Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 01:43
Freed from the century

Which album do you reckon the Manics HATE the most?

I would assume prime choices to be:
  • Gold Against the Soul
  • Know Your Enemey
  • Lifeblood

Some might say Holy Bible. I think they were disillusioned with how expansive This is my Truth became; ain't heard them praise it too much in the last half a decade. James compared that album and Know Your Enemy as salad and burger n' chips.

I'd say Lifeblood's probably their most despised as they rarely play songs from it whereas Ocean Spray's often played and GATS songs get an airing too. Their issue with Know Your Enemy might come from the response it received as they'd put a lot of work into Nicky especially lyric wise putting all of his views on American foreign policy only to be shat on by the press. Lifeblood just seems like it's all around hatred, even when they play one or two of the songs live it's not with the full gumption you'd expect.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:27
Bored of being bored

Nicky's quite a fan of Gold Against The Soul, isn't he? I think it's just James who doesn't like it, although even then I think he stills likes some of the songs - he's never had much problems with playing LTD, FDTW and RITH live. I think he plays Sleepflower grudgingly at Nicky's behest, going by how he can't seem to be bothered playing the solo properly these days. He absolutely rips his guitar to shreds on Roses, though.

I'm not sure they actually hate Lifeblood, I think they're just disappointed with the way it seemed to be monumentally rejected by everyone, even though a lot of the hardcore fans really like it. After tonight's Empty Souls, and having rewatched that Jools Holland performance recently, I have to admit, I'm coming to the conclusion that they really aren't good live songs after all. Great album, but with the exception of 1985, none of them really have the potential to get a crowd going, which I think is why Nicky calls it "cold". It's a shame - several of the tracks could be rearranged a wee bit to make them work better at gigs.

Hmmm, I dunno. I think the easiest answer to this is the same as it always is at any particular time: the last album before the current one.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 01-10-2010, 02:34
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieslowski View Post
I'm not sure they actually hate Lifeblood, I think they're just disappointed with the way it seemed to be monumentally rejected by everyone, even though a lot of the hardcore fans really like it.

I have to say I think you are completely wrong on this. They apparently had a rough time with Visconti and were constantly changing songs around. The whole bad experience of making the album was then compounded with Sony demanding and veto'ing the first single. Look at the TOTP performance - none of them are interested, Sean fucks his drums on the floor. James said at the time he wasn't really interested in playing guitar and wasn't listening to music.

The point you just made about the reaction to the album was what I was talking about with Know Your Enemy but with Lifeblood they knew the writing was on the wall even before the album came out. Nicky spoke in subsequent years about how Know Your Enemy was his great big political album and noone gave a shite.

Lifeblood damn near broke the band up. In 2007 Nicky said something to the effect of "I don't think people realise just how close we came to splitting up after Lifeblood".
Old 01-10-2010, 02:38
Freed from the century

It's definitely not Know Your Enemy or Lifeblood. In 2007 during No Manifesto interviews, Nicky said that the Manics album he listened to the most was Know Your Enemy. About Lifeblood, he said that the band is very proud of the album and were only disappointed that it didn't connect with people. It was also mentioned by Sean that the songs from Lifeblood aren't enjoyable to play live because it's so difficult to get them to sound right live, and that's why they don't play them very often.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:46
Bored of being bored

I certainly could be wrong I just got the impression from how they'd talked about it sometimes that it was more disappointment than hatred, and that the disinterest in playing them live was because they just knew they weren't working in a live setting. I thought James was going to say "yeah, that was a bit shit, wasn't it?" after Empty Souls tonight, but whatever it was that he said, it seemed more like resignation than "urgh! Thank fuck that one's over."

But if they really did come so close to breaking up after it, then yeah, I can imagine them actually hating the album as a result.
"A man who had read all the books published today would have had to have read all Dan Brown's novels, two volumes of Chris Moyles autobiography, The World According To Clarkson by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 2 by Jeremy Clarkson, The World According To Clarkson 3 by Jeremy Clarkson... His mind would be awash with bad metaphors, unsustainable reactionary opinion, and one long anecdote about the time Comedy Dave put pound coins in the urinal.

In short, the man who had read everything published today, would be more stupid than a man who had read nothing."

