Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 18-05-2018, 22:38
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I thought International Blue sounded really off - nothing to do with the band's performance but the mixing seemed all over place. I seem to be the only one though?
You're not alone Flintybeast. I listened to the performance on TV and I did notice a bit of weirdness. It comes through way more on headphones - in fact the sound levels were all over the shop! For some reason it seems like they didn't account for the 3 guitar set up. As IB started, James was at roughly the same level of the other two because the other dude plays the lower octave on the main riff. For whatever reason when the "when you lead us to..." bit kicked in, Waynes guitar was waaaayyyyy too loud. James only got turned up to his proper level on the solo. On Design, the opposite happened. James came crashing (very satisfying) in on the chorus and he got turned down. So yeah. Mush. Hmmm.

I suppose it is a live show, and on this form we all know that certain rhythm guitar decisions can *aherm* even make a fantastic performance sound questionable. Oh lord, please someone get into the BBC vault and fix that fucking song! I'm sure the Sunday version of the Manic Street Six Piece will be properly mixed anyhwoo.

On a personal note I though the actual performances was tight. Really tight. The bit where James jumped and spun around after the middle section of Design was fucking joyous. I'd like to hear a new song too, but then I'll take a fiery Design for Life over Distant Coolwhip any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfucker View Post
And what's with the delegation of guitar duties?? They don't need to do that. Someone suggested that he's got the extra guitars so that he has to do less. I don't buy that theory. He doesn't have to do the solo on ADFL if he doesn't feel like it as the strings / synths do that - he only does it when he feels like it.
I'm not sure if there's a direct reason for it, but between 05 and 07, the 2nd guitar pretty much filled while James played as he had done until that point. Gradually (very gradually) he's let some of those parts go (eg no You Stole The Sun intro since 09.) In 2016, he played only the opening bars to the Design intro before just doing the vocal in the verse. To be fair the switchover sounded shit, so I can see why they changed that.

With other songs it's gone in a similar direction. It's not random by any stretch. James essentially plays the solos, the twiddly bits (except that one Wire wrote) and the loud bits. I'm not 50, so I don't want to judge because y'know there might be a psychical limitation there that we don't know about. I think James Dean Hetfield doesn't do much these days because he's got finger trouble hasn't he? Oooh. I said finger trouble. Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
A Manics gig lives or dies on how wellJames performs. While I'm not against a third guitarist taking the load off James, something in my core churns when I see James standing there with his guitar slumped to this side.
I do feel you on this to be fair. But that said I don't wanna whinge because I was knackered playing in a band in my 30's. If I could have done a gig via Skype I literally would have. So tiring. On that basis, who am I to take someone nearing their 50th for taking it a tad easier? Let's be honest, most of us will be in the garden center mulling our seedlings for the allotment at that age, not headlining Wembley Arena.

I made another comment somewhere about the 8 date tour and I think it applies to the performances directly as much as the touring schedules. A 90's manics gig was the musical equivalent of a gegenpress. Full power for 85 minutes with a quick breather for some acoustic tunes night after night. But to be absolutely fair, they were in their 20's and early 30's then. These days, they're more of a super sub who pops on for the last 10 to show everyone they've still got it. At that age, needs must and their energy has to be used in bursts. Personally, yes I would still love to see James shredding 24/7 - but if he doesn't fancy it and needs to take a step backwards, fair play to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
And I'm sure they weren't meaning to be disrespectful to the memory of Richey by having extra guitarists in slightly-too-advanced positions for some people's liking.
You couldn't make this up. Disrespecting Richey because of a stage position? Yeah in 1996 or something - fair enough (although even Naysmithe got it in the neck for daring to be tucked away in corner at various points.) But practically speaking for a second, 3x guitarists = 3x amp stacks + Naysmithe's massive keyboards = stage chaos.

