Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 10-11-2012, 22:47
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I don't think ending up eventually 'well off' means that you suddenly are no longer able to empathise or understand what the less fortunate are dealing with. I doubt all of their relatives are millionaires so that will keep their feet on the ground I'm sure!
One of the rare occasions I agree with Gutless (hehehehehe)
I suppose we should judge the Clash given that Joe went to Public School too, or because they weren't Spanish

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 10-11-2012, 23:22
I live to fall asleep

Location: Alone in a godless universe and out of shake 'n vac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryter Layter View Post
As for the Manics themselves, I have no problem with them acquiring wealth or as you call it "bettering themselves", it's the hypocrisy and passing judgment on those that are largely in the same economic class as they are now. Also, continuing to polarize the classes by making silly public comments turns my stomach. It's nauseating.

And yeah, they're a band, but if they are going to make public social commentaries then they're fair game as far as I'm concerned. I don't come from the school of idol worship. Except David Bowie. He's pretty much flawless.
Economic class and social class are very different. I don't think the Manics have ever been against making money, they always wanted to sign to a major etc. What they've got a problem with is people who are born into wealth and privilege, who have no idea of the value of things. People who live off trust funds. The monarchy. The aristocracy. And that is a question of social class, not economic. However much money the Manics make, they won't be "privileged" in that sense.
Class on this kind of level is a very British concern. It fascinates me. The Marxist in me also wants to point out that unless you are titled, you are working class. The boys have worked for what they have, they still work for it. They don't own the means of production, therefore they are perfectly entitled to define as working class.

This is a massive fucking derail. O/T, that wrestling bloke is a genuine fan, from looking at his twitter. It must be amazing that his favourite band is writing him a song. I'm jeallin on him so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
life is excellent if you just fuck each other whilst doing loads of coke.
Old 10-11-2012, 23:29
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
One of the rare occasions I agree with Gutless (hehehehehe)
I suppose we should judge the Clash given that Joe went to Public School too, or because they weren't Spanish
Yay! And a good point about The Clash as well.
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 10-11-2012, 23:41
Bored of being bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude the Cow View Post
This is a massive fucking derail. O/T, that wrestling bloke is a genuine fan, from looking at his twitter. It must be amazing that his favourite band is writing him a song. I'm jeallin on him so much.
Become a wrestler then!!

on another note, his entrance on WWE 13 video game the detail of his tattoo is clearly visible at around 27-28 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktjHs6zOAys.
Old 10-11-2012, 23:44
Doors slowly closing

This news has made me wonder what the Manics would call themselves if they were WWE competitors:

e.g.

Jim 'The Pie-demolisher' Bradfield. Tremble in awe at his awesome destructive power!
Nick 'The Hoovernator' Wire. Fear this towering giant's skills in clearing the arena!
Sean 'Gadget King' Moore. Beware his hi-tech moves and crushing special powers!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 10-11-2012, 23:47
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porco View Post
Sean 'Gadget King' Moore. Beware his hi-tech moves and crushing special powers!
His special move (a combined slam and twist) is known as the 'Bang & Olufsen'
Old 10-11-2012, 23:49
Winterlover

Slightly off topic but it sure does amuse me when people say wrestling is 'clearly' faked... well its called world wrestling entertainment.... everyone knows this, its more theatre/circus performance than a 'sport' and it is very entertaining. Oh and its also a hell of a lot more psychical than boxing, martial arts and any of your 'contact' sports anyway.
Old 11-11-2012, 00:29
Winterlover

James Dean "The Man Who Eats Pizzas" Bradfield
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25
Winterlover

Has anyone here seen The Wrestler? Fucking great film. Mickey Rourke was excellent. I've always loved Aronofsky's films but I didn't expect to like this one. A mate of mine who is a wrestling announcer (!) said it showed a lot of inside tricks (routines and moves etc) but it still looked dangerous at times. It's hilarious even if it is a rehearsed performance.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafettish View Post
As soon as any working class person achieves wealth, they are seemingly shunned for being out of touch and suddenly become the enemy?
I don't know where anyone gets that idea from. If nothing else, they've got memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermintrude the Cow View Post
A) the guy is a fan. They're doing him a favour. Its nice to do stuff for your fans.

