Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 31-12-2010, 02:04
I live to fall asleep

The "last" gig with Richey...

I've read over the years that there is no footage at all of the last gig in Dec 94 but there is footage from the night before. But I was thinking, on the Holy Bible 10th anniversary album DVD there is footage of the band smashing all their gear up which happened on the last night apparently...sooooooo, obviously there is footage of this last night. Was the full final gig filmed and just not released?
Regardless, it'd be amazing for some top quality early (and up to date) gig footage to pop on a new DVD if the band are to release a new "BEST OF" in 2011.
Old 31-12-2010, 02:20
Bored of being bored

From the brief footage I've seen, it appears to be camcorder footage from the side of the stage. Not the pro-shot good stuff that made up the videos on the 10th anniversary THB.
Old 31-12-2010, 13:16
I live to fall asleep

I ont get this obsession with Richey era Manics.

Post Richey Manics >>>>>>>>>>> Richey era Manics.
Old 31-12-2010, 13:23
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
I've read over the years that there is no footage at all of the last gig in Dec 94 but there is footage from the night before. But I was thinking, on the Holy Bible 10th anniversary album DVD there is footage of the band smashing all their gear up which happened on the last night apparently...sooooooo, obviously there is footage of this last night. Was the full final gig filmed and just not released?
Regardless, it'd be amazing for some top quality early (and up to date) gig footage to pop on a new DVD if the band are to release a new "BEST OF" in 2011.
I *think*, off the top of my head, that in Everything it says they smashed gear every night but the first two nights was cheap stuff specifically bought to be demolished. If I remember rightly the book says they destroyed their real gear on the final night, to the horror of various members of the audience and management.

So I may be mistaken, but it may be that the footage on the DVD is from the penultimate night with the gear smashed being cheap stuff.
Old 31-12-2010, 13:53
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
There is footage as i have all three gigs on video. I got them from a bootleg seller years ago.
Old 31-12-2010, 13:59
I live to fall asleep

The Astoria footage they used to make the US Faster video definitely needs to be released in full.

WITH GRACE WE WILL SUFFER
WITH GRACE WE SHALL RECOVER

Old 31-12-2010, 14:13
A self-made vacuum

Location: The Library basement, where all the best books are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralscrutiniser View Post
I *think*, off the top of my head, that in Everything it says they smashed gear every night but the first two nights was cheap stuff specifically bought to be demolished. If I remember rightly the book says they destroyed their real gear on the final night, to the horror of various members of the audience and management.

So I may be mistaken, but it may be that the footage on the DVD is from the penultimate night with the gear smashed being cheap stuff.
I have a bootleg video of the first two nights and the footage on the DVD is totally different to those.

Any official footage of this gig should've been released around the time of The Holy Bible 10th Anniversary, don't see the point in doing it now. Get on with the future and all that.
Margate 22-09-98 Wembley 16-12-98 Cardiff 31-12-99 Brixton Academy 30-03-01 Wembley 07-12-02 Brixton 08-12-02 Wembley 09-12-04 Hammersmith 18-04-05 Hammersmith 19-04-05 Kentish Town 29-05-07 Astoria 30-05-07 Shepherd’s Bush 31-05-07 Brighton 06-06-07 Cardiff 06-12-07 Brixton11-12-07 Brixton 12-12-07 Brighton 14-12-07 O2 Arena 28-02-08 Royal Festival Hall 12-09-08 Camden 28-05-09 Camden 29-05-09 Camden 30-05-09 Brighton 02-06-09 Kentish Town 08-06-09 Southend 20-10-10 Bournemouth 22-10-10 Brixton 15-12-10 Brixton 21-01-11 Brixton 22-01-11 Hard Rock Cafe 02-02-11 Wolverhampton 19-05-11 O2 Arena 17-12-11 Shepherd's Bush 24-09-13 Cardiff 29-03-14 Wolverhampton 06-04-14 Brighton 09-04-14 Brixton 11-04-14 Brixton 12-04-14 Rough Trade East 08-07-14 London Olympia 14-09-14
Old 31-12-2010, 15:06
I live to fall asleep

Ah right, that's interesting to read. Was just curious, you know. Thanks.
Old 31-12-2010, 17:56
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrial Symphony No.1 View Post
Get on with the future and all that.
perhaps this would be easier if they didnt keep releasing Greatest Hits every two minutes. or playing old songs on tours. Or talking about Richey all the time. or... ((etc etc))

there is a very real need for this stuff to be made available, and a market for it. Why have it shrouded in mystery and bootlegery when the material is THERE?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:17
Stretched out in the sun

I've got a bootleg video of one of the Astoria gigs, not sure if it's the last one or not though. Sound's pretty good, filmed from the balcony. If I can figure out what to do with it I'll see about getting it on here.
Old 01-01-2011, 18:42
Winterlover

Man, this question will be asked until the end of time.

I doubt the last show was filmed professionally in it's entirety. As we all know, someone was filming from stage side (probably the videos director/camera person) and there is live footage taken from the audience's vantage point, but it isn't clear if that footage was filmed on the last night. I should imagine if a professionally shot film of those gigs existed, particularly the last night, it would have been released by now.

Hey, has anyone ever thought to ask the boys about this when they've met them or had the opportunity to interview them? It seems strange given the curiosity surrounding the last Astoria gig, that no one has ever asked the band or their management about the existence of a pro-shot film.

Last edited by Bryter Layter; 01-01-2011 at 18:47.
Old 01-01-2011, 19:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

i had all the gigs on video but it decided to stop working....
Old 06-01-2011, 01:07
Freed from the century

I asked Nicky once and he said something about some American guy who recorded a bit of the end of the gig... but if you look at the gear smashing frame by frame it looks like it was shot from more than one angle meaning more than one camera.

The raw footage anyway would've been a great extra on the DVD but then again so would a load of other stuff. Could we start a postcard lobby on Sony to release it on Blu-Ray?
Old 06-01-2011, 18:50
Doors slowly closing

Where was the footage taken from for that Design For Life video a few years back? It was weird as it made it look like they were performing ADFL at the Astoria in 1994! Obviously not possible as it was probably just a chord or two in James' head at the time, but that looked like professionally filmed footage of the final gigs.