But seriously it's like when you have kids. You realise you're not the star of the show anymore and you're happy to share the fruit of your loins with others. That, it seems, is where MSP are today. They're happy to share their stage to allow them to continue to perform and to enjoy their graft over the years with others.
Old 18-05-2018, 22:44
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkanddivine View Post
You're not alone Flintybeast. I listened to the performance on TV and I did notice a bit of weirdness. It comes through way more on headphones - in fact the sound levels were all over the shop! For some reason it seems like they didn't account for the 3 guitar set up. As IB started, James was at roughly the same level of the other two because the other dude plays the lower octave on the main riff. For whatever reason when the "when you lead us to..." bit kicked in, Waynes guitar was waaaayyyyy too loud. James only got turned up to his proper level on the solo. On Design, the opposite happened. James came crashing (very satisfying) in on the chorus and he got turned down. So yeah. Mush. Hmmm.

I suppose it is a live show, and on this form we all know that certain rhythm guitar decisions can *aherm* even make a fantastic performance sound questionable. Oh lord, please someone get into the BBC vault and fix that fucking song! I'm sure the Sunday version of the Manic Street Six Piece will be properly mixed anyhwoo.

On a personal note I though the actual performances was tight. Really tight. The bit where James jumped and spun around after the middle section of Design was fucking joyous. I'd like to hear a new song too, but then I'll take a fiery Design for Life over Distant Coolwhip any day of the week.

I'm not sure if there's a direct reason for it, but between 05 and 07, the 2nd guitar pretty much filled while James played as he had done until that point. Gradually (very gradually) he's let some of those parts go (eg no You Stole The Sun intro since 09.) In 2016, he played only the opening bars to the Design intro before just doing the vocal in the verse. To be fair the switchover sounded shit, so I can see why they changed that.

With other songs it's gone in a similar direction. It's not random by any stretch. James essentially plays the solos, the twiddly bits (except that one Wire wrote) and the loud bits. I'm not 50, so I don't want to judge because y'know there might be a psychical limitation there that we don't know about. I think James Dean Hetfield doesn't do much these days because he's got finger trouble hasn't he? Oooh. I said finger trouble. Oops!

I do feel you on this to be fair. But that said I don't wanna whinge because I was knackered playing in a band in my 30's. If I could have done a gig via Skype I literally would have. So tiring. On that basis, who am I to take someone nearing their 50th for taking it a tad easier? Let's be honest, most of us will be in the garden center mulling our seedlings for the allotment at that age, not headlining Wembley Arena.

I made another comment somewhere about the 8 date tour and I think it applies to the performances directly as much as the touring schedules. A 90's manics gig was the musical equivalent of a gegenpress. Full power for 85 minutes with a quick breather for some acoustic tunes night after night. But to be absolutely fair, they were in their 20's and early 30's then. These days, they're more of a super sub who pops on for the last 10 to show everyone they've still got it. At that age, needs must and their energy has to be used in bursts. Personally, yes I would still love to see James shredding 24/7 - but if he doesn't fancy it and needs to take a step backwards, fair play to him.

You couldn't make this up. Disrespecting Richey because of a stage position? Yeah in 1996 or something - fair enough (although even Naysmithe got it in the neck for daring to be tucked away in corner at various points.) But practically speaking for a second, 3x guitarists = 3x amp stacks + Naysmithe's massive keyboards = stage chaos.

But seriously it's like when you have kids. You realise you're not the star of the show anymore and you're happy to share the fruit of your loins with others. That, it seems, is where MSP are today. They're happy to share their stage to allow them to continue to perform and to enjoy their graft over the years with others.
And that ladies and gents covers everything

Onto the next topic ....
Old 18-05-2018, 23:54
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 19-05-2018, 02:03
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post

My cheeks are turning yellow... [...] There must be someone to blame

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 20-05-2018, 09:27
I am purity, they call me perverted

Honestly I don't know where to start, they got to where they are for doing exactly what they want and long may it continue

o2 Academy, Newcastle 15th May 2007
Manchester Central, Manchester 5th December 2007
o2 Academy, Newcastle 27th September 2010
Carlisle Sands, Carlisle 2nd November 2010
o2 Arena, London 17th December 2011
First Direct Arena, Leeds 28th March 2014
The Corn Exchange, Edinburgh 3rd April 2014
The Barrowlands, Glasgow 8th December 2014
Cardiff Castle, Cardiff 5th June 2015
First Direct Arena, Leeds 20th May 2016
Newcastle Arena, Newcastle 23rd April 2018
Barbican, York 27th May 2019
City Hall, Newcastle 26th September 2021

