Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 15:43
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofaman View Post
So, I can't be the only one whose singles box set has arrived in an appalling condition. Are there other people here who have received a less than perfect box set.

Yes, I'm moaning - but if I spend £165 on anything, I want it arriving in perfect condition. That's not too much to ask.

My box set had bruised and dented corners, a ripped lid and the black cardboard inside surrounding the cds were damaged by the weight of them knocking against them. (I've already moaned about this on the MSP FB page). I'm sure some of you will think, "get over it and enjoy your box set" but I'm sorry, it's the principal.

Unsurprisingly, it comes down to the way it was packed (or lack of) Just put in a cardboard box and sent out. No packaging, no bubble wrap, nothing. What did they expect was going to happen.

I've complained to MyPlay Direct (who I haven't heard back from yet). I expect to be told I'm in a catch 22 situation. Send it back and they'll send another (no doubt packaged in the same way) Of course, I'll be expected to foot the cost of sending it back.

I've also got in touch with Hall Or Nothing (who I know through my job in the media) and they've got back to me. They seemed quite concerned and have passed my complaints onto the band's management and Sony. Not sure if this avenue will actually come to anything further.

However, I'm trying to find out who else hasn't received their box set in the condition they'd expect.

I'm debating getting quite arsey with MyPlay Direct if they don't offer to pay for return postage (which I don't expect they will do).

So, rant over.
Anyone in the same position I've found myself?
You have every right to be annoyed, I would be too, especially considering how much you shelled out for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiamonroe View Post
Apparently there's a bit that will go in the dvd extras where you are sucking off JDB backstage at the Brixton Academy.
Old 05-11-2011, 16:29
I am purity, they call me perverted

Sorry to hear so many people have also had problems. Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me.

I'm going to wait to see what MyPlay Direct say and go from there. I only contacted them on Friday night, so expect a reply on Monday.

Hate to be skeptical, but I expect they're not going very be willing to pay for return postage. (by comparison Microsoft couldn't have been more helpful when all those xbox consoles - mine included - suffered the RROR. We all got pre paid postage forms to print out etc)

Nor do I want a replacement posted to me in the same way. I think UPS were the carrier - and I'm not attributing any blame on them. It all comes down to shoddy packaging.

I'm somewhat tempted to try and cause a lot of fuss about all this if I end up in an argument with someone from the company. See, I work as the web editor of a daily newspaper. (regional not national) but might try and use it as some kinda 'sort yourself out or I'm publishing a story about your company's inability to ensure something gets from A-B undamaged'. The more people who have received damaged goods would only add weight to the scale of the problem. Don't see why we couldn't drum up some kinda attention from a national even.

I know it might seem an extreme measure, but people have paid a lot of money for these and deserve them undamaged.

I'm going to keep Hall Or Nothing in the loop and I'll report back when I hear back from MyPlayDirect.

I'd obviously be interested to hear what other people are told by the company.

Dave
Old 05-11-2011, 16:30
Administrator

MyPlaydirect seem fairly unhelpful to me....unsurprisingly, given how useless the manics official site and store seem to be.
Old 05-11-2011, 17:36
Freed from the century

I'd be aggravated too. Don't back down on them; that's far too much money to spend on a product that isn't delivered in perfect condition.

I'd also follow pfaym's example and photograph the damage. Show them the evidence and it's only more pressure for them to do something about it.
Old 05-11-2011, 20:34
A self-made vacuum

Location: The Library basement, where all the best books are.
Other than the crappy cheap black card inside it being a bit creased I feel lucky that my box set is in relatively good condition. One of the corners is slightly squashed in a bit due to the insufficient packaging but it is nothing compared to the disgraceful state of PFAYM's box.
Margate 22-09-98 Wembley 16-12-98 Cardiff 31-12-99 Brixton Academy 30-03-01 Wembley 07-12-02 Brixton 08-12-02 Wembley 09-12-04 Hammersmith 18-04-05 Hammersmith 19-04-05 Kentish Town 29-05-07 Astoria 30-05-07 Shepherd’s Bush 31-05-07 Brighton 06-06-07 Cardiff 06-12-07 Brixton11-12-07 Brixton 12-12-07 Brighton 14-12-07 O2 Arena 28-02-08 Royal Festival Hall 12-09-08 Camden 28-05-09 Camden 29-05-09 Camden 30-05-09 Brighton 02-06-09 Kentish Town 08-06-09 Southend 20-10-10 Bournemouth 22-10-10 Brixton 15-12-10 Brixton 21-01-11 Brixton 22-01-11 Hard Rock Cafe 02-02-11 Wolverhampton 19-05-11 O2 Arena 17-12-11 Shepherd's Bush 24-09-13 Cardiff 29-03-14 Wolverhampton 06-04-14 Brighton 09-04-14 Brixton 11-04-14 Brixton 12-04-14 Rough Trade East 08-07-14 London Olympia 14-09-14
Old 05-11-2011, 20:48
Knowlede Is Power

