Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 04-11-2012, 16:38
Doors slowly closing

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristesse27 View Post
Yeah, it definitely goes to eleven. At first it was a novelty (and for me probably will be for a while yet) but about halfway through it started to grate and was a tad painful. Kept lowering the volume which wasn't even moderate to start with! That said, to my ears the sound itself is not bad (or no worse than it was previously, I should say?), just very, very loud.
And they still haven't fixed the glaring error in Stay Beautiful from NT where the volume increases even more at 2:53.

Ironically, this one has been remastered by JDB and someone called Tim Young. I Googled him (Young, not JDB) and here's what I found.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...n/18/pop.music

Quote:
Tim Young masters albums at the Metropolis Studios in London. He has impeccable credentials, having worked with bands from the Clash and the Smiths back in the 1970s to Madonna, Iron Maiden and the Sugababes today. "Everyone's chasing immediate impact," he explains. "What happens is all the loud parts of the album have to be as loud as the opening track. So you get a fatiguing effect. There's no light and shade in it."

Artists and record companies hope that louder music will stand out, but in practice the listener may just turn it down. Unfortunately, the techniques used to maximise the volume are damaging the music itself.
Hmmm, so there he is explaining everything he went on to do to GT. In his defence, this is the norm nowadays and fans moan about it with every remastered release. The complaints fall on deaf ears. I think that's the problem. The people who do these have gone deaf from all this noise. Not even joking.

The 2009 remaster is the best version to my ears and the one to use if you're still into making comps.

Last edited by Dancing Kirby; 04-11-2012 at 16:42.
Old 04-11-2012, 17:33
Winterlover

Looks like I have to wait until bloody Tuesday (probably Wednesday in fact) when I travel to London to pick up my copy. Hopefully a kind person will sort me out a copy of CD3 from the boxset (just kidding.... or am I?!)
23/08/01 CIA, 06/04/05 Civic Hall, 24/05/06 Camden Barfly, 11/10/06 Birmingham Barfly, 12/05/07 Cardiff Uni, 21/05/07 Civic Hall, 27/05/07 Manchester Apollo, 02/06/07 Colston Hall, 09/06/07 Reading Hexagon, 08/12/07 Birmingham NIA, 12/12/07 Brixton Academy, 28/02/08 O2 Arena, 30/05/09 Roundhouse, 12/10/10 Derby Assembly Rooms, 14/12/10 Birmingham O2 Academy, 19/05/11 Civic Hall, 17/12/11 O2 Arena, 06/11/12 Rough Trade, 13/09/13 Newport Centre, 23/09/13 Colston Hall, 27/09/13 Manchester Ritz, 29/03/14 Cardiff Motorpoint, 31/03/14 Leicester De Montfort, 06/04/14 Civic Hall, 08/07/14 Rough Trade, 14/05/16 Genting Arena, 09/07/17 Llangollen, 06/10/17 Drama Studio, 16/03/18 Absolute Radio, 14/04/18 Rough Trade, 27/04/18 Birmingham Arena, 05/05/18 Cardiff Motorpoint

Twitter: @KhizzyJ
Old 04-11-2012, 20:21
Desire on its knees

Got mine, LOVE everything especially Sean (and his apt T Shirt) in the DVD.

watching everything I can't believe it's been over 20 years - and still no other band like them
Old 04-11-2012, 20:45
Builder of routine

Passed the Tube test with flying colours
Old 04-11-2012, 23:33
I live to fall asleep

So to the peeps who have their copy (I have to wait until Christmas) how long is the documentary, what are the highlights and what exactly is the rest of the DVD consisting of? The more details the better Thanks.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39
Doors slowly closing

Listening to it on Deezer now, definitely sounds better but You Love Us is still a muddy mess.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40
Doors slowly closing

Overall I'm very happy with the box set, the DVD especially was better than I expected.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

Are anyone elses cds broken? They work, as far as I can tell, but CD3 and the dvd have cracks around the hole in the middle.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:31
Knowlede Is Power

Still awaiting the postman! It sounds great. Hope he won't be long
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37
Bored of being bored

My art print & booklet are screwed but the cd & dvd are fine.

It is a thing of beauty though.

EDIT: & Jesus the demos are amazing!!

Last edited by Napoleon Bonaparte; 05-11-2012 at 10:49.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01
An imitation of dignity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
Ironically, this one has been remastered by JDB and someone called Tim Young. I Googled him (Young, not JDB) and here's what I found.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...n/18/pop.music

Hmmm, so there he is explaining everything he went on to do to GT. In his defence, this is the norm nowadays and fans moan about it with every remastered release. The complaints fall on deaf ears. I think that's the problem. The people who do these have gone deaf from all this noise. Not even joking.

The 2009 remaster is the best version to my ears and the one to use if you're still into making comps.
Haha sort of confirms what I always assumed: the people making remasters are guys like my dad who have spent 20yrs+ either stood next to an amplifier or working in the studio with them. Both parties from the generations when you had to go to eleven, maaan. All subsequently have some degree of hearing loss and either don't notice or are quite happy to deafen everyone around them regardless.

Hopefully get around to watching the DVD and listening to CD2 in a bit. Interested to see if I will still sort-of-maybe-kind-of want the box or be content with what I have after that. How good is the booklet?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01
Freed from the century

Anybody else not got theirs today? postman knocked but it was a parcel for next door just to taunt me! Our postal service is a bit third world around here but I'm 10 mins from Cardiff,not outer Mongolia
Old 05-11-2012, 11:26
Stretched out in the sun

Finally turned up, got it on now. Half wanted to go straight to cd3 but I'm gonna do this properly, on first disc now. Love the packaging. Hard to pick fault with it at all, but with a gun to my head I'd moan that it doesn't have the US mixes on. I still want to know what the hell James is saying at the end of You Love Us.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculptureofabloke View Post
Finally turned up, got it on now. Half wanted to go straight to cd3 but I'm gonna do this properly, on first disc now. Love the packaging. Hard to pick fault with it at all, but with a gun to my head I'd moan that it doesn't have the US mixes on. I still want to know what the hell James is saying at the end of You Love Us.
It's "We're dead end dolls!" repeated in various ways

Facebook
Twitter
Old 05-11-2012, 11:39
Doors slowly closing

no sign of mine yet, but reading here i have sent a precautionary mail to the Manics site, basically shitting all over them. they insisted on a delivery address rather than a PO Box, which is fine as i assumed this meant courier or similiar. reading here it seems that regular mail is being used?

that's me a bit fucked, then, as we do not have street deliveries here, hence me having a PO Box and companies like HMV and amazon having no issue sending to it!
blog