@cav81
www.scottmichaelcavagan.co.uk
www.facebook.com/scottmichaelcavagan
www.soundcloud.com/visionsofmadness
Old 20-05-2018, 10:04
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
And that ladies and gents covers everything

Onto the next topic ....
Repeat on TV
On fucking Sunday
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 20-05-2018, 10:11
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Imagine if they did play Repeat on Jools this week...

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 20-05-2018, 15:03
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Repeat on TV
On fucking Sunday
Top of the pops got cancelled when they moved it to a Sunday .............

Also.. I don't mind the royal family..... Meghan had a nice frock on ..

Edit 2: After the delight of Nicky singing no feelings... God save the queen could be an option. In a skirt again of course

Last edited by hummingbird; 20-05-2018 at 15:27.
Old 20-05-2018, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
It has been getting a bit intense. No wonder they look pensive on the telly
James was perfectly charming in the interview. Who wants a slick perfect performance? You'd never achieve it cos no one would agree....rather have rough around the edges ... And pink boots
It definitely seems more intense, perhaps it's the new album and James might not like the show much. I always think he's charming in interviews and really modest about how good he is and their performance always looks good on tv. I also think Wayne isn't being disrespectful to Richey. I think he's quite different and he and Gavin seem to work well with the band.
Old 20-05-2018, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Top of the pops got cancelled when they moved it to a Sunday .............

Also.. I don't mind the royal family..... Meghan had a nice frock on ..

Edit 2: After the delight of Nicky singing no feelings... God save the queen could be an option. In a skirt again of course
I completely agree. I also loved watching the wedding on tv it was fabulous to see and with all the celebrations
Old 20-05-2018, 22:54
Doors slowly closing

Typical, a new album out and they finish by covering a bit from a 44-year old song...!

Enjoyed Later... a lot. Nice outdoors interview too.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 20-05-2018, 23:06
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Typical, a new album out and they finish by covering a bit from a 44-year old song...!

Ah shit, forgot it was on! It'll be up on YouTube soon enough. Teach me to wash hair and then spend half an hour with an electric razor then bit of remaining hair disposable razor unlubricated cutting.
Worth it though.
Old 21-05-2018, 00:42

Quote:

Really enjoyed Distant Colours on the tour date I went to, but thought it seemed a bit flat on Jools.
Old 21-05-2018, 06:59
Doors slowly closing

What was played?
V2002 • Move 2003 • V2006 • KoKo 2006 • Culture Show 2007 • Album Chart Show 2007 • XFM 2007 • V2007 • Glastonbury 2007 • Astoria 2007 • London Brixton 2007 • NME Awards 2008 • NME Big Gig 2008 • Forever Heavenly 2008 • Roundhouse 2009 • Forum 2009 • Concert for Care 2009 • XFM Winter Wonderland 2010 • Brixton Academy 2011 • Blackwood Miners Institute 2011 • Roundhouse 2011 • O2 2011 • Rough Trade East 2012 • Shepherds Bush 2013 • Brixton 2014 • Glastonbury 2014 • Rough Trade East 2014 • Acoustic Guitar Show 2014 • London Roundhouse 2014 • Cardiff Castle 2015 • London On Blackheath 2015 • London Royal Albert Hall 2016 • Swansea Liberty Stadium 2016 • Wembley Arena 2018 • Shepherds Bush 2019 • Kingston Pryzm 2021 x2 • Wembley Arena 2021 • Glastonbury 2023 • Alexandra Palace 2024 (40)
Old 21-05-2018, 12:14
I live to fall asleep

DC and LR. Nothing terribly exciting. But I noticed they fixed the levels of Tuesday's live International Blue. All worth a listen.