Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-06-2016, 21:55
I am purity, they call me perverted

Everything Must Go Era Ultimate Tracklisting

So, how to organize your Manics Collection.

The Manic Street Preachers are in fact a collectors dream or nightmare, depending on your point of view. The amount of live tracks, exclusive versions, covers, and remixes scattered across various releases is frankly astounding, but brilliant nevertheless. With the advent of the new Everything Must Go re-release I thought I'd had a bash at doing a definitive (and final - for now!) tracklisting for this particular era. I have what I think is everything, but does anyone know of anything I have missed at all please? The lines are of course blurred as we all know the Manics throw out stop-gap tracks like no other band, so forgive me if anyone thinks that any song I have chosen here doesn't belong in this particular time frame, but hey, they have to go somewhere.

Disc 1 - The Original Album

1. Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier
2. A Design For Life
3. Kevin Carter
4. Enola/Alone
5. Everything Must Go
6. Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky
7. The Girl Who Wanted To Be God
8. Removables
9. Australia
10. Interiors (Song for Willem de Kooning)
11. Further Away
12. No Surface All Feeling
13. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (B. J. Thomas Cover) (Taken from the 'HELP' Album, Various Artists)

I decided to put the Raindrops cover on the end of the album, well, just because. It felt right?? At the time I always felt it should have been a hidden track. I like the perverseness of including a cover on an album of original material; and besides they'd done it before on GT, and would do it again on KYE and SATT. And the fact it was the first track they recorded as a three piece also pointed to me that I should include it here. Each to their own, mind.

Disc 2 - The B-Sides

1. Mr. Carbohydrate (CD1 B-Side to 'A Design For Life')
2. Dead Passive (CD1 B-Side to 'A Design For Life')
3. Dead Trees And Traffic Islands (CD1 B-Side to 'A Design For Life')
4. Black Garden (CD1 B-Side to 'Everything Must Go')
5. Hanging On (CD1 B-Side to 'Everything Must Go')
6. No-One Knows What It's Like To Be Me (CD1 B-Side to 'Everything Must Go')
7. Horses Under Starlight (CD1 B-Side to 'Kevin Carter')
8. Sepia (CD1 B-Side to 'Kevin Carter')
9. First Republic (CD1 B-Side to 'Kevin Carter')
10. Velocity Girl (Primal Scream Cover) (CD1 B-Side to 'Australia')
11. Take The Skinheads Bowling (Camper Van Beethoven Cover) (CD1 B-Side to 'Australia')
12. Can't Take My Eyes Off You (Frankie Valli Cover) (CD1 B-Side to 'Australia')
13. Penny Royalty (Live) (Nirvana Cover) (Taken from 'Evening Session Priority Tunes' Album, Various Artists)
14. Bright Eyes (Live) (Art Garfunkel Cover) (Cassette B-Side to 'A Design For Life')
15. Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Live Acoustic Version) (B. J. Thomas Cover) (Cassette B-Side to 'Everything Must Go')
16. A Design For Life (Live) (Cassette B-Side to 'Australia')
17. Everything Must Go (Acoustic Version) (Cassette B-Side to 'Kevin Carter')

Quite straightforward, all the studio b-sides & live tracks in one handy place. The nine original songs from the first three singles, and the 3 covers recorded for Australia. Then the Nirvana cover as it was released in 1996 on the Radio 1 compilation, it actually flows well with the other covers, and then finally the 4 live tracks that were included on the cassette singles. Note: the original Dead Passive, with the ''ooh-ooh-ah-ah'' intro, the original Black Garden complete with the ''Glory Glory'' intro, and the original cover of Take The Skinheads Bowling, (did anyone ever figure out why they re-recorded it for Lipstick Traces??).

Disc 3 - The Remixes

1. A Design For Life (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Version) (CD2 B-Side to 'A Design For Life')
2. A Design For Life (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Instrumental Version) (CD2 B-Side to 'A Design For Life')
3. Faster (Vocal Mix) (CD2 B-Side to 'A Design For Life')
4. Everything Must Go (The Chemical Brothers Remix) (CD2 B-Side to 'Everything Must Go')
5. Everything Must Go (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Remix) (CD2 B-Side to 'Everything Must Go')
6. Everything Must Go (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Soundtrack) (CD2 B-Side to 'Everything Must Go')
7. Kevin Carter (Busts Loose) (CD2 B-Side to 'Kevin Carter')
8. Kevin Carter (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Remix) (CD2 B-Side to 'Kevin Carter')
9. Kevin Carter (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Soundtrack) (CD2 B-Side to 'Kevin Carter')
10. Australia (Lionrock Remix) (CD2 B-Side to 'Australia')
11. Motorcycle Emptiness (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Remix) (CD2 B-Side to 'Australia')
12. Motorcycle Emptiness (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Soundtrack) (CD2 B-Side to 'Australia')

