Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 09-01-2011, 03:18
Winterlover

I've heard La Tristesse and Autumnsong on the radio, and I rarely listen to the radio.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:47
Administrator

Yeah - I mean if they rehearsed it for heavenly, why not play it again?!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:50
Stretched out in the sun

Seeing as they hate rehearsing so much, when they do bring summat oldish back they should play it as often as they can so they don't have to rehears summat else
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola17 View Post
If it was entirely the case that Nicky always stops James doing any rarities, I would have expected James to take advantage of the fact he had total control of the setlists on his solo tour and throw on some rarities. He did Ocean Spray, This is Yesterday, Small Black Flowers, No Surface All Feeling, Kevin Carter and a few others - but none that haven't appeared regularly on the Manics setlists over the last few years.

Nicky, for comparison, played Dying Breeds, Wattsville Blues, Condemned to Rock 'n' Roll, Mr Carbohydrate, From Despair to Where, and Motown Junk - and even those songs that make regular appearances on the Manics setlists like Motown Junk bore little resemblance to the versions played by the full band, not least 'cause Nicky was playing rhythm guitar, not bass.

And Sean exists and has opinions.
It's just them as a band then. Nowt we can do about it! James did do Archives Of Pain at Boston Comics though!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 09-01-2011, 09:21
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Seeing as they hate rehearsing so much, when they do bring summat oldish back they should play it as often as they can so they don't have to rehears summat else
Why have a rehearsal space at Music Bank if they hate rehearsing??? They're a strange kettle sometimes.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:15
I am purity, they call me perverted

Don't get why they've only played Yes once on the current tour. A monster of a song that they've obviously rehearsed and it's been aired once, l don't get it. Can only hope it appears on the 22nd, won't be holding my breath.
Old 09-01-2011, 14:54
I live to fall asleep

They haven't really touched stuff off THB though, which is regarded by fans and critics alike as their best work, plus JFPL, widely seen as their best since, so I just don't understand the general thought behind it.
You'd expect once 'mass communication' is over, they'll remember that they have fans too.
If they play songs with conviction and energy, it'll go down well anyway.
Just an opinion, but its criminal that there is little rotation.

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 09-01-2011, 16:58
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
Why have a rehearsal space at Music Bank if they hate rehearsing??? They're a strange kettle sometimes.
because if they didn't rehearse their gigs would be a shambles. They hate it but they have to. Moaning minnies..they should do the shit parts of my job and see which is worse
Old 09-01-2011, 17:15
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird View Post
because if they didn't rehearse their gigs would be a shambles. They hate it but they have to. Moaning minnies..they should do the shit parts of my job and see which is worse
I know they need to rehearse. They should be using Music Bank alot more!
Old 09-01-2011, 17:36
I live to fall asleep

They play the hits cos they like the feeling that they are still within the mainstream, which in my cynical mind means more demand = more gigs = more money. Thats fine with me really but there must be an argument, in both financial terms and artistic terms, that they could make just as much money if they constructed some sort of run of shows that were theme based. It could be as simple as the "play the album in its entireity," or maybe the play the curios, or play the songs the fans vote for, or some JDB acoustic type thing. The hardcore fans would play upwards of 50 or 60 quid for shows like that. Put that into a theatre or a small arena and you would make just as much cash. Of course the problem would be they would have to learn the songs.

I really do hope we get some sort of mini tour or even a mini residence in Cardiff or wherever is handier and we celebrate their fantastic back catalogue. Their back catalogue will be their legacy.

I would also like to see them do some shows as a 3 piece again. I really think the fear brings out something extra in JDB. His "just singing this part not playing it" poses are shite.
Old 09-01-2011, 17:43
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proevpete View Post
His "just singing this part not playing it" poses are shite.
You don't think it looks cool when he punches himself in the head?

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 09-01-2011, 17:44
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlands_Junk View Post
You don't think it looks cool when he punches himself in the head?
Worrysome more than cool I think!