Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 11-04-2012, 02:36
I am purity, they call me perverted

"Judge Yer'self" and the destroying of instruments

As “Judge Yer’self” was never released as single, it cannot rightfully take its place on “National Treasures”. Its absence is a shame, as it is one of the outstanding tracks from the “Holy Bible” era.

I’ve been viewing the video quite a lot on YouTube. As a very long time fan, I was even surprised of its existence. (Many things never quite made it to New Zealand including my “Gold Against The Soul” free poster with Melody Maker). The video is a montage of behind the scenes footage. Lots of filming from the infamous tour to Thailand. I keep arguing with myself, which is the better of similar videos. “This Is The Day” or “Judge Yer’self”. At the end of the “Judge Yer’self” video, the band can be seen destroying their instruments. I am positive the footage is not from the last gig at the Astoria. Simply out of an anorak curiosity, does anybody know how many times the band destroyed their instruments on stage? I only know of three. The Astoria gig, the one from “Judge Yer’self” and Nicky breaking this guitar at the O2 2011 gig.

I always remember James saying how remorseful he felt after wrecking one of this guitars and comparing how much it cost, to what his father earned. I was always struck by that little homely by James.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:33

I think I read somewhere they used to destroy their instruments quite often. But if you take a look at various videos, they usually played cheap guitars (as for example Epiphones).

And don't forget about You Love Us Heavenly video.

Last edited by zaza_3121; 11-04-2012 at 08:23.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:10
Under neon loneliness

Nicky famously smashed his bass at the Millenium gig.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47
Freed from the century

T in the park 1999 - thats a biggie! haha

JDB = legend
Old 11-04-2012, 08:52
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
As “Judge Yer’self” was never released as single, it cannot rightfully take its place on “National Treasures”. Its absence is a shame, as it is one of the outstanding tracks from the “Holy Bible” era.

I’ve been viewing the video quite a lot on YouTube. As a very long time fan, I was even surprised of its existence. (Many things never quite made it to New Zealand including my “Gold Against The Soul” free poster with Melody Maker). The video is a montage of behind the scenes footage. Lots of filming from the infamous tour to Thailand. I keep arguing with myself, which is the better of similar videos. “This Is The Day” or “Judge Yer’self”. At the end of the “Judge Yer’self” video, the band can be seen destroying their instruments. I am positive the footage is not from the last gig at the Astoria. Simply out of an anorak curiosity, does anybody know how many times the band destroyed their instruments on stage? I only know of three. The Astoria gig, the one from “Judge Yer’self” and Nicky breaking this guitar at the O2 2011 gig.

I always remember James saying how remorseful he felt after wrecking one of this guitars and comparing how much it cost, to what his father earned. I was always struck by that little homely by James.
I never saw Nicky breaking a guitar in the O2, there is a video of it?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:55
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Design For Manic View Post
I never saw Nicky breaking a guitar in the O2, there is a video of it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSeXCpE9ymQ

Thinking on, they trashed the drums at Fuji Rock 2001.

Oh and duuuh, the only one I was actually at - nicky smashed his bass on the 2nd night at the Hammersmith Apollo on the 2005 PPF tour (image nicked from Sam/Go_Buzz_Baby):

Last edited by tzb; 11-04-2012 at 09:17.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:28
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSeXCpE9ymQ

Thinking on, they trashed the drums at Fuji Rock 2001.

Oh and duuuh, the only one I was actually at - nicky smashed his bass on the 2nd night at the Hammersmith Apollo on the 2005 PPF tour (image nicked from Sam/Go_Buzz_Baby):

thanks!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39
Winterlover

Not quite destroying but there's Sean kicking down his drum kit at the end of the TotP performance of Empty Souls.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56
Mr Msppedia

I'm pretty sure they trashed everything after the Cardiff Coal Exchange gig in 2001 too
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59
I live to fall asleep

James trashed his Les Paul at V2007. I asked hm about it at another gig and said he managed to get it fixed.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:31
Under neon loneliness

Not a very successful "trashing" then really..?

I mean try fixing this:

Old 11-04-2012, 11:42
Winterlover

I think they're known for smashing things around '91 and '92, the most infamous one is the last few minutes of Richey's final gig at the Astoria on December 21st 1994. There are clips of it in the US video for Faster, and a couple of really decent black and white photos of it.

I swear I saw longer clips of it in some Manics documentary or something before Know Your Enemy came out but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:48
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
Not a very successful "trashing" then really..?

I mean try fixing this:

It definately broke in half.

So I would say trashed.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36
I live to fall asleep

Yeah the Judge Yrself video is great, it's the most watched thing on my Holy Bible 10th anniversary DVD.
As for the trashing, the ones I have seen on TV, live or on Youtube are: clips of mostly James trashing his guitar in the Judge Yrself video (guess this is last gig of 94), Nicky trashing his bass at Cardiff in 99/00, Sean throwing his cymbal away after he fell over on TOTP in 2005 and then right at the end apparently "they destroyed everything" but the camera cuts away so who knows what happens, Nnicky bass smashing at the O2 gig last December and the hilarious video of Sean kicking his drums in Japan 2001 while Nicky throws a few things about while shouting at people to give him power haha, good stuff. As mentioned above there is the T in the Park 99, I've never seen footage of this gig at all I don't think,does any exist at all? I hope so if they were main headliners. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2012, 15:21

On the bootleg video I have of two of the Astoria shows, the footage of the second concert cuts out just has the gear-trashing begins in earnest! James finishes You Love Us solo whilst the rest of the band are destroying their gear. At the end of the song he as finishes playing James asks the audience "who likes that song anyway?" before throwing his guitar from the lip of the stage all the way back into the drum kit! Epic. Shame the footage is cuts off abruptly after that, though. Those gigs must have been amazing to witness.