Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 26-09-2014, 17:48
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
It's a real shame they've put THB (which has already been toured extensively, twice) before Futurology, and i don't think anybody considers their last tour a proper 'Futurology' tour. On the UK leg they performed two songs mostly, with only London getting three. As good as it was, the March/April tour shouldn't have happened. It was completely pointless with nothing to promote, but i guess if it was booked what can you do.
You're probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takk View Post
Still, a lot of gigs for them. Given how little they played from it, I'm not so sure about how proud they are of it in terms of being keen to play it live.
James did say the reason they didn't play more new songs was to avoid *some fucker putting it on the internet* I've heard this from other bands reluctant to play new songs but I don't get it. They'd only be live versions so I can't see it hurting album sales. Would people really be happy ripping some hollow sounding version off youtube and not bother with the real thing?

Edit: or was it dickbag instead of fucker? Some expletive anyway….
Old 27-09-2014, 10:32
Freed from the century

I think the dickbag comment refered to playing songs from Futurology before the album had been released. Given how different some of those songs could sound live, I don't blame them for not wanting shoddy, phone-footage videos circulating. Doesn't explain the lack of a tour after the release of the album. Aside from the rough trade gig, they've only played four Futurology songs live (Europa, WMTTB, LGTW, Futurology). As far as I can remember, ever other recent album had at least six songs from it played live.
Old 27-09-2014, 11:20
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallafield View Post
I think the dickbag comment refered to playing songs from Futurology before the album had been released. Given how different some of those songs could sound live, I don't blame them for not wanting shoddy, phone-footage videos circulating. Doesn't explain the lack of a tour after the release of the album. Aside from the rough trade gig, they've only played four Futurology songs live (Europa, WMTTB, LGTW, Futurology). As far as I can remember, ever other recent album had at least six songs from it played live.
I know it was referring to playing songs not heard before but if they played 3 they could play more. We could have been put off by the three they played. Though your reason could be why we didn't hear walk me to the bridge before it was released

They didn't play many songs on the postcards tour.. 3 or 4 ?
Old 27-09-2014, 11:24
Administrator

I think maybe they are bored with it - they wrote most of it at the same time as RTF, didn't they? They've been playing a lot in the last two years, I think it was inevitable futurology was never going to get the normal album treatment because of it.
Old 27-09-2014, 13:03
Freed from the century

I'm sure it was more for PFAYM. INW, PFAYM, Hazelton Avenue, the descent, SKON, billion balconies, golden platitudes, TFHBHF were all played at least once. That's nine out of the 12 tracks on the album. Seems a shame that we won't get to hear SPLAM or Misguided Missile live any time soon.
Old 27-09-2014, 17:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

Wanted proper tour of album too, shame.....

holy bible tour = £real
Old 27-09-2014, 18:45
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanestgreenmeme View Post
Wanted proper tour of album too, shame.....

holy bible tour = £real
Really? Do you think they're just doing this for the money? If so, why are they playing smaller venues then they did in March/April?
Old 28-09-2014, 21:10
Administrator

I think futurology will be viewed similar to Lifeblood in the long run.
Old 29-09-2014, 05:22
I live to fall asleep

Has any other album not been toured properly though?? Considering it's the main way to make money for a band it all seems really strange. They say they're proud of it, very well received, great no 2 chart placing a different sound yet no Futurology tour.
Old 29-09-2014, 15:49
Doors slowly closing

6 of the songs have been played live already. The instrumentals were never in a million years going to get full live outings, so that's really only 4 songs that could have been played that haven't been. Seems pretty standard.

They're about to play Mausoleum and we're bemoaning not being able to hear Misguided Missile (I can't even remember how that goes)!
Old 29-09-2014, 15:53
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
They're about to play Mausoleum and we're bemoaning not being able to hear Misguided Missile (I can't even remember how that goes)!
BiDDle-ey Bop.
BiDDley Bo.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 29-09-2014, 16:07
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathtub View Post
No complaints from me at all. I like Futurology, I enjoyed the tour, I would like to hear some more off it live in the future. But The Holy Bible left an indelible mark on me even before I had my first pint, I've been wanting to hear it live in full for more than half my life.

Also, I love Misguided Missile.
Old 30-09-2014, 06:20
Freed from the century

They'll maybe tour it on its 20th anniversary in 2034..
Old 30-09-2014, 11:31

Seems that Futurology will be the only album that doesn't get toured properly which is a shame given its very positive critical reception.

As they only do singles from recent albums, looks like the only tracks we'll get in the future are Bridge and the title track.
Old 30-09-2014, 17:58

Nicky was talking about the 2nd set of THB tour could be Bsides/rares and also Futurology tracks (who knows, maybe ones they havn't played live yet)