Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 23:16
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague View Post
Which is the PPF tour referred to above?
Past Present & Future

This forum really needs an acronym check thread....I know the band are fond of long titles but words are good! Some threads/posts scatter so many acronyms through it ends up meaning SFA to me...
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson
Old 04-04-2018, 23:39
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Past Present & Future

This forum really needs an acronym check thread....I know the band are fond of long titles but words are good! Some threads/posts scatter so many acronyms through it ends up meaning SFA to me...
Thanks.
Most acronyms are album title ones or major single titles so most of them make sense.
This tour was only UK I found out, after some research, so not so weird I didn’t remember it.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:21
Freed from the century

Quote:
it ends up meaning SFA to me...
Aren't they the the other Welsh band ?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:58
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
I'm sure that in the (be)moaning thread you were worrying over the rise of the robots
Sure there's a lot of good in modern technology/social media but it's taken over in some ways and not always for the good and people seem reluctant to reflect and learn from the past.....because technologies might change and develop but human behaviours don't change quite as fast - we've always had targeted advertising and marketing but social media's given it a huge platform that's become a little sinister/Black Mirror...look at the current Facebook scandal although I don't think Facebook's top bods intended for this to happen...or for it to go quite this far ....but I don't think it should be seen as just inevitable even if unintended.....
“As you caress the beauty of your screens, remember their mission, to own your dreams, to avoid tax and order your life, to sell you a future you may not desire,”
Oh that was different! I just don't want to see flippy the robot and automated self-service stuff replacing jobs while our population continues to increase. Although apparently we've seen the first recorded drop in life expectancy so maybe there is hope ... Wire seems more bothered about meddling kids today, their misguided tweets and sad Facebooking, trying to fool the world with their own importance.

Got mixed feelings about the Facebook and Cambridge Analytica stuff that's been going on. I once got a targeted advert for "Janis Joplin tickets", 40 odd years after she died. Seen a couple of satirical articles along the lines of Cambridge Analytica being the only people who give a shit what you had for your tea last night. I'm on Facebook, I'm fairly active but my profile's blank, doesn't say where I work, what school I went to or anything like that that's supposed to be important about people. Course I'm sure Cambridge Analytica could suss me out pretty well if they checked out the pages I like, the stuff I share, the way I word shit etc. I can't make my mind up whether it's more hassle than it's worth or if it actually is being used to shape and influence people's opinions and beliefs, shaping election and referendum results... Don't wanna get into tin foil hat territory mind.

Just googled your quote at the end, all I can find is this thread... is it you?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:34
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

It's off the new album isn't it?

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:00
Freed from the century

I blame the broken algorithms.
Old 05-04-2018, 14:27

Sean on his twitter said they've been rehearsing Sleepflower, so maybe that might be played... unless he was being cheeky.
Old 05-04-2018, 16:46
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I was thinking that GATS and RIF have a similar feel to them.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 05-04-2018, 21:03
Winterlover

Revised scores following a few more listens (+/- change from previous score in brackets):

People Give In - 9.5/10 (+0.5)
International Blue - 8/10 (no change)
Distant Colours - 9.5/10 (+0.5)
Vivian - 8.5/10 (+0.5)
Dylan and Caitlin - 7/10 (no change)
Liverpool Revisited - 7.5/10 (no change)
Sequels of Forgotten Wars - 9.5/10 (+0.5)
Hold Me Like a Heaven - 8.5/10 (+0.5)
In Eternity - 9/10 (+1)
Broken Algorithms - 7.5/10 (+0.5)
A Song For The Sadness - 9.5/10 (+0.5)
The Left Behind - 6/10 (+0.5)

I've been a little more generous with some of the scores - I think the highest scores have been given to the songs I've basically had on repeat over the last week or so, and some of them have the potential to be some of my favourite Manics songs, hence the very high scores. The only song that's gone down from my previous assessment is Vivian. That initial buzz I had has worn off slightly, whereas for the other songs it has remained and in some cases grown. In Eternity has been a massive earworm over the last few days, I absolutely love the chorus and I've been singing it a hell of a lot during random intervals (especially the bit right at the end of the song!) - I realise that this means nothing to a lot of people!
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 05-04-2018, 21:08
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessSenseOfVoid View Post
The only song that's gone down from my previous assessment is Vivian. That initial buzz I had has worn off slightly, whereas for the other songs it has remained and in some cases grown.
Vivian's chorus is just weird and doesn't fit at all for me. It just sounds like a bloke complaining to himself after the new young pup that they've named after their favourite photographer that they are trying to toilet train has peed in the house again. Ah Vivian!

EDIT: Just listening back to it, it sounds like Jimbo's voice is mixed with someone else in the second chorus... Could it be Sean?! Or is it Wire? Or am I just imagining all of it?

