Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-05-2009, 20:36
Builder of routine

haha
first time when I looked at your post I thought I made a language mistake
definitely I shouldn't take so many painkillers. certainly I should shut myself up.

(and back on the topic, being more serious, in my very humble opinion it's safer for my sanity to believe he jumped. thinking about all those theories would make me bigger freak than I am at the moment. and I'm sure people would like to experience that!)
Old 11-05-2009, 20:46
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle-the-wagons View Post
i believe the river/estuary/sea would've washed up the body of evidence by now if he had jumped, i think there's enough evidence to suggest he didn't and that he's in somewhere like africa or a country thats not westernized in many ways as to remain anonymous.
15yrs ago there was nothing like the mad level of cctv around compared to now, the fact he'd been sleeping in his car moving around until the battery went flat suggests to me that he was looking to keep a low profile and coupled with the fact he withdrew £200 from his bank account each day for two weeks suggests he was looking to exist from hotel to hotel or leave the country...i'd not thought about it before but from where his car was left Bristol is only a stones throw away and he could easily have jumped on board some cargo ship and escaped abroad that way without any questions or eyebrows raised as opposed to by air etc....
I used to think that too...
Then I heard JFPL and I had an over-whelming feeling of 'how could he have gone on?'. Just listening to those words (NO SPOILERS!), how can he have moved on? I've always felt he didn't jump, and actually I don't think he did, but I don't think he can have moved on and gotten better. I really don't see how someone could come back from that. I mean, I've had huge fights with people over this, you know, you're in a pub and someone says, 'oh yeah, the manics, didn't one of them jump off a bridge?' and I've shouted 'NO! He's not dead, he's gone missing. IT'S NOT THE SAME THING!', etc.
But now, I don't know really, I think as time goes on, it's just less and less likely that he's still out there. Even if he was, I dread to think what kind of state he's be in, physically. No one can smoke 65 a day, and drink that much and not get some horrible disease.

Fucking hell. I'm not glad about my feelings.
Old 11-05-2009, 20:50
Winterlover

Quote:
ii'd not thought about it before but from where his car was left Bristol is only a stones throw away and he could easily have jumped on board some cargo ship and escaped abroad that way without any questions or eyebrows raised as opposed to by air etc....
Would this really be that easy for a guy who had little experience of fending for himself?
The only thing that would cause me to question the obvious is why didn't he leave notes or by some means clear up any ambiguity over his intentions?
On the other hand if you wanted everyone to think you'd ended it all but actually had other plans, leaving your car by a suicide spot is obviously the thing to do...
Old 11-05-2009, 20:51
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalthea View Post
I used to think that too...
Then I heard JFPL and I had an over-whelming feeling of 'how could he have gone on?'. Just listening to those words (NO SPOILERS!), how can he have moved on? I've always felt he didn't jump, and actually I don't think he did, but I don't think he can have moved on and gotten better. I really don't see how someone could come back from that. I mean, I've had huge fights with people over this, you know, you're in a pub and someone says, 'oh yeah, the manics, didn't one of them jump off a bridge?' and I've shouted 'NO! He's not dead, he's gone missing. IT'S NOT THE SAME THING!', etc.
But now, I don't know really, I think as time goes on, it's just less and less likely that he's still out there. Even if he was, I dread to think what kind of state he's be in, physically. No one can smoke 65 a day, and drink that much and not get some horrible disease.

Fucking hell. I'm not glad about my feelings.
Yeah, they're my kind of feelings. In many ways, I prefer to believe he's dead, because that's easier than to believe that he'd go 14 years without contacting his family.
Old 11-05-2009, 21:05
I am purity, they call me perverted

yeah thats fair comment, but its difficult to judge or say for definite on how he was mental state wise, Nicky said his time spent at the Priory changed him like it took some of his soul away, probably meant he became more introverted..i'm thinking had he carried on with the band in the spotlight and pressures of that lifestyle then maybe the manics wouldn't be around now and he'd have broken down in the public glare, so his natural defence mechanism was to escape....to solitude and a new life where he could overcome his demons of selfharm and cut down the drinking/smoking...perhaps something triggered him off to seek some kind of spiritual side of himself.
Old 11-05-2009, 21:13
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
yeah thats fair comment, but its difficult to judge or say for definite on how he was mental state wise, Nicky said his time spent at the Priory changed him like it took some of his soul away, probably meant he became more introverted..i'm thinking had he carried on with the band in the spotlight and pressures of that lifestyle then maybe the manics wouldn't be around now and he'd have broken down in the public glare, so his natural defence mechanism was to escape....to solitude and a new life where he could overcome his demons of selfharm and cut down the drinking/smoking...perhaps something triggered him off to seek some kind of spiritual side of himself.