All the remixes that were included on the CD singles, again on one convenient disc. I personally think the art of the tracklisting has gone, look at the 20th Anniversary of Everything Must Go. So on paper it looks neat to include all the b-sides in chronological order, remixes and live tracks et al, but after doing a quick playlist of the tracks I found it a disjointed listening experience and not particularly helpful as a snapshot of the era at all. Some will disagree. In my view the 10th Anniversary was only slightly better to be honest, I ended up doing my own tracklisting for the 2 disc edition as well.

Disc 4 - The 10th Anniversary Bonus Disc

1. Dixie
2. No Surface All Feeling (Demo)
3. Further Away (Demo)
4. Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky (Demo)
5. No One Knows What It's Like To Be Me (Demo)
6. Australia (Stephen Hague Production)
7. The Girl Who Wanted To Be God (Stephen Hague Production)
8. Australia (Acoustic Demo, Nick's House '96)
9. No Surface All Feeling (Acoustic Demo, Nick's House '95)
10. Interiors (Song for Willem de Kooning) (Acoustic Demo, Nick's House '95)
11. The Girl Who Wanted To Be God (Acoustic Demo, Nick's House '95)
12. A Design For Life (First Rehearsal, Cardiff '95)
13. Kevin Carter (First Rehearsal, Cardiff '95)
14. Enola-Alone (Live)
15. Kevin Carter (Live)
16. Interiors (Song for Willem de Kooning) (Live)
17. Elvis Impersonator-Blackpool Pier (Live)
18. Everything Must Go (Live)
19. A Design For Life (Live)
20. Glory, Glory

Across the two discs on Everything Must Go 10 were a number of tracks that had never seen the light of day previously. Great stuff, a real reason for the fans to buy the album again. But I thought it would have been more logical to include all the album tracks and the B-sides of original material on Disc 1, with the 'new' tracks on Disc 2. But hey, we can all make our own playlists now, right?? See above, for me, a more enjoyable experience of the 'new' tracks we got, book-ended by Dixie and Glory, Glory. Again, only my opinion.

Disc 5 - The 10th Anniversary Remastered Studio Tracks

1. Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier
2. A Design For Life
3. Kevin Carter
4. Enola/Alone
5. Everything Must Go
6. Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky
7. The Girl Who Wanted To Be God
8. Removables
9. Australia
10. Interiors (Song for Willem de Kooning)
11. Further Away
12. No Surface All Feeling
13. Mr. Carbohydrate
14. Dead Passive
15. Dead Trees And Traffic Islands
16. Black Garden
17. Hanging On
18. No-One Knows What It's Like To Be Me
19. Horses Under Starlight
20. Sepia
21. First Republic

For some maybe scraping the barrel, all the remastered studio tracks from the 2006 edition of Everything Must Go. Arguably a little punchier than the 1996 releases, but there's not much in it to be honest. Interesting for the AWOL aforementioned intros to Dead Passive and Black Garden, conspicuous by their absence, (though we did get Glory, Glory as a bonus track).

I haven't got round to buying the 20th Anniversary box set yet, I was disappointed to see that it didn't include any new songs, just a further remastering of (admittedly all) the original tracks. I already own the 1996 edition, the 2006 2 disc edition, and the 2009 Japanese 2 disc edition so I'm really not in a rush to buy it again. Some fan!! Still, the Nynex DVD looks good, so I will pick it up eventually.

I guess you could include the audio from the latest version of the album and complete b-sides as Discs 6 & 7 if you wanted to. I won't be bothering just yet. Can anyone clarify if Take The Skinheads Bowling is a remaster of the 2003 or 1996 version please?

So, can any of you good people who know the back catalogue inside out point me in the direction of any songs that are missing from this time frame please? It's a shame the Wire himself doesn't frequent this forum, I'd bet he could name loads of stuff I've missed here! I'm guessing live versions on compilations if any, maybe an odd remix I don't know about. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Thank you, Rob

Last edited by robg1979; 19-08-2016 at 16:48.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:12
Desire on its knees

don't know if you'd include it in your scope or not, but in my EMG-era playlist I've also got the original mix of 808 State's Lopez (released 1997, sung by JDB and written with JDB/Wire - it pretty much counts as a Manics track!); I also have the version of Old Red Eyes is Back the Beautiful South did on Jools in 1997 on there, with JDB singing; there's enough of him on the track for it to pass as a Manics track, to my ears.