My box is not damaged or ripped.
One side of the black cardboard inside surrounding the cds is damaged by the weight of them knocking against them.
And they just put The Motown-Junk single outside the box in the cardboard-packaging so that the vinyl has pushed through the paper sleeve a bit.
I'm not planning to send anything back, but if yours is really broken and you don't find this acceptable, do tell them!

I didn't get the shirt with the Postcards-box, even if it was stated on the accompanying letter, but after I'd complained they sent me one.

Old 05-11-2011, 22:02
I am purity, they call me perverted

I'm afraid my box too was not in the best condition, the bottom corners are badly damaged
Old 05-11-2011, 23:13
Builder of routine

i should send it back..but i can't be bothered with the hassle to be honest.. I'd be interested to know what Hall or Nothing say. The rip in the lid is exactly the same as pictured..thankfully the motown junk vinyl wasnt damaged.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:55
Doors slowly closing

Here's another thing to consider. They never gave the numbers on how limited this was. If it was limited to the point that it could sell out on preorders despite being a rip off, you'd think they might want to advertise just how limited it was.

Therefore, I suggest it isn't 'sold out', it's 'currently unavailable' while they go back and redesign it. Or at least that's what happened with my Miles Davis Columbia box that I've made reference to a number of times. When I got my second copy of that, the box's design had been overhauled and made more durable. From the photos, that card on the inside looks absolutely pathetic.

And, yes, Amazon paid for my returns postage when I sent that fat-ass box back to them, but Amazon are a class act and the damage wasn't even their fault. That box was also 'no longer available' for a few weeks while Sony sorted the mess out.

So don't hold onto your damaged boxes thinking it's not worth the hassle. Not only should you be requesting an undamaged box, you should be making it clear to Sony (myplay direct is a Sony subsidiary) that the box in its current form isn't fit to be sent through the post.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:01
A self-made vacuum

Thus far mine just hasn't turned up. Nice to think I was charged for it ages ago.Manics releases - never go smoothly.

No control. We're all at sea. In a world that's disappeared.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:02
Knowlede Is Power

I haven't ordered the box but reading all these comments makes me think that sculptureofaman did the right thing and that everyone who got a a damaged box should do the same. If more people complain, maybe they will take a more careful look at what is happening. I really think that the band and their management should know directly from us what is going wrong with their latest releases.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:06
A self-made vacuum

If mine turned up damaged I will complain until it's fixed. Had to do the same with the special edition gold Forever Delayed photo book too when that turned up damaged. I care not if it's out of stock or limited edition. I've paid for a product that they WILL provide me with in perfect condition.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:46
A self-made vacuum

Hi Lewis,

I'm sorry that the box set you received was damaged. We will send you replacement for the damaged items. Please check all the items in the package, playback the CDs and then get back to us with the details of damaged items so that I can send you replacement for all the items at once.

However, if you wish to return the box set for a refund, please get back to us with an RMA request so that we can provide you instructions to return the package.

Sincerely,

Sony Music Digital
C1E4
Cody
Old 06-11-2011, 11:53
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardsfromayoungman View Post
Hi Lewis,

I'm sorry that the box set you received was damaged. We will send you replacement for the damaged items. Please check all the items in the package, playback the CDs and then get back to us with the details of damaged items so that I can send you replacement for all the items at once.

However, if you wish to return the box set for a refund, please get back to us with an RMA request so that we can provide you instructions to return the package.

Sincerely,

Sony Music Digital
C1E4
Cody
I'd be so tempted to get back to them with a list that includes:

"It sounds to me like you accidentally put a really bad version of Sweet Child o' Mine on the disc labelled 'Autumnsong'."

and...

"This is the Day could do with being re-recored so it doesn't sound so shit."
Old 06-11-2011, 12:06
A self-made vacuum

'My boxset contained Australia, can you make it go away?'