Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 08-12-2009, 08:35
Doors slowly closing

I'm going to miss Teletext!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Why is there this myth that KYE gets more stick than any other album?
I'd say Send Away The Tigers gets more stick on here than any other album.

It's not the repeatition of the hits that annoys me. Of course they have to play Motorcycle Emptiness and Design For Life and I would be devastated if they dropped songs like that. It's the other 'filler' songs in the setlist - Ocean Spray, Little Baby Nothing, Everything Must Go, La Tristesse, The Everlasting etc that piss me off. I used to love Little Baby Nothing and now the opening chords make me want to slip into a coma. Yes, they brought back Sorrow 16 for the recent tour, woo fucking hoo, but they only played it on alternate nights and when they did drop it it was for Autumnsong! Yes, that rarely played fan favourite... Fans shouldn't be in a position, with a band that has a ridiculously large back catalogue, of clamouring for one or two new inclusions a tour. It's sad.

Good morning all.

Last edited by Mary Chain; 08-12-2009 at 08:39.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:19
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijack View Post
Yes, they brought back Sorrow 16 for the recent tour, woo fucking hoo, but they only played it on alternate nights and when they did drop it it was for Autumnsong!
Good morning all.
They also brought back Tsunami which hadn't been played since 2004, which was sounding really good again.

I guess Australia counts as bringing back as well as aside from the festivals in 2007 they hadn't played that since 2005 so I guess for a lot of newer fans they probably hadn't seen it, it wasn't long enough for me to get particularly excited about Australia though.

The last tour is hard to compare though with that whole album thing, usually you could mix it up a bit more. I'm still in two minds as to whether the whole thing worked as there was almost a feeling of relief every night once the first set finished and we were on to the hits - though I don't know how much thats associated with the general air of misery around the tour.

Last edited by Amanda; 08-12-2009 at 12:22.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:22
Doors slowly closing

I know, I'm just being critical because I expect more. Last tour was an exception in terms of the first setlist and the new album, but how they still manage to find room for some songs that have been done to death and don't even qualify as hits baffles me. Tsunami was fantastic though.

Mm, I'm in two minds about the first set too. At first I was very excited about it as a novel idea, but I do remember looking forward to Motorcycle Emptiness after the first couple of dates. It did give us a chance to hear some great songs they probably won't play that much again though, like Pretension Repulsion and Bath Of Bleach. William's Last Words was excellent each night also.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:25
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
In fairness (and on second thoughts), in recent interviews the press has started saying that 'GATS' and 'Lifeblood' are their two great failures, but that's a recent thing.
I'd say the dislike and highlight of Lifeblood as a 'failure' hasn't been recent, in fact i'd say most of it stems back to its time of release. However, most seemed to deem it this sort of next progressive step of failure generating from following KYE.

Quote:
'SATT' gets a generally good reception round here. There are those who dislike it, but I think they're loud rather than numerous (and I say that as someone who finds it a little bland myself).
I think it gets a fair amount of sort of cheap throw away comments and criticism due to the fact its the most straightforward work they've released. Its a fairly easy target to have a go at really.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:39
Winterlover

I dunno, obviously the last tour was an extreme but I just don't think they've ever really done it any other way to give people grounds to expect anything more, and even of the ones you listed by and large you can see why they are there. EMG got played to death when it was released and you'd expect either that or Australia in addition to ADFL for that whole 96 sound they could mix them up more I suppose but they are pretty interchangeable for me, and I definitely approve of the fact by and large you get an EMG non-single as well as they could just stick to the hits.

LTD I'd say is the most recognisable thing off GATS, I wouldn't say its the best single from the album but its the easiest reference point, and they do vary it with FDTW and RITH.

Then the Everlasting is just in the accoustic section anyway, so that just leaves LBN and Ocean Spray, and seemingly Ocean Spray is there for some kind of sentimental reasons (though I'd rather it wasn't but its a hard one to criticise given the lyrical theme), and I love LBN so thats 100% fine by me. It was so amazing when it came back in the set in 2007 as apart from the greatest hits tour it stopped being a definite after 97 and I was never entirely happy about that.

Part of me I think quite likes the continuity of it all theres something nice and familiar about it all- perhaps thats what threw me by the two sets, but little things like not playing YLU last (which took about 6 years to come to terms with) and playing ADFL second on the PPF tour (never came to terms with that) unsettle me.

Quote:
Amanda - 'SATT' gets a generally good reception round here. There are those who dislike it, but I think they're loud rather than numerous (and I say that as someone who finds it a little bland myself).
If you look at that thread where people list the manics albums released this decade though - KYE comes bottom 6 times, Lifeblood and JFPL none and SATT comes bottom 10 times - thats only a small sample mind and could just be a correlation between people who can be bothered to list 4 things and disliking SATT but its the best I've got.

Last edited by Amanda; 08-12-2009 at 13:26.
Old 08-12-2009, 13:33
Desire on its knees

I'd hate to see La Tristesse Durera dropped from the setlist, I think it's definitely amongst Manic Street Preachers best songs. I do agree though that they could throw in a few different songs now and again just to freshen it up. I wouldn't mind hearing Black Dog on my Shoulder, Stay Beautiful or Bored Out of My Mind being played live.
Old 08-12-2009, 19:36
Bored out of my mind

Like Amanda said, whether it's just cos they've always done it that way and are now too set in their ways to change. Who knows? Would be nice to hear a few more rarer songs.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-12-2009, 19:40
I live to fall asleep

I can't help but feel this thread has gone off topic a bit. Great discussion, but it's not really about when the next album is due to be released.
Old 08-12-2009, 20:09
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by adore failure View Post
I can't help but feel this thread has gone off topic a bit. Great discussion, but it's not really about when the next album is due to be released.
Very true! I suppose it's cos we know we've got longer to wait now than expected!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 08-12-2009, 20:45
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
The thing people are forgetting is how self-critical the Manics are. They don't play many songs from 'KYE' or 'Lifeblood' because they themselves don't like the albums that much. Other bands don't play songs from whole albums if they go off them, so do the Manics. Plus considering the stick 'KYE' in particular gets round here, why should they want to play songs from it, when the reaction will probably be muted at best?
They managed to force themselves to play Revol on the Forever Delayed tour (at least in Birmingham) after years of slagging it off as one of their worst songs! And it was fantastic!

Just goes to show they can do it if they try.
Old 08-12-2009, 20:49
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatetom View Post
They managed to force themselves to play Revol on the Forever Delayed tour (at least in Birmingham) after years of slagging it off as one of their worst songs! And it was fantastic!

Just goes to show they can do it if they try.
Was GUTTED when I went to Nottingham that year and heard from a mate that they played Revol in Birmingham. I was like 'Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!'