Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 25-10-2018, 13:26
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
I take your point about the flow of a gig, but we spent how many years wining about setlists on here? Songs that we were sick of a few years ago are largely out and instead they’re saying ‘ok, you can have everything then - even horses under fucking starlight gets an airing, there you go!’. And still FD isn’t happy?

We wanted rarities and deep cuts? That’s what we’ve been getting over the last few years. I think the move down to smaller places is an admission that this might not be one the casual fans will be all over, and that it would fall flat in an arena. But some of these places are almost club gigs.
I was pretty happy with the setlist on the RIF tour to be honest (went to the Birmingham gig) and it was good to hear some songs they don't normally play. There are certainly some songs off TIMT that I would like to hear live again (Not Ready For Drowning, My Little Empire and Black Dog on My Shoulder being three examples) and it would be good to hear Prologue to History live.

It's just that I have always felt that the second half of the album does drag a bit and I'm not sure how it will play out live.
Old 25-10-2018, 13:26
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
You're not wrong - but my image of the Manics of this decade is them playing Motorcycle Emptiness and You Stole the Sun on repeat with James in a suit that's too big for him pointing the guitar at the audience because low and behold there's another new guitarist on stage behind him.

If there was some suggestion they might be some different tracks in the second part them I'd be tempted but I don't know. There are only so many times to hear ME, International Blue, YLU, MJ, Your Love Alone, EMG etc etc, especially when James plays less and less guitar on them.

Totally agree on the James not playing the guitar anymore argument, but genuine question - will there not be enough tracks you haven’t seen before in the first half? Even on the THB and EMG tours there were still some additional rarities in part 2.
Old 25-10-2018, 16:05
Bored of being bored

According to the e-mail I got from ticketmaster, tickets go on sale tomorrow at nine, except the York date which goes on sale at ten.

Is there a reason for this except to make me have to organise my working day around being at my desk for two different times?
Old 25-10-2018, 16:12
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Delorian View Post
If they put a bit of thought in to this, they could really make it special - not just 'Full album, interval, hits' - build a setlist around the album, sequence it with other songs that complement the album, add a couple of the b-sides and order it accordingly - kick off with Prologue, end with Tolerate. Born a Girl goes in the solo spot, that kind of thing. Or end with all 3 songs from the Masses single. So many ways to shake it up, please at least consider this!
Garbage did this with their 20th tours for Garbage and Version 2.0. And to be fair, both albums would probably work in tracklist order. I fully expected album then hits but they went into the deep cuts from the era, the B-sides, the one offs, the lot (and the screens had some ace old footage on there as well.) Really worked well.
Old 25-10-2018, 17:20
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd2103 View Post
I was pretty happy with the setlist on the RIF tour to be honest (went to the Birmingham gig) and it was good to hear some songs they don't normally play. There are certainly some songs off TIMT that I would like to hear live again (Not Ready For Drowning, My Little Empire and Black Dog on My Shoulder being three examples) and it would be good to hear Prologue to History live.

It's just that I have always felt that the second half of the album does drag a bit and I'm not sure how it will play out live.
Yea, I agree it might be a bit of a lull. I just want to hear some different songs, and after years of complaining about the same GH set they’re really delivering so I’m thrilled.
Old 25-10-2018, 17:44
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Not sure why people are complaining about the base ticket prices? Manics tickets have been between £40 and £55 since I could remember. The other surcharges are industry wide sadly.

I recently booked tickets for a charity gig. Somehow Gigsandtours saw fit to charge over £17 worth of surcharges for it. But that's the UK, cartels and monopolies is what we love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
The NT night in December 2011 was £38

If I'm right THB Tour in 2014 was a bit less

Booking Fees have risen on purpose when the law changed in January this year in terms of all the fees so what they are all doing is charging it within the BF which is a joke, I don't need to book something I'm already going to!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
Surely this is a pretty standard price? When we’re tickets for a band of this size in those venues any cheaper?
If there was a standard set list from the last tour which contained the usual but also born a girl and be natural, we’d all be going apeshit. It’s not about the singles or whatever they play after, it’s to see those songs which may never be played again. In thrilled for all this.
Hmm Manics gig prices have gone up over the last few years; not by crazy amounts (I'm sure Sean replied to someone on Twitter around the time the RIF tour was announced saying they do try to keep the prices as low as possible), but they are more now than about 4-5 years ago. I've just dug my ticket stub out from the last time they played Manchester Ritz in 2013 and the face value was £29.50 + booking fees. THB20 tour was mostly £32.50 + booking fees (Cardiff Castle was £37.50, but obviously that was a big outdoor gig, so you expect to pay a bit more for an event like that). They've gradually crept up with every tour and booking fees seem worse now more than they've ever been for companies like Ticketmaster and See.

Live entertainment in general has gone a bit crazy recently. No, the Manics are nowhere near the worst offenders, but the cost of everything is more than a few years ago (I don't know about anyone else, but my supermarket and utility bills are a damn sight more now than even two years ago yet my wage hasn't gone up in line with inflation). I can see why someone might be put off getting tickets for anything these days, especially if you've got to factor in travel/accommodation costs as well. It all adds up.
Old 25-10-2018, 19:04
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow View Post
Steep Price for the gigs, considering we know the rest of the set will be just singles but I hope they throw in PTH
Of course they will, it’s track 12 on the album #fakenews

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 25-10-2018, 20:13
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

If they don't play Prologue I'm going to have a right old hissy fit. I've been waiting 16 years for them to play it again. It sounds so good when you can't hear Naysmth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBKd1V0MhjU

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 25-10-2018, 20:24
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
If they don't play Prologue I'm going to have a right old hissy fit. I've been waiting 16 years for them to play it again. It sounds so good when you can't hear Naysmth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wBKd1V0MhjU
That is so good! I was a poor student at this period and missed the Lipstick Traces tour, such an error on my part.

Now I'm down the HMV gig wormhole. James' voice still had the 'bite' to it then - doubt he'll sing Prologue like this next year :\
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.

Last edited by Marconi Delorian; 25-10-2018 at 20:31.
Old 26-10-2018, 07:21
Builder of routine

I know it's still early but neither ticketmaster, gigsandtours or see tickets websites will load. Keep getting *failed to open page*
Old 26-10-2018, 08:05
An imitation of dignity

Was able to get my 3rd Dublin standing ticket quite easily this morn though had to open a new browser tab, the original tab still has a spinning circle instead of a button to buy tickets.
Old 26-10-2018, 08:10
Doors slowly closing

If you look at the inner sleeve of the vinyl in the email they just sent out, it shows Nobody Loved You before Prologue to History.
Old 26-10-2018, 08:10
Bored of being bored

Just go to the direct websites - Bath forum has tickets for £43 with fees, De Montford also has its own.

Currently doing London night 1 and Leicester - may do Bath but I'll wait 'til nearer the time to decide.
We are still waiting on this section, it's gonna be badass. But while you wait perhaps you would care to peruse the lyrics for 'Underdogs' and 'Your Love Is Not Enough', from the album 'Send Away The Tigers'.
Old 26-10-2018, 08:16
Builder of routine

Well that was fun .. no wifi so mobile internet but i got a ticket for saturday london and york
Old 26-10-2018, 08:30
Freed from the century

Ticketmaster decided to be a mess again, but I finally managed to get a ticket for London. See you there + Cambridge & Bath!