Last edited by Europa Gluten Free; 05-04-2018 at 21:11.
Old 05-04-2018, 21:37
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
EDIT: Just listening back to it, it sounds like Jimbo's voice is mixed with someone else in the second chorus... Could it be Sean?! Or is it Wire? Or am I just imagining all of it?
It's The Anchoress! Sean said he didn't sing any backing vocals on this album (I asked on Twitter a few months ago)
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 05-04-2018, 22:09
Winterlover

All this positivity is making me look forward to hearing it now. I like this time when a new release is imminent and my cyclical manics listening comes around again in full force after spending several months imprinting sgt. pepper on my brain (for professional reasons!).
I should get a cardiff ticket really... i wish i could quit you, msp.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 06-04-2018, 00:04

My favorite song on first listen was a song "A song for sadness" - had a good driving beat, and the chorus was interesting.

Hold Me Like A Heaven has grown and grown. Might be my favorite song of the album so far.

Can't say I liked Broken Algorithms - seems like underdogs... my least favorite manics song.

Liverpool Revisted is a grower as well - thought the lyrics were clunky but their are moments.

Overall it's a solid album.

1. People Give In - 7
2. International Blue - 9
3. Distance Colours - 9
4. Vivian - 6
5. Dylan & Caitlin - 5
6. Liverpool Revisted 8
7. Sequal of Forgotten Wars - 7
8. Hold Me like A Heaven - 9
9. In Eternity - 8
10. Broken Algorithms - 4
11. A Song for the Sadness - 9
12. The Left Behind - 7

Overall 7.5 - (Seems about right)

I'm an exquisite distiller of ennui...
Old 06-04-2018, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEF View Post
It's a shame because some of the 'no hits' gigs (JFPL, GT Acoustic, Futurology/HB Rough Trade) have been brilliant smaller gigs for the hardcore.

There are only so many more years I can spend staring into space while You Stole the Sun plays in the background
JFPL Tour was by far the best - certainly for north american fans. It was basically a greatest hits plus JFPL... The Toronto gig was by far the best I've ever been too.

I'm an exquisite distiller of ennui...
Old 06-04-2018, 00:14
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn View Post
Aren't they the the other Welsh band ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Oh that was different! I just don't want to see flippy the robot and automated self-service stuff replacing jobs while our population continues to increase. Although apparently we've seen the first recorded drop in life expectancy so maybe there is hope ... Wire seems more bothered about meddling kids today, their misguided tweets and sad Facebooking, trying to fool the world with their own importance.
Hope? That we all die before the only choice we have regarding work is flipping burgers or shouting next please. Have a nice day now "Pointless jobs just lead to pointless lives. It's breaking up our bones it's breaking up our minds.".....that's one of mine too, ha. (The other quote is a broken algorithm.) I think we've already lost a lot to technology - which doesn't mean I want to turn the clock back to some mythical time (entirely) but when you're say stood looking up at a building like York Minster it does make me think how it must have felt to have been a part of planning, designing and building such a place. How many people and how many skills it drew on .... that's a building that must have brought a lot of pride and satisfaction....although I think it took near 200 years to complete so maybe we are also too quick today to complain about how long it takes to get owt done. still....no one stops to worship, literally or otherwise at the steps of a Barratt's house. I know that's an extreme example but I do think we've maybe lost some of our creativity, imagination...to technology.
Handed over our self esteem to Facebook on which everyone appears to be out-Stepford-ing everyone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Got mixed feelings about the Facebook and Cambridge Analytica stuff that's been going on. I once got a targeted advert for "Janis Joplin tickets", 40 odd years after she died. Seen a couple of satirical articles along the lines of Cambridge Analytica being the only people who give a shit what you had for your tea last night. I'm on Facebook, I'm fairly active but my profile's blank, doesn't say where I work, what school I went to or anything like that that's supposed to be important about people. Course I'm sure Cambridge Analytica could suss me out pretty well if they checked out the pages I like, the stuff I share, the way I word shit etc. I can't make my mind up whether it's more hassle than it's worth or if it actually is being used to shape and influence people's opinions and beliefs, shaping election and referendum results... Don't wanna get into tin foil hat territory mind.

Just googled your quote at the end, all I can find is this thread... is it you?
It's deceitful though the way they've acquired the data and the way it's used would be called propaganda if it was used in a more open/public manner. I suspect we're all more vulnerable to having our ideas and opinions manipulated than we think but no I agree it won't have made a huge difference - although - in Trump's case his win wasn't by a huge majority, it was close run, so it does make you wonder if the hard sell didn't turn some off Clinton and towards Trump exactly, but, for some of those with thoughts scarily aligned with his to begin with who wouldn't normally vote cos 'they're all the same' maybe on some of those people the hard sell made them think it could be worth going out to vote this time? That maybe there would be a change for once - same could be said for the surprise success for Corbyn so it's not always the way to nutcase dictators - but it's a powerful tool and a mis-use of people's personal data.

It also - like a lot of social media arguably - reduces the ground for open and public debate still further by reflecting individuals views back at them - telling them only what they want to hear to get them to vote a certain way. That's already happening anyway to politics with politicians just saying what they think people want to hear instead of offering a cohesive ideology or comprehensive plans or a genuinely opposing view to the other parties true but instead of discouraging that it makes it easier for politicians to carry on down that narrowing road

None of which has owt to do with the album....not directly...sorry
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more," - Byron

'I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.' (from Sea Fever - John Masefield)

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson