowie.
__________________
'Those Manics are great mun ent'it!' | Miyazaki-San, Arigato | POPCORN!


"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter!"
| Porco Tunes: soundcloud.com/fdporco | New(ish) Track *'Crashed'*[Video]
“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"
Reply With Quote
  #837  
Old 17-04-2018, 20:04
rosetree rosetree is offline
I am purity, they call me perverted
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: leeds
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by theb00radley View Post
At first I thought In Eternity was this album's tribute to Richie, but then today it occurred to me it's actually a homage to David Bowie.

"Close the curtains in L.A. Open them up on a Berlin day"
"The king and queen of style"

Seems blindingly obvious now.
I think it's obvious too. I think James sounds like David Bowie at the end of the song.

On the Radio X track by track Nicky says 'In Eternity' is a tribute to David Bowie lyrically and musically with a lot of Station to Station in the song and harmonised drums. The song relays his music is there for eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #838  
Old 17-04-2018, 22:02
everlasting's Avatar
everlasting everlasting is offline
I live to fall asleep
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wakefield
Age: 36
Posts: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by theb00radley View Post
At first I thought In Eternity was this album's tribute to Richie, but then today it occurred to me it's actually a homage to David Bowie.

"Close the curtains in L.A. Open them up on a Berlin day"
"The king and queen of style"

Seems blindingly obvious now.
I'll tell you what, I love how that song with that line pauses for a second and then goes "style", I don't know why but it's so awesome
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #839  
Old 17-04-2018, 22:30
Bambi's Avatar
Bambi Bambi is offline
Winterlover
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: beneath the waves
Age: 36
Posts: 5,690
Trying to deduce if worth buying the 2CD set - I ration my extra fivers more these days. After a quick listen online, am not hugely enamoured with either Concrete or Soundtrack, so it's whether the demos fill in the gaps of what they were aiming for, but might have airbrushed out in the finished versions. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #840  
Old 17-04-2018, 22:43
Dancing Kirby's Avatar
Dancing Kirby Dancing Kirby is offline
Doors slowly closing
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 8,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Trying to deduce if worth buying the 2CD set - I ration my extra fivers more these days. After a quick listen online, am not hugely enamoured with either Concrete or Soundtrack, so it's whether the demos fill in the gaps of what they were aiming for, but might have airbrushed out in the finished versions. Thoughts?
These demos work well as a legitimate version of the album without all the Eringa gloss.

I don’t think they’re the original demos in a lot of cases though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.