Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 16:28
Builder of routine

Is nailed to history by Martin power terrible? Got it on my shelf but never read it. Still haven't read triptych.....
Old 05-02-2021, 17:47
Builder of routine

Location: The Wirral (Been saying it wrong, didn't realise there was a THE )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
I’d rather a follow up to Everything than another half assessed attempt at another Richey insight. I’d even buy it if there was chapter dedicated to tearing apart trashpiles like Withdrawn Traces.
Simon if you're reading this please do this and take my money
Old 05-02-2021, 18:41
Knowlede Is Power

Tricky this one innit.

Everything was brilliant but as said earlier the bar for Manics books is very low.

It’s a different time now as well - Everything came out when I was a teenager when the Internet was in its infancy (relatively), and they only had 4 albums behind them. What can SP add that we don’t already know? Not keen on Price the person or the journo either.

I’ll buy it anyway but I don’t expect it to have the impact or the insight as the original version did.

Last edited by Lee; 05-02-2021 at 18:46.
Old 07-02-2021, 20:33
Winterlover

Sure, i'd read it. I can't complete my manics bingo card without having read the original anyway, i really don't know why this one escaped me when i even managed to read that awful ben myers book about richey.
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:12
I am purity, they call me perverted

I owned "Everything" for 20? years and only got around to reading it last year.

If he was to include new material what would this be? Him trawling through YouTube watching interviews with the band? Reading over published interviews with the band adding a few comments to what someone else has written. Unless the new material covered time he has spent with the band then I don't see much worth in buying a new updated book.

I still there is a need for a really thorough biography on the band. That normally comes after a band has retired. With the Manics being such a tight group there is lots that happens that we never will know about. The recent podcast interviews with Greg Havers, Terri Hall have shed more light on the Manics than Price has in 20 years.

Nabokov on Don Quixote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:57
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian On Fire View Post
The recent podcast interviews with Greg Havers, Terri Hall have shed more light on the Manics than Price has in 20 years.
This is a great point. And I felt that even in those podcasts, those people were being very careful about what they were saying.

The truth is do we really need a biography on the Manics? What more is there to know at this stage? They write songs, make albums, put them out, and then tour. That's it. They are a tight knit group and that's the way it should be.

At this stage, I 'm just hoping for an album come summer and some online videos.
Old 08-02-2021, 17:05
Knowlede Is Power

No I wouldn’t. I got rid of both my copies of everything a few years ago, I won a copy and decided to keep both. No idea why!
Old 08-02-2021, 19:53
Bored of being bored

I think I only got round to reading Everything in something like 2005. At the time, in a pre-internet age, I'm sure it was quite revealing, especially for the fans who had only got into them post EMG. By 2005 the internet was booming, their story had been picked over many a time (often by journalists who probably used Everything as a reference source) so didn't pack much impact.

Like many bands, the most interesting stages of the Manics' career were the early days - any book about the band will have a hell of a lot more written about the band during the nineties than over the course of the next two decades.
Old 08-02-2021, 21:04
I am purity, they call me perverted

I suppose it depends how you'd define interesting. I'm genuinely curious about the creative decisions behind Lifeblood, stories behind the solo albums, the band's response to their comparative fall from the limelight, the recording of Rewind the Film and Futurology, etc. much more than the embarrassing theorising and posing they engaged in when they were younger.