Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 22-11-2012, 10:14
I live to fall asleep

After a week of silence (and three days after my replacement turned up) I NOW got an email and confirmation that may replacement will arrive by the 27th. It would be ironic indeed if I ended up with two boxes for my pains - Lee/Starstruck, interested in my spare if this turns out to be true?

Livet är kort, för kort för att slösas bort
Lämna hatet åt gamanar

Old 22-11-2012, 12:40
Builder of routine

Having finaly looked into this as money has been an issue, I feel somewhat jipped that the never heard songs were only on the £45 3CD set and not the more affordable shop version with 2CDs. My days of caring about demos and stuff are a little behind me, but I was very excited to get my hands on Poleaxed, Colt 45 & Spent all Summer. Though it's nice to hear demos, I can't help but feel the more interesting stuff is the never heard songs. Will there be another run of these or is that it? SOLD OUT.

These unaffordable box sets are getting a little out of hand.
Old 22-11-2012, 16:03
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
well, my refund is in my account. owing to the vagaries of the exchange rate system, i seem to have profited by a pound on the whole deal. would have rather had the set, but such is life.

will order the 2CD, 1DVD set from someone that ships such things properly.
I'm sorry to hear your set didn't arrive. Sorry starstruck!
Manchester Nynex-May97; Manchester M.E.N-Dec98; Glastonbury-Jun99; Manic Millennium-Cardiff -99/2000; Manchester Apollo-Mar27 01; Manchester Apollo-Mar28 01; LLandudno Conf Ctr-Aug 01; Leeds Fest-Aug01; V2002 Staffs-Aug02; Manchester Move Fest-Jul03; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May09; Seattle Neumo's-Sept09; Vancouver Commodore-Sept09; New York Webster Hall-Oct09; Boston Paradise-Oct09; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May11; London O2 Arena-Dec11; London Brixton Academy-Apr11th 14; London Brixton Academy-Apr12th 14; Dublin Olympia-Dec14; New York Webster Hall-Apr15; Boston Sinclair-Apr15; Chicago Metro-Apr15; Los Angeles Fonda-May15; Liverpool Echo-May16; Birmingham Genting-May16; Llangollen Llanfest - July17; Birmingham Arena-April18; Manchester Arena-April18; Llandudno Venue Cymru-May18
Old 23-11-2012, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I really hope we get something like this for each album, even if some of them might not be as 'important' to the band or to the public - they're great little archives of Manics history.
I totally agree. The Holy Bible tenth anniversary edition gave us the amazing US mix of that album - although I know that was somewhat readily available anyway - and that's now definitely my favourite way to listen to that record and the GT one has given us these fantastic demos, which is almost certainly my definitive way to listen to GT now.

I want them all re-released like this now!
Old 23-11-2012, 20:28
Bored of being bored

Just listening to the US mix of Generation Terrorists and I think the remixes are a mile better. Shame they couldn't have remixed the whole album for the re-release. Gotta admit I haven't listened to the demos since I bought the box set. However I have dug out all the Generation Terrorist era singles and they've bought back loads of memories. Life was a lot simpler without money and responsibilities. Thought I knew everything back then, turned out I didn't. Naivity has a certain comfort
Old 28-11-2012, 12:09
An imitation of dignity

Exclamation for manicben

The problem is not of the boxed sets "per se", but the escalation of numbers of editions for any new release.
Nobody had a problem with The Holy Bible reissue, for instance.
More editions means more sales (but how many? 3,000 or less in the GT case?).

Consider, also, that sometimes market choices are really stupid.
London Calling by The Clash had a great edition with two CDs and one DVD and then the second CD (that of demos) was not part of the subsequent edition!

Besides, certain demos not on the 3rd CD of GT box sound not so bad also on bootleg CDs some of us own (and which I believe now are a rarity in themselves): Turning Rebellion Into Money and Tortured Genius.

Cheers

S. at http://steg-speakerscorner.blogspot.com/

Last edited by stegmastino; 28-11-2012 at 14:14. Reason: I forgot something
Old 29-11-2012, 11:32
Knowlede Is Power

Got my "2 CD/1 DVD" version of GT yesterday, and I must admit it's the
best packaging the Manics have ever released. It's all pretty beautiful.
But I don't care for the Patrick Jones videos of "Repeat" and "NatWest..."
(and that's coming from someone who loved the LB videos he did).

1999 Roskilde Festival (Denmark) ... 2001 Hultsfredsfestivalen (Sweden)
2002 Vega, Copenhagen (Denmark) ... 2003 Midtfyn Festival (Denmark)
2007 Hultsfredsfestivalen (Sweden) ... 2009 Avalon, Los Angeles, CA (U.S.A.)
2014 Vega, Copenhagen (Denmark)

Old 29-11-2012, 16:49
Doors slowly closing

The two that stand out are.
- natwest,
- born to end.

The others are great, but those two are on another spectrum.
Old 29-11-2012, 21:42

No matter what they bring our we'll all lap it up. Or not bother at the time, then spend a stupid amount on ebay buying it anyway.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:57
I live to fall asleep

Dear Patrick Jones,
STOP IT - YOU'RE WELL SHIT AT VIDEOS.
Signed,
Everyone

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 03-12-2012, 19:10

Picked up my copy on Saturday from my local independent record store (closing in March and there by ending a 20 year relationship) I'm impressed by the release. The demos are much better than I was expecting. I do like it how it takes the band back to the basics. I much prefer James' vocals. There's no yelping out words. The demos let me hear what the band must have sounded like at the beginning of their career. "Spectators of Suicide" is my personal favourite, although I've always liked that song.

The DVD especially the making of GT is good. I find it amusing that no one remembers that the band wrote to Sarah Records looking for a record deal. Sarah Records forever being tagged as the most twee record label there was. Listening to the roll call of all those bands that were around when GT was released and now are no more. Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Flowered Up... Thought the comments near the end about Richey's look on GTS make it clear that there will never a be an anniversary release of GTS.

Nabokov on Don Quixote

Last edited by Librarian On Fire; 04-12-2012 at 19:00.
Old 03-12-2012, 19:15
Builder of routine

he wasn't very well during the holy bible and they still released that again. They'll probably change their minds..they said they weren't going to bother with GT not too long ago.
Old 04-12-2012, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
he wasn't very well during the holy bible and they still released that again. They'll probably change their minds..they said they weren't going to bother with GT not too long ago.
More than likely in the distant future we'll see a cd released with unrelased b-sides, demos, radio sessions. This would be at the absloute end of their career. A release to appease record labels and to give the fans something.

More than likely a re-release of This Is My Truth... would happen, but not for awhile. Considering band weren't playing UK dates for two years the band have kept up a reasonable profile in the media.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52
Freed from the century

had a quick look through the thread...sorry for asking this if it has been discussed:

how is the remastering on this release? brickwalled? or is it decent? how does the sound compare to the 2CD Japanese edition that came out around the time of JFPL?

Thanks to anyone who can offer an opinion.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54
A self-made vacuum

Location: In a leather bound book of the worlds greatest secrets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
had a quick look through the thread...sorry for asking this if it has been discussed:

how is the remastering on this release? brickwalled? or is it decent? how does the sound compare to the 2CD Japanese edition that came out around the time of JFPL?

Thanks to anyone who can offer an opinion.
It's very, very, very, very loud. Almost unbearable on a home system at a relatively low volume.