also, what about Last Christmas, from TFI Friday in 1996?
Old 30-06-2016, 11:18
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg1979 View Post
I haven't got round to buying the 20th Anniversary box set yet, I was disappointed to see that it didn't include any new songs, just a further remastering of (admittedly all) the original tracks. I already own the 1996 edition, the 2006 2 disc edition, and the 2009 Japanese 2 disc edition so I'm really not in a rush to buy it again. Some fan!! Still, the Nynex DVD looks good, so I will pick it up eventually.
I haven't got it yet either, will do at some point though. I've got a lot of versions too... I can't think of anything you've not mentioned on your track listing. Suppose I could dig my remix 12"s out to see if any of them have tracks that aren't on the CD2s, know there are a couple for This Is My Truth...

As for exclusions, maybe it sounds petty but I don't know why after the 10th and 20th anniversary Holy Bibles, they couldn't have put out the live Life Becoming A Landslide from the Revol 10" on either of them. Same with the live Stay Beautiful from the gatefold Love's Sweet Exile for Generation Terrorists. That makes the Japanese 2CD things weird, the live tracks aren't on those either but there are live tracks on Lifeblood and Send Away The Tigers that as far as I know weren't released?

Ah, being an obsessive is hard work.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
don't know if you'd include it in your scope or not, but in my EMG-era playlist I've also got the original mix of 808 State's Lopez (released 1997, sung by JDB and written with JDB/Wire - it pretty much counts as a Manics track!); I also have the version of Old Red Eyes is Back the Beautiful South did on Jools in 1997 on there, with JDB singing; there's enough of him on the track for it to pass as a Manics track, to my ears.

also, what about Last Christmas, from TFI Friday in 1996?
I had thought about including Lopez but I then decided that when I get round to compiling all of James's solo stuff it will go on there, along with the duet with Tom Jones. But it's a fair shout and I appreciate the logic behind it, it all goes down to personal preference with oddities such as this. I don't know of the Beautiful South track, I'm going to have to have a gander, thank you. Was it released on a BBC DVD or anything or is it just a bootleg version?

Yeah, that's a damn good call about Last Christmas. I had forgotten about that! Do I put it on nearest release/era to Lipstick Traces or should it go here? Hmm.

Last edited by robg1979; 03-07-2016 at 10:38.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
I haven't got it yet either, will do at some point though. I've got a lot of versions too... I can't think of anything you've not mentioned on your track listing. Suppose I could dig my remix 12"s out to see if any of them have tracks that aren't on the CD2s, know there are a couple for This Is My Truth...

As for exclusions, maybe it sounds petty but I don't know why after the 10th and 20th anniversary Holy Bibles, they couldn't have put out the live Life Becoming A Landslide from the Revol 10" on either of them. Same with the live Stay Beautiful from the gatefold Love's Sweet Exile for Generation Terrorists. That makes the Japanese 2CD things weird, the live tracks aren't on those either but there are live tracks on Lifeblood and Send Away The Tigers that as far as I know weren't released?

Ah, being an obsessive is hard work.
Yeah when I get round to the This Is My Truth era I had will need to source the vinyl only tracks, I didn't know they even existed until recently. As far as I'm aware the Everything Must Go vinyls didn't have anything new, but thanks for mentioning it. I might be wrong however!

The Japanese releases are strange indeed. I thought they only included live stuff and remixes from their own respective eras, but I honestly don't know where half the stuff is supposed to be from! It is hard work trying to locate it all! That's why I thought I'd do it one era at a time, there's so much material and instead of having rips of all the singles and what have you, I thought having separate sets of all the tracks from an album cycle would be more logical, and also encourage me to listen to tracks that I don't go back to often for whatever reason.

There's a version of Kevin Carter on the 2 disc Jap Everything Must go that I think was a cassette only track from Tolerate??

Last edited by robg1979; 03-07-2016 at 10:50.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:55
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Can anyone clarify if Take The Skinheads Bowling is a remaster of the 2003 or 1996 version please?
Take the Skinheads Bowling on EMG 20 is the version from Lipstick Traces (2003).

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 04-07-2016, 19:30

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Take the Skinheads Bowling on EMG 20 is the version from Lipstick Traces (2003).
Thank you. Another mistake then, unless they've lost the master of the original and hoped no-one would notice a re-recording??

