Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 00:12
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I'll definitely go for 'fairly bland misery' over 'awkward and cringey politics toss'. As much as I love KYE musically and am even willing to defend the lyrics of a right mess like Intravenous Agnostic, that album is a very good example why Wire needs to step away from writing anything political.
That statement is just silly. You don't like one album so he should stop being political at all? No 'Design For Life' or 'Tolerate' then, and more up to date no 'Rendition' or 'Imperial Bodybags'? Sorry, I'll risk the occasional clunker for a lyric with a bit of fire like 'Leviathan' any day.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
That statement is just silly. You don't like one album so he should stop being political at all? No 'Design For Life' or 'Tolerate' then, and more up to date no 'Rendition' or 'Imperial Bodybags'? Sorry, I'll risk the occasional clunker for a lyric with a bit of fire like 'Leviathan' any day.
Actually I don't really have a problem with Wire's political lyrics pre-KYE. Like said, ADFL and Tolerate are great - the latter especially, although I do think part of its greatness is because it treats it subjects matter ever-so-slightly more vaguely.

But Rendition and Imperial Bodybags are terrible, IMO. And Wire hasn't really done a good political lyric ever since Know Your Enemy (bar Nixon, but that's not particularly keen on making any sort of a statement, it's more a character lament). I don't mind a political lyric if it's done well, but ever since Know Your Enemy Wire seems to have completely lost his touch with writing a commentory lyric. He seems to have lost the art of subtlety, the idea that you can still comment on something even if you don't just bluntly state it - see e.g. Tolerate or Design which both capture the idea, theme and thoughts running behind their respected subjects without ever actually directly pointing a finger and shouting "THERE IT IS!!!" at anything. His political material since KYE - or most of his material in general since that album - comes off as incredibly awkward and clunky because he seems to be trying to bring back the old Manics-esque sloganeering style, offering big punchline statements. But, and this is one thing where I actually think Richey was a better lyricist, Richey knew how to do a good punchline. With Wire's hands the style simply becomes too obvious and even slightly amateurish, it sounds clunky and awkward. It's like political lyrics of a young teenager inspired by his favourite rock band's lyrics.

This is, naturally, all my opinion but I'd prefer Wire to stay away from writing anything political until at least he connects with the muse he had pre-KYE. His lyrical skills have plummeted since Lifeblood in general (that album and its era pretty much marks his final great lyrics, even if it showed signs of the subsequent self-admitted writer's block), I'd much rather have a wonky personal lyric over a wonky political one because at least with the former you don't feel as cringed and embarrased by listening to it.

Naturally, it all boils down to the individual listener's lyrical preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C
Which lyric is about nothing and which is actually about something?
But why isn't the Groundhog Days lyric about nothing? It may not state its subject in a similar Captain Obvious' History Lesson "This is a cat. Cat says meow" way that Robeson does, but as you read through the lyric in whole it's fairly obvious what the desired meaning that is wanted to convey is. It's more abstract and introspective, but it doesn't make it a lyric about nothing.

If you want lyrics about nothing, there's a hell of a ton better candidates in the Manics catalogue. Like the lyric line lottery of Intravenous Agnostic (which I do quite like because its utterly messy, incoherent rambling fits so perfectly to not only the song's chaotic mood but to the album's schizophrenic bouncing as a whole).

Last edited by Flint; 01-05-2010 at 09:22.
Old 01-05-2010, 18:26
Bored out of my mind

Disagree that the three songs Phil mentioned are bland musically. As I've said a few times, love the guitar solo in RC.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 01-05-2010, 21:01
I am purity, they call me perverted

I like that album a lot.
Old 24-05-2010, 14:20

Talking

I think KYE is one of their best.

(If you skip tracks 4-8, and insert Just a Kid & Pedestal)
Old 26-05-2010, 11:39

Does anyone know what the "exclusive content" on the KYE CD is? I put the CD in my computer, clicked on exclusive content, and all it did was bring up my web browser.
Old 26-05-2010, 14:57
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomas850 View Post
Does anyone know what the "exclusive content" on the KYE CD is? I put the CD in my computer, clicked on exclusive content, and all it did was bring up my web browser.
Haven't got the content edition? I just have the bogstandard album.. which was far from bogstandard I add! Is this on the reissue of KYE?
Old 26-05-2010, 15:08

No, just the standard UK release. I guess since this album is 9 years old, the exclusive content isn't available anymore.
Old 01-06-2010, 23:26

I like it. Especially the Japanese version.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:23
Knowlede Is Power

Man, I'm just listening to KYE the first time in 3 years and LOVE IT!!!!!! Such a fantastic album!

Old 07-06-2010, 10:42
Winterlover

Know Your Enemy remains their "hidden gem" album to me. I always forget how good some of those songs are.