It would be nice to think that he had found some solace, but I personally can't imagine being at peace without any contact with my friends or family. I feel guilty and on-edge if I don't call my mum for a fortnight.

Well, wherever he is, I hope he's at peace. And not a mechanic.
Although, didn't James once make a quip about them being 'Manic and the Mechanics'? Ooh, maybe he knew something....
Old 11-05-2009, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Inconspicuous View Post
Would this really be that easy for a guy who had little experience of fending for himself?
The only thing that would cause me to question the obvious is why didn't he leave notes or by some means clear up any ambiguity over his intentions?
On the other hand if you wanted everyone to think you'd ended it all but actually had other plans, leaving your car by a suicide spot is obviously the thing to do...
Good post and very thought provoking... The thing that swings my opinion is the fact the car battery was found flat as a pancake so he had no choice at that time but to abandon it, leaving it where he did leaves a perfect question mark for sure, but it suggests to me he was spending time going round in his car contemplating life and the perfect way out,rather than the 's' word as he used to describe it, and this brings up the issue of just how much courage he would've plucked up as like you say he wasn't the most adept at fending or looking after himself, i just think he'd have found it easier to run away without saying anything than taking his own life which takes a mammoth amount of courage to do,if he'd have written a letter or said what he was doing then everyone immediately close to him would've naturally gone out to look for and bring him back to help him....you do get those stories sometimes of where a seemingly happy person in a relationship just suddenly ups sticks and leaves the relationship without so much a look or glance back and just goes off and does their own thing,i kind of did that to a degree a couple of times in my late teens early 20s with relationships that could've started up and just distanced myself away from them without really communicating,altho i wasn't cutting myself off from my family or anything..
Old 11-05-2009, 21:40
Doors slowly closing

Was he in the car til the battery went flat? I can't remember. My battery goes flat in a few hours if I leave the lights or the radio on.
Old 11-05-2009, 21:54
Winterlover

Quote:
Good post and very thought provoking... The thing that swings my opinion is the fact the car battery was found flat as a pancake so he had no choice at that time but to abandon it, leaving it where he did leaves a perfect question mark for sure, but it suggests to me he was spending time going round in his car contemplating life and the perfect way out,rather than the 's' word as he used to describe it, and this brings up the issue of just how much courage he would've plucked up as like you say he wasn't the most adept at fending or looking after himself, i just think he'd have found it easier to run away without saying anything than taking his own life which takes a mammoth amount of courage to do,if he'd have written a letter or said what he was doing then everyone immediately close to him would've naturally gone out to look for and bring him back to help him....
But Nicky always says that his actions in the weeks before his disappearance are indicative in retrospect of someone who had settled on a course of action. I can't believe that this plan was just to drive around Britain in his car in the hope that some way out of his problems would come to him miraculously. And if the plan was to commit suicide but leave a lingering mystery over it, surely he could have made a better fist of it...

I just remembered, didn't Nicky say something like "If his intention was just to commit suicide, why didn't he just gett it over with as soon as he vanished?" To which I suppose the mundane answer might be, it took him a few days to screw up the courage to do it...

Last edited by Mr Inconspicuous; 11-05-2009 at 22:12.
Old 11-05-2009, 22:02

So his car battery went dead, he had an epiphany at that moment and decided to become a car mechanic. Makes perfect sense to me.
Old 11-05-2009, 22:06

Honestly I think he probably committed suicide, mainly because there hasn't been one "sighting" that's at all convinced me. I know he's not exactly as well known as Tom Cruise or something, and could easily be in a non-Westernised country where he's hardly be recognised at all, but to think there's not been ONE convincing sighting in 14 years makes me think he probably jumped. Plus, aren't there quite a few cases of people jumping off the Severn Bridge and their bodies never being found?

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea that he's still alive but I can't believe it, personally.
Old 11-05-2009, 22:06
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
So his car battery went dead, he had an epiphany at that moment and decided to become a car mechanic. Makes perfect sense to me.
That's for getting this thread back on track, I was beginning to worry.
Old 11-05-2009, 22:14
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richian View Post
That's for getting this thread back on track, I was beginning to worry.

Gah, yes sorry!

OK, well I now know what to spray on my t-shirt for the tour...

ALAN EDWARDS 4REAL, 4EVER.
Old 11-05-2009, 22:33

You guys will see..wait until the JFPL B-sides start to come out with song titles like :

"Overhaulin' the engine"
"Gaskets are leaking"

and the haunting and moving

"Fill your tank up while my heart runs on empty"
Old 11-05-2009, 22:54
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalthea View Post
Gah, yes sorry!

OK, well I now know what to spray on my t-shirt for the tour...

ALAN EDWARDS 4REAL, 4EVER.