- Stewart Lee
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
It's definitely not Know Your Enemy or Lifeblood. In 2007 during No Manifesto interviews, Nicky said that the Manics album he listened to the most was Know Your Enemy. About Lifeblood, he said that the band is very proud of the album and were only disappointed that it didn't connect with people. It was also mentioned by Sean that the songs from Lifeblood aren't enjoyable to play live because it's so difficult to get them to sound right live, and that's why they don't play them very often.
Did he say if they've tried radically rearranging the songs? Nine Inch Nails springs to mind as a band that sometimes plays very different live versions of songs to their studio versions. I thought Empty Souls and Solitude Sometimes Is actually worked quite well the way they played them at the Isle Of Wight festival in 2004.

- Stewart Lee
Old 01-10-2010, 02:57
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Thanks for that. Always interesting to get some info from the horse's mouth.

I'm not surprised about what Sean meant with the playing them live thing. A lot of the songs have loadsa samples and just little bits here and there. There's very few that could be played just drum/bass/guitar.

A rejigging a la Nine Inch Nails would be brilliant!
Old 01-10-2010, 03:01
Footprint of history

Empty Souls sounded amazing at IoW 04. There is no reason why they couldn't play that song live like that. I didn't know they played Solitude Sometimes Is though. Everything Will Be sounded great too.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:11
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Empty Souls sounded amazing at IoW 04. There is no reason why they couldn't play that song live like that. I didn't know they played Solitude Sometimes Is though. Everything Will Be sounded great too.
Yeah, I used to have MP3s of both tracks, with a couple of girls clearly having worked out what the chorus for SSI was pretty quickly.

I thought Everything Will Be sounded terrible at Glastonbury 2003, but I absolutely love the recorded version. They should do more reggae-tinged stuff!

- Stewart Lee
Old 01-10-2010, 03:49
Freed from the century

Quote:
They should do more reggae-tinged stuff!

But they won't. Unfortunately all of our suggestions fall on deaf ears/blind eyes. They shall carry on doing the safe Everything Must Go kinda stuff for a while. Each time they try branching out and exploring it seems to blow up. Searching for the third version as James caled it.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Id imagine they hate Generation Terrorists most. Its not a very good recording and they hardly ever play these excellent songs live:
- Loves Sweet Exile
- Methadone Pretty
- Damn Dog
- So Dead
- Born To End
- Condemned to RnR
- Crucifix Kiss
- Stay Beautiful
- Repeat
- Four "Building Societies"

in fact if it wasnt for You Love Us and Motorbike Without Fuel they would probably neglect this album...

I Love it.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:11
Bored out of my mind

I gather James thinks GT is hilarious these days. Don't understand what he was waffling on about Lifeblood being a 'third version of themselves' in Guitarist mag interview. Flippin' 'eck man! Just play the blimmin' songs WILL YA!!!!!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:07
Doors slowly closing

i suspect it might actually be THB, if they were asked to consider it. it's become a bit of a noose around their neck, for everything done since has, to varying degrees, been compared against it.

from the live shows i've heard, they don't sound all that enthusiastic about playing the stuff of TIMTTMY, bar Tolerate, but that could just be the way i am hearing it.
blog
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59
Winterlover

Quote:
Yeah, I used to have MP3s of both tracks, with a couple of girls clearly having worked out what the chorus for SSI was pretty quickly.
They were annoying although I seem to recall they were from this forum and I might know them, so apologies

I did have the mp3 of SSI though but it's on my old HD. Both ES and SSI sounded way way way better at IOW than they did after they were released on record and then played live.
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulstermanic View Post
Id imagine they hate Generation Terrorists most. Its not a very good recording and they hardly ever play these excellent songs live:
- Loves Sweet Exile
- Methadone Pretty
- Damn Dog
- So Dead
- Born To End
- Condemned to RnR
- Crucifix Kiss
- Stay Beautiful
- Repeat
- Four "Building Societies"

in fact if it wasnt for You Love Us and Motorbike Without Fuel they would probably neglect this album...

I Love it.
Well, they played Born To End on pretty much every date of the SATT tour so we had that one then and obviously on this tour we've had an acoustic version of Stay Beautiful (which was also included mid-way through the first SATT tour starting at one of the London dates I seem to recall).
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