B) Class is a funny thing. As has been said, you remember where you come from. Also, just because someone is rich, why does that mean they can't empathise with those who aren't? I'm pretty sure all three (four?) band members know how lucky they are, coming from where they did, to have what they do.

C) How has their social class and the transience thereof got anything to do with whether they should write a particular song or not? Its not even like wrestling is "posh," if they were writing a song for polo I could see the relevance, but its freakin' wrestling. Its a form of entertainment. As is music. Chill the hell out guys.
A. They haven't written a song for me, they're being elitist. But nah, seriously, fair play to em. If it goes ahea this lad's gonna be over the moon and it's gonna get em some decent exposure.

B. I know Nicky does come out with some shite from time to time, but when he says stuff like "Tax the rick. Tax myself" I think it shows that he's not that out of touch.

C. Yeah.

Quote:
As for the Manics themselves, I have no problem with them acquiring wealth or as you call it "bettering themselves", it's the hypocrisy and passing judgment on those that are largely in the same economic class as they are now. Also, continuing to polarize the classes by making silly public comments turns my stomach. It's nauseating.
As Ermintrude said, there's a difference between economic class and social class. What's hypocritical about them passing judgment on people in their economic class? If they're not in a position to pass judgment or relate to working class people, aren't they in a decent position to pass judgment on themselves? I mean, there's the "Tax the rich. Tax Me" thing I linked further up, now if you're saying that and you've got offshore accounts that'd be hypocritical but I doubt even Nicky Wire can be that silly. You'd have a field day!

Quote:
And yeah, they're a band, but if they are going to make public social commentaries then they're fair game as far as I'm concerned. I don't come from the school of idol worship. Except David Bowie. He's pretty much flawless.
It's not about idol worship. Yeah, they're my favourite band but that doesn't make them immune. If they start releasing stuff I don't like or coming out with stuff I think is bullshit in interviews, I'd have no problem saying so. Seriously, what do you expect from them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I don't think ending up eventually 'well off' means that you suddenly are no longer able to empathise or understand what the less fortunate are dealing with. I doubt all of their relatives are millionaires so that will keep their feet on the ground I'm sure!
Exactly. I think for a band that have had a string of top ten hits and filled arenas all over Europe, they're pretty well grounded. I doubt things like this would be happening otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesyEsquire View Post
Slightly off topic but it sure does amuse me when people say wrestling is 'clearly' faked... well its called world wrestling entertainment.... everyone knows this, its more theatre/circus performance than a 'sport' and it is very entertaining. Oh and its also a hell of a lot more psychical than boxing, martial arts and any of your 'contact' sports anyway.
I used to be well into it in the early to mid-90s, seen a couple of clips lately for nostalgia's sake and it doesn't look as good as it did then.. Has there ever been much pretence that it isn't staged?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:06
Winterlover

The wrestling you see now is terrible compared to say mid 90s - 2005, it is a lot milder now and aimed at kids where as in that period you would regularly see blood, chair shots to the head and crazy stunts.

In the early 90's i guess they were big on keeping the image of it being 'real' but since the mid 90s they abandoned it really
Old 11-11-2012, 13:47
Footprint of history

Nothing beats the wrestling from the 70's, every Saturday we used to watch it on World of Sport
Old 11-11-2012, 14:05
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesyEsquire View Post
The wrestling you see now is terrible compared to say mid 90s - 2005, it is a lot milder now and aimed at kids where as in that period you would regularly see blood, chair shots to the head and crazy stunts.

In the early 90's i guess they were big on keeping the image of it being 'real' but since the mid 90s they abandoned it really
I haven't followed it for ages but I've got a couple of mates who are still into it so I hear bits and pieces from them sometimes. From what I gather there seems to have been more of a shift towards story lines. I heard that someone gave birth to a prosthetic hand and someone else got married vintriloquist style to a really pissed woman. Doesn't seem to be taking itself that seriously if that's anything to go by.
Old 11-11-2012, 14:06
Footprint of history

My lads gave up on WWE and now watch the TNT ( I think thats the one??)
Old 11-11-2012, 15:18
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlesue View Post
Nothing beats the wrestling from the 70's, every Saturday we used to watch it on World of Sport
Kendo Nagasaki and Mick McManus!