Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-01-2011, 20:01
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Wolves civic 2005?
Aye, good gig that. Hope you weren't stood behind me!
Old 10-01-2011, 20:04
Footprint of history

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Aye, good gig that. Hope you weren't stood behind me!
I was up in the balcony. I had a West Brom flag with 'Guy Massey' written on in big red letters. I never got it out the bag though as my son threatened to disown me if I did
Old 10-01-2011, 20:06
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanic View Post
...and open with it. Best opener ever.
Without doubt!
Old 10-01-2011, 20:14
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Wolves civic 2005?
Wasn't there, i did Liverpool and the two London dates. They opened with Found That Soul every night though, amazing!
Old 10-01-2011, 20:29
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
My claim is I can pick out KYE in a darkened room from my CD place.
Basically it has the top and bottom hinge of the CD cover removed (Not on purpose) and a crack near the "CHERS" part of the cover.
If it was a 10th Anniversary edition it wouldn't be as easy to pick out?
But yes, I love this record. I really love it as it took me a fair while to get into. It comforted me when I got the "It's not you it's me" bullshit.
2001 eh? And given The Libertines and other shittly produced bollocks came a few years after, maybe KYE was more ahead of it's time than people realise?

That said, if "70 Songs..." is going to be a cut price KYE they can fuck off if they think I'm paying for it!
Old 10-01-2011, 21:53
A self-made vacuum

Quote:
Obviously it's paid off for the shop in question in this instance, but I wanna know who it was running a place whose customers are usually stopping for a piss or Burger King and thought "oh, I know what they need! Manic Street Preachers second least favourite album!"
Hahaha, I know, right? They usually have a WH Smiths with a shit load of CDs, which are usually all compilations or novelty CDs, so I was really surprised to find a Manics CD in there.

I found James' solo album in a service station once too, but it was really expensive.
Old 11-01-2011, 14:05
I live to fall asleep

Jusy had the album on as I having my afternoon nap. Forgot how bloody great Intravenous Agnostic is. SWSS actually had my singing along happily in my head and then I thought "Hang on, this is meant to be shit!" haha! I fell asleep for a bit then woke up to the cover of We Are ALl Bourgeois Now, which was really good. Not a bad album overall, but liek we've said, not worthy of any kind of special release.
Old 11-01-2011, 14:09
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
Jusy had the album on as I having my afternoon nap. Forgot how bloody great Intravenous Agnostic is. SWSS actually had my singing along happily in my head and then I thought "Hang on, this is meant to be shit!" haha! I fell asleep for a bit then woke up to the cover of We Are ALl Bourgeois Now, which was really good. Not a bad album overall, but liek we've said, not worthy of any kind of special release.
You slept through most of the shit then by the sounds of it!
Old 11-01-2011, 17:14
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Obviously it's paid off for the shop in question in this instance, but I wanna know who it was running a place whose customers are usually stopping for a piss or Burger King and thought "oh, I know what they need! Manic Street Preachers second least favourite album!"
buying tapes at service stations was always the ace part for me of family holidays and school trips. off the top of my head, the top tapes i ever bought at them were In Visible Silence by the Art of Noise, Born In The USA by you know very well who, Once Upon A Time by Simple Minds and a bootleg of a Hendrix gig that had the best version of Room Full Of Mirrors that i had ever heard. do not knock it!

as for a KYE 10th anniversary, well, if there was no 10th anniversary for TIMTTMY, no chance of this or any other (bar SATT, see my new year's resolution comments for my ideas on a 5th anniversary of that gem).

i really don't think there's anything for the band to say on KYE that hasn't been. the singles were exhaustive, there was a comp at the time (Know Your B-Sides or something?), the promos were all on the FD DVD about a year or so later and then there was the Louder Than War DVD.

if KYE was "the Manics Screamadelica" they could try and flog it a bit more, but alas as it's not quite that celebrated i doubt even Sony would be so ruthless as to make us buy it again.
blog
Old 11-01-2011, 21:03
Bored out of my mind

With KYE I usually end up not listening to it for ages but I'm always glad when I've dusted it off!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 11-01-2011, 22:22
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlasting View Post
SWSS actually had my singing along happily in my head and then I thought "Hang on, this is meant to be shit!" haha!
You underestimated its power! Bwahahahaha!
Old 11-01-2011, 22:25
Winterlover

You dropped your cynic barriers and allowed yourself to realise that SWSS is great.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
buying tapes at service stations was always the ace part for me of family holidays and school trips. off the top of my head, the top tapes i ever bought at them were In Visible Silence by the Art of Noise, Born In The USA by you know very well who, Once Upon A Time by Simple Minds and a bootleg of a Hendrix gig that had the best version of Room Full Of Mirrors that i had ever heard. do not knock it!
That's a weird service station!

And when did you become starstruck?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:02
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

It signified the end of my opening three years of blind faith in the band, but initially I did think it was a great album. I do think it was a fairly strong era when you add in the b-sides, especially compared to the pish that followed next album round
Old 12-01-2011, 05:40
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPKYE View Post
I thought they said there was a possibility of it, releasing in its originally intended form of 2 albums, one a west coast popier album and the other a more rock heavy one and that they had loads of material left out....or words to that affect.
This. I'd actually really like to see how the original plan would have worked out, even if they've already released most(?) of the tracks that were intended to be on there. It sounds like it would've made the whole thing a lot more coherent! Too bad it's probably never gonna happen.