Last edited by robg1979; 07-07-2016 at 21:58.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:58
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Yeah when I get round to the This Is My Truth era I had will need to source the vinyl only tracks, I didn't know they even existed until recently. As far as I'm aware the Everything Must Go vinyls didn't have anything new, but thanks for mentioning it. I might be wrong however!
Yeah, I've just dug my remix 12"s out cos I couldn't be arsed the other day, you're right, nowt on those that aren't on the CD singles. There are a couple on the This Is My Truth ones though definitely, think there's a couple of these that weren't released here either https://www.discogs.com/Manic-Street...elease/3718290

Quote:
The Japanese releases are strange indeed. I thought they only included live stuff and remixes from their own respective eras, but I honestly don't know where half the stuff is supposed to be from! It is hard work trying to locate it all! That's why I thought I'd do it one era at a time, there's so much material and instead of having rips of all the singles and what have you, I thought having separate sets of all the tracks from an album cycle would be more logical, and also encourage me to listen to tracks that I don't go back to often for whatever reason.
Weird that they exclude all the Lipstick Traces stuff too, suppose as much as owt that'll be why the second discs of Lifeblood and Send Away The Tigers are as long as they are. Still, I love those little packages.

Quote:
There's a version of Kevin Carter on the 2 disc Jap Everything Must go that I think was a cassette only track from Tolerate??
Ah course there is, didn't think of that. Should've probably gone on the This Is My Truth one that. Some strange thinking there, there's the Small Black Flowers live from the Everlasting cassette - I think they're both from Nynex anyway? And that's on the This Is My Truth reissue.
Old 07-07-2016, 21:37

Quote:
Yeah, I've just dug my remix 12"s out cos I couldn't be arsed the other day, you're right, nowt on those that aren't on the CD singles. There are a couple on the This Is My Truth ones though definitely, think there's a couple of these that weren't released here either https://www.discogs.com/Manic-Street...elease/3718290

Weird that they exclude all the Lipstick Traces stuff too, suppose as much as owt that'll be why the second discs of Lifeblood and Send Away The Tigers are as long as they are. Still, I love those little packages.

Ah course there is, didn't think of that. Should've probably gone on the This Is My Truth one that. Some strange thinking there, there's the Small Black Flowers live from the Everlasting cassette - I think they're both from Nynex anyway? And that's on the This Is My Truth reissue.
That link you mentioned is really interesting actually - it mentions two mixes of The Everlasting: (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Instrumental Mix) and the (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Vocal Mix). Now of course the instrumental version was actually released on the CD 2 of the single, but the vocal mix didn't appear on CD until the Forever Delayed greatest hits bonus disc of remixes in 2002, or so I thought. Seems it had come out some 3 years earlier on these limited edition promo CD's...

Yeah, as far as i can see the following tracks are only available on vinyl from the 'This Is My Truth' era:

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Massive Attack Instrumental Remix)
The Everlasting (Deadly Avenger's Psalm 315 Instrumental)
The Everlasting (Deadly Avenger's 69th St. Mix)
The Everlasting (Deadly Avenger's 69th St. Instrumental)
Tsunami (Cornelius Instrumental Remix)

I don't have any of these, looks like I'll have to hunt me down some 12" records... Might as well start on this era next!

The Japanese sets are great, but they are a bit of a wasted opportunity, what with the missing tracks you mentioned earlier and also the Lipstick Traces songs. They could have been pretty definitive. But still, they are fantastic editions, and they're also a good starting point for what I'm aiming to do.

Really need to get hold of the audio from the Nynex gig, it will help me clarify if some of these scattered tracks across the CD's are from this concert. There is already a live version of Kevin Carter on the second disc of TIMTTMY, maybe that's why they didn't want to include the Nynex version, overkill maybe. Don't know where that version is from though!

Thanks for the info anyway, your knowledge is exactly what I need to be able to do this properly! :-)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:08
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
That link you mentioned is really interesting actually - it mentions two mixes of The Everlasting: (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Instrumental Mix) and the (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Vocal Mix). Now of course the instrumental version was actually released on the CD 2 of the single, but the vocal mix didn't appear on CD until the Forever Delayed greatest hits bonus disc of remixes in 2002, or so I thought. Seems it had come out some 3 years earlier on these limited edition promo CD's...
I've got the Tolerate and Everlasting ones of that set, just can't find the You Stole The Sun one. Haven't listened to the Forever Delayed remixes for ages, just had a look at the sleeves though. Ah, this remix lark is confusing isn't it? Wait till you get to Know Your Enemy, think there's about a million mixes of Ocean Spray

Quote:
Yeah, as far as i can see the following tracks are only available on vinyl from the 'This Is My Truth' era:

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Massive Attack Instrumental Remix)
The Everlasting (Deadly Avenger's Psalm 315 Instrumental)
The Everlasting (Deadly Avenger's 69th St. Mix)
The Everlasting (Deadly Avenger's 69th St. Instrumental)
Tsunami (Cornelius Instrumental Remix)

I don't have any of these, looks like I'll have to hunt me down some 12" records... Might as well start on this era next!
They're quite easy and cheap to get hold of.

