Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 30-11-2009, 15:00
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lament View Post
I vaguely remember an interview where Nicky made a remark about British music flourishing in 1997 and specifically mentioning Urban Hymns and OK Computer...Q Magazine maybe? I don't know, surely someone else remembers the comment or has the article, right?

Ho Ho how weird is that, just as I was writing the same thing.

Oh and it's definately James who says that,I remember it well because the interviewer mentions that James looks like a scruffy builder because of a beard he'd grown.

'I've kissed mermaids and rode the El Nino'

"Basically," says Nick, "the song Little Baby Nothing is about women's oppression, so we start with a little girl getting her head jumped on by a horrible old man and end with a woman committing suicide by shooting herself between the legs, having gained her revenge in the meantime by killing all the men." Steven Wells RIP
Old 30-11-2009, 15:03
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
Nicholas be a good boy and shut the fuck up..thank you kindly
Hahahaha! Tremendous.

I'm the best in the World, if not the entire Universe.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29
An imitation of dignity

i read somewhere that thom yorke talked about the stories he heard in the music industry about richey in 1994. stuff like there were rumours going around that richey asked people to cut up his mars bars, and people telling him to "cut his own mars bars up." what a wanker
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deets View Post
thanks everybody!

haha the situation with Ed reminds me somehow the situation with Nicky slagging Hard Fi Richard Archer at NME Awards issue where they got GGA, they got the question from Richard when they were planning to retire and Nicky was charming as usual. unfortunatelly he didn't read this article before
I'm glad Nicky didn't see it. He indulges in far too much mutual back-slapping these days and we have to put up with him pretending to like Razorlight and The Enemy. Do Hard-Fi even like themselves nowadays?

Anyhoo, being liked by Radiohead isn't a big deal. Ed thinks Kings Of Leon are the best band of the moment. Nicky should have called him a cunt for that alone.
Old 01-12-2009, 16:25
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Ed thinks Kings Of Leon are the best band of the moment. Nicky should have called him a cunt for that alone.
If Ed compared KOL's reading set to his he'd have said that Radiohead were the best band around at the moment.

I think Hard-Fi died by the way.
Old 01-12-2009, 18:18
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
I've never seen any referrence Richey may have made about the band. I think it stands to reason that he knew of them as they did start to get a bit of press in the UK in 1994 as well as through their shared connections with Hall or Nothing (Caffy St Luce from Hall used to be very close with Richey and then she went on to work with Radiohead while Richey was still with the Manics) I'm sure he knew of them, but I can't say whether he liked them or not. They were still a fairly new band on the scene by the time of his disappearance plus Pablo Honey was a bit of a lack-lustre album so who knows if he dug them. I do like to think that he would have become a fan had he stuck around.

Yeah Dean, Thom made those referrences to Richey shortly after he disappeared. Not sure if he still believes it though.
Yorke was indeed a fan of Richey's, but I'm not sure if he's ever liked the Manics' music tbh. I do know the other members, namely Phil and (ironically) Ed have said they appreciated the Manics. Not sure about the brothers Greenwood however.
The two-part My Iron Lung EP came out ages before The Bends, around autumn 1994 ( better on the whole than Pablo Honey, I think the tracks from it are part of the deluxe Bends that came out recently). Radiohead would have been promoting that around the same time as The Holy Bible probably.

Typical of Wire though, I remember being surprised at recent interviews where he's said he's a fan of Sonic Youth, as he's definitely had a go at them before.
Old 01-12-2009, 19:45
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roi View Post
The two-part My Iron Lung EP came out ages before The Bends, around autumn 1994 ( better on the whole than Pablo Honey, I think the tracks from it are part of the deluxe Bends that came out recently). Radiohead would have been promoting that around the same time as The Holy Bible probably.

Typical of Wire though, I remember being surprised at recent interviews where he's said he's a fan of Sonic Youth, as he's definitely had a go at them before.
Yep, there was the 1994 'My Iron Lung' EP, but at that time, it was only released in the Australian market so I'm not sure how available it was in the UK at the time, though I'm sure it may have been circulated within the industry so Richey and the other Manics may have heard it via Hall or Nothing, etc.
And yes, it was/is a killer EP that showed the progression they had made which carried over into the brilliance that is 'The Bends'. I still really, really live that album!

I had no idea about Wire making snide comments about Sonic Youth. I'm not surpised though. Who hasn't he made a derogatory comment about?

Re: Ed O'Brien's appreciation for KoL, well, have you seen some of the bands Wire champions? Most of them are a joke! In fact, if I based my adoration for the Manics purely on the premise of the bands they dug, particularly Wire, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much of a fan, tbh. Thankfully I don't! LOL!

Btw, I rather like early Kings of Leon music. Admittedly their new stuff is a bit shit, but I'd still take them over some of the crap Wire thinks is great.
Old 01-12-2009, 20:09
Builder of routine

kings of leon are not shit..tho if i hear sex on fire or witever its called one more fucking time i will scream

*screams*
Old 01-12-2009, 21:40
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
kings of leon are not shit..tho if i hear sex on fire or witever its called one more fucking time i will scream

*screams*
Yeah, cos I keep thinking 'That's gotta hurt!'
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-12-2009, 02:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPretender View Post
Yep, there was the 1994 'My Iron Lung' EP, but at that time, it was only released in the Australian market
Just to say that it was out in the UK in August 1994, as a 2 part CD single and widely available
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55
Bored out of my mind

Yeah, cos if you look at RH's back catalogue in say a music mag etc, the 'My Iron Lung' EP is always shown as released in the UK. Think it may have been available briefly in HMV again for a short time as I remember looking at it (I may be getting mixed up with some other RH related recording though so don't start getting excited! )
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 07-12-2009, 10:19
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 View Post
Just to say that it was out in the UK in August 1994, as a 2 part CD single and widely available
Oh, sorry! I must be a bad Radiohead fan cuz I've never heard of this 2 CD single, but i did a search and it appears that the two of you are correct. My bad! The only EP that I knew of and actually have is the 8 song EP that was only originally available in Australia until about 1995/96.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22
Bored out of my mind

You're not a bad RH fan Shannon!