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
The Everlasting
You Stole The Sun From My Heart
Tsunami

There are two Tsunami ones for some reason, one with a third track being the Cornelius Instrumental remix. What a ball ache.

Quote:
The Japanese sets are great, but they are a bit of a wasted opportunity, what with the missing tracks you mentioned earlier and also the Lipstick Traces songs. They could have been pretty definitive. But still, they are fantastic editions, and they're also a good starting point for what I'm aiming to do.
I love the packaging and for tracks it's great to have the extra stuff on the Lifeblood and Send Away The Tigers ones. Like the dvd only tracks from Lifeblood and the different versions of Your Love Alone and Umbrella.

Quote:
Really need to get hold of the audio from the Nynex gig, it will help me clarify if some of these scattered tracks across the CD's are from this concert. There is already a live version of Kevin Carter on the second disc of TIMTTMY, maybe that's why they didn't want to include the Nynex version, overkill maybe. Don't know where that version is from though!

Thanks for the info anyway, your knowledge is exactly what I need to be able to do this properly! :-)
Was gonna say that the Kevin Carter on there is the Nynex one but nah. The Tolerate cassette has the Kevin Carter from Nynex on it, but the version on the 2cd is from the Dutch Everlasting.. Still, the audio of Nynex is on cd2 of the new Everything Must Go and to be honest I'm quite disappointed with my lack of urgency to buy it.

Cheers!
Old 11-07-2016, 18:32

Quote:
I've got the Tolerate and Everlasting ones of that set, just can't find the You Stole The Sun one. Haven't listened to the Forever Delayed remixes for ages, just had a look at the sleeves though. Ah, this remix lark is confusing isn't it? Wait till you get to Know Your Enemy, think there's about a million mixes of Ocean Spray
It really is! I dont want to even think about Know Your Enemy until i'm through with This My Truth! :-) I've never really been that fussed until recently with the remixes, but some of them are quite good so I thought I might as well try and hunt them all down eventually.

Quote:
They're quite easy and cheap to get hold of.

If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
The Everlasting
You Stole The Sun From My Heart
Tsunami

There are two Tsunami ones for some reason, one with a third track being the Cornelius Instrumental remix. What a ball ache.
That's great, thank for the heads up. Just need to get myself a working record player as well now! Got a feeling all the remixes from this period won't fit on to an 80 minute CD. I could be wrong but they'll probably need to stretch over a couple of discs.....

Quote:
Was gonna say that the Kevin Carter on there is the Nynex one but nah. The Tolerate cassette has the Kevin Carter from Nynex on it, but the version on the 2cd is from the Dutch Everlasting.. Still, the audio of Nynex is on cd2 of the new Everything Must Go and to be honest I'm quite disappointed with my lack of urgency to buy it.

Cheers!
I didn't know about the Dutch Everlasting, but after a quick trawl through discogs I now know where all the live tracks are from on CD2. Thanks for the advice on that one! Looking at the 4 bonus tracks that were released on the cassette singles from TIMTTMY, I can only see where 3 have been released on CD. The aforementioned live Kevin Carter from Tolerate was shunted on to CD2 of EMG, presumably as they had an alternative live version already on the disc, taken from the Dutch Everlasting as you explained. The live Small Black Flowers from the cassette of The Everlasting is present and correct, as is the Motown Junk Medley, from the cassette of Tsunami. But there's no sign of the live version of If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next, which is apparently live from the Cardiff International Arena on 21 December 1998, which was on the tape of You Stole The Sun. Now there is a live version of Tolerate on CD2, but it looks like this was the version that was released on the Dutch Everlasting, and is not the same as the one on the cassette. Again it seems they didnt want to include a duplicate version of the same track, even though it was from a different concert.

I'm totally confused myself trying to explain all that!! I think it more or less makes sense. Probably! :-)

Last edited by robg1979; 11-07-2016 at 18:54.
Old 18-08-2016, 07:02

So after a bit of researching I've found the live version of 'Tolerate' (live from the Cardiff International Arena on 21 December 1998) which was on the casette of You Stole The Sun, did get a CD release on the Japanese single of You Stole The Sun. The 'This Is My Truth' ultimate tracklisting is now good to go....

Original post edited